Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

group tiki art projects?

Pages: 1 29 replies

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 6:30 AM

i used to belong to an internet artists' group. once a month, we would randomly select an idea/theme, and everyone in the group would do a small work based on that idea/theme. thorsten's super-cool tiki playing card reminded me of this.
would anyone be interested in starting something like this on tiki central? the first one could be the tiki playing card - we'd be able to see how all the different styles here approach it. other ideas could be as simple as monster tiki; tiki hut; mood lit tiki; specific tiki deities, etc...
whaddyas think?

edit:
we could even move around polynesia and do a marquesan one month, a moari one month, etc..., or do weird stuff like tiki clocks and other strange items.

[ Edited by: Rain on 2004-02-02 06:32 ]

8T

Hey Rain, I think that sounds like a very fine idea. Sadly for me, the great artists and carvers who have shown their works here on T.C. have more artistic talent in the fingernail of their pinkie fingers than I have in my whole body on my very best day.
So I wouldn't be much of a contributer to that creative challenge. Although I would love to see others present their interpretations. You would definitely have to take this idea on as a coordinator to see it take flight though. I hope that the artists here could find time to work on those things you suggest but I wonder if many of them aren't too booked with jobs coming in for their works to be able to participate.

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 7:24 AM

well, it's not about "talent" or anything subjective - i wouldn't compare myself with flounder or thorsten any day - it's about having fun and encouraging community activity, really - part of the great thing about seeing different styles isn't saying which is "better," but seeing how different they are, so i would encourage people to participate if they want to, regardless of perceived ability.
i also wouldn't want to take up unnecessary amounts of time, especially from those lucky enough to get paid to do artwork, so i think just simple, fast stuff would be the best. :)

Hey Rain, here's my entry from a while back...

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-02-02 08:09 ]

In.

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 8:41 AM

ok, well we have sam and flounder and myself in, at least (and 8ft tiki - you should participate if you have any desire whatsoever) - so let's say the first half of february is tiki playing cards :)

8T

Thanks for the invitation to participate. Personally, this one is out of my league but I promise to watch this topic closely and make an attempt whenever possible.
I thought of one thing that is pretty simple and nearly anyone could try: Carving a candle into a tiki. It takes only a candle (any size or color) and exacto knives to carve. I did one of these on a whim and found it was pretty fun. When the carving is done you just brush off the remaining wax crumbs with a small paint brush and then use a hair dryer to heat it up and melt the wax dust in the cracks and anywhere else it is necessary. Mine turned out better than I expected.
Oh and about the card deck...I'm not an illustrator or graphic-capable person so would someone please consider doing a card of the #8 featuring a charicature of our big buddy the 8FT Tiki???? I would LOVE to see that!!!

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 10:01 AM

that's a great idea, 8ft -
shall we try carved candle tikis for the end of feb?
let's say we'll present our tiki cards on the 15th/16th, and candle tikis on march 1? anyone? beuller? beuller?

8ft, why don't you do a candle for an 8 of Tikis card? I'm trying to think of something to do myself, If I do think of something I'll post my idea & what I did.

S
SES posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 10:46 AM

Sounds fun. I'm crazed with projects but I think this would be great so will try to get something in! We had a similar project at FIT designing a line for a certain person.
I chose Lady Godiva.
I've had a card project(wanted to create a tarot series) in the works forever! Might spark me to actually finish it.
Last time I did any carving was in the 70's so the candle might be a good one too. Stretch the limits.
Why not make the project deadline date the end of the month? Would be easier to remember.
:wink:

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 10:52 AM

yeah, i've been thinking about a few different tarot decks for a long time, too. it's a lot of work, isn't it?
ok, end of the month. :)

S
SES posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 11:28 AM

YES! Also, I've been researching the meanings of everything on the cards so I don't misinterpret what they represent. The cost to actually produce them is out of my league too.

C

Cool project!

A little off topic, but my grandmother had a drawerful of double deck card sets. So when I first encountered Shag's works, I thought the Blue, Green, Orange and Red Wahines would make great art for double deck sets.

S
SES posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 12:38 PM

Lightning has struck and just got a GREAT idea for one... Off to sketch it up now...
:wink:

T

I'm in toO! tHis isn't my entry, just what I've done.

Here's mine:

Did I kill this post?

R
Rain posted on Fri, Feb 6, 2004 5:28 PM

On 2004-02-06 17:09, nice fishy wrote:
Did I kill this post?

yes, you bastard.
:) no, i think we're all just working on our submissions. i'm going to start a new thread entitled "tc group project #1" or something when it gets towards the end of the month.
nice job so far, everybody :)

Here's my entry a little early - gold leaf and enamel tiki on metal.

R
Rain posted on Fri, Feb 20, 2004 12:48 PM

oh man, very very cool - now you've got two in the mix :)
i can't wait to see what others have done. if anybody else has, that is. mine will be along before monday.

Nice work, nicefishy (you Photoshop MADMAN). Bring it on, Rain - can't wait to see it.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-02-20 13:03 ]

8T

OK Rain, the project deadline is only a couple of days away. As I said before, I'm not gonna have an entry for this one but how many others are gonna add a card to the deck?

R
Rain posted on Fri, Feb 27, 2004 4:07 PM

dunno - whoever wants to... mine apparently is going to be a last minute job, since i'm back in the architecture studio 7 days a week.

S
SES posted on Fri, Feb 27, 2004 10:31 PM

Mine is going to have to wait till I return from NY. I just smashed my hand in the studio. Right now it hurts just having it attached to my arm. I immediately put ice on it for 2 hours and it's still black and blue and swollen. Hope I didn't break something in it. Good thing I travel light.

Me thinks we will need to choose a font for the not-so-interesting cards numbered 2 - 10, as well as tiki-stylized hearts, clubs, diamonds, and spades.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2004 11:11 AM

i know i'm a shit - i started this thread and didn't deliver on time - but you guys should carry on - it's a fun group thing, i think. i hope to make some time to contribute soon, but architecture studio here is pretty much 24/7.
r

On 2004-03-02 11:11, Rain wrote:
i know i'm a shit - i started this thread and didn't deliver on time - but you guys should carry on - it's a fun group thing, i think. i hope to make some time to contribute soon, but architecture studio here is pretty much 24/7.
r

Sorry guys I'm with Rain. Way to busy right now.

8T

Since I couldn't submit a card for the deck, I figured I could submit pics of the candle I carved. It is 6" tall. Anyone else done one just for fun, (I mean not for creating a mold to produce multiples of your creation) ???

Save the Tikis!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-07-20 16:14 ]

Very nice, 8FT. I'd hate to burn that...keep it around a while!

http://www.samgambino.com

B

8ft, that IS Really nice. You should make a mold of that one, I think it should sell well.Super creativity and imagination.

Pages: 1 29 replies