Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

HGTV Design on a Dime episode

Pages: 1 15 replies

8T

Aloha. Did anyone else see an episode of this show broadcast Sunday night where the room was getting a Polynesian makeover?
I don't know if this was a rereun or not but I didn't see it mentioned in a previous post search. I don't recall what city they were in but during one segment, Charles went to a store to get some accessories and I think the store was called "Wacko" ???
Anyway, he picked up a hula doll, and a tiki mug but I was so amazed to see the shelves behind him jammed full of tiki mugs! They were everywhere. And he just grabbed a green one and said "it's within the budget" and then left. Where is this store? Surely some of you know about it. I bet it is in the LA area. Anyway, I know they are contemporary mugs but jeez, the selection was large and I would have liked to have that camera linger on them a bit longer.

M

8ft,
Wacko is in Hollywood, CA about a mile or so down the street from Tiki Ti. The La Luz de Jesus gallery is in the back of the store.

They carry loads of tiki mugs - Tiki Farm, American Gift Corp, Bosko, Accoutrements, etc. and the La Luz gallery has a few Bosko tikis as well. Shag has art shows frequently here too.

I've never been to Wacko, but I bought a fiberglass brontosaurus of the Sinclair/miniature golf type from them in the late 1980's. My take on the store at that time was that it was very good at anticipating the next trend. When I bought that dino they were clearancing dinosaur stuff though it was still at the crest of the trend wave in the midwest. Its good (or not, depending on one's wishes) that they are into Tiki now.
I was surprised that they actually made me a good deal on the dinosaur since I assumed they were an upscale boutique. Apparently an 8' dino was taking up too much floor space. Hey, maybe I should have called myself 8FT Dino.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-02-02 14:29 ]

PK

Damn hippies.

On some episodes of Design on a Dime they sit around a table to plan their decorating, and there are 2 tiki mugs holding pens and pencils on the table.

Wacko/Soap Plant/Luz de Jesus is a dangerous place! ikitnrev have compared notes, and both of us consider ourselves as VERY lucky if we can get out of there having spent less than $100. The book section alone will suck your wallet dry.

Wacko/Soap Plant/Luz de Jesus is a dangerous place! ikitnrev have compared notes, and both of us consider ourselves as VERY lucky if we can get out of there having spent less than $100.

I don't suppose they have any big fiberglass tikis? You know, with some shipping lines that have a fiberglass stage scenery rate, it doesn't cost as much as you'd think to ship such things.

Anyone know the name of the episode? I want to TiVo it, but none of the upcoming ones seem to have a title with Tiki in it.

-g-

On 2004-02-04 15:22, TikiGoddess wrote:
On some episodes of Design on a Dime they sit around a table to plan their decorating, and there are 2 tiki mugs holding pens and pencils on the table.

I think Lee Snijders, the host, is a tiki fan. I saw an episode today where he was visiting a salvage store looking for brick wall covering and came upon some BIG tikis. He made some comment about "having to get these!"

On 2004-02-02 07:53, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Aloha. Did anyone else see an episode of this show broadcast Sunday night where the room was getting a Polynesian makeover?

Unfortunately, the tiki mug did not appear to survive the cut to be part of the final make-over, a tragic mistake.

Did anyone else think the 3 fake dendrobium orchids was a little heavy-handed? I know it created a good "craft" segment, but fake plants seem contrary to a real Polynesian decor, particularly when they are available at any Trader Joes or, better yet, on San Pedro in downtown LA for cost-effective prices.

3 Tiki statutes would have been far more appropriate.

TJ

Mmmm Summer - She always looks like she wants some but is surrounded by a block head gay named Charles and the Snyder guy.

On 2005-08-31 13:07, Pacific Andy wrote:
Mmmm Summer - She always looks like she wants some but is surrounded by a block head gay named Charles and the Snyder guy.

Yeah, I'm with you. Summer wants it bad. Maybe a little "summer" sandwich.

Steak

The episode will replay October 6 & 7, 2005.

It is this one:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_dod/episode/0,,HGTV_9056_27927,00.html

I cross referenced it by the phrase "Hawaiian."

[ Edited by: christiki295 2005-08-31 17:52 ]

Did a bit of searching and found this on the HGTV site:

"Snijders' passion for entertaining and design began at an early age. In 1990 he created Lee Snijders Designs, which encompassed his love of interior and furniture design. In 1995 he was given the opportunity to work with Walt Disney Imagineering as a dimensional designer, where he became part of the WDI creative team. For four years he helped create numerous theme parks and attractions. While continuing his residential interior business, Snijders’ new dream was to be a part of the growing home decorating television market."

Pages: 1 15 replies