Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

B

I think that would be the wait tho I'm not quite sure .

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-01-18 07:05 ]

B

Here's another # 53. It should be # 54 so I'll change it. It is made from a very Hard Piece of Zebra Wood sent to me by Onatiki some time back(Thanx Ona). It is 3 1/2" tall by 1 1/2" wide by 1/2" thick. This Tangaroa should be offeed to the next on my list and so on thru the list until it is claimed or not, which then it goes up for grabs,

I know this is not on the list but the first several on the list are large carvings that I just can't do now. I did not know what this was going to be when I started it. Thanks again Onatiki

Hey Ben....He's a cool design..whatever
he was...and whatever he is! I might change
my order and have you do a large version
of this one when you're up to it!

Ben, forgive me for stating the obvious, but was this one inspired by Cheeky's logo? The resemblance is there, though he's not peeing. At first glance this one looks great. But then take a look at the micro-zoom shots, and WOW! Not a chisel mark or scratch to be seen. Mirror smooth finish. Not if, but when I commission a BenZart original, I'm gonna have to pick up a jeweler's magnifying glass to go with it to truly appreciate your attention to detail.

Ben-
Another amazing carving!!!! I love the carving, the grain, and the color of the wood. It is beautiful. I can't wait to have my own Benzart carving. (Hint, Hint) Thanks for sharing another masterpiece with us!!!!
Later,
Spermy

O

Ben,
Another beautiful piece. The grain in the wood is pretty interesting. Glad you were able to use it!!

Somebody better claim this one fast :wink:

Happy to see you're getting back into the groove.

Ben,
Put my name on the list for another carving.
I get tons of copliments on mine all the time.
Best to ya my friend.

K
kauno posted on Fri, Jan 28, 2005 8:01 AM

That is pure gold, Ben. Amazing!

Ben, thats really cool.
Would love one myself.

B

Thanks everyone,
congatiki, no problem, however it would be hard to find a piece of zebra wood that big,
Aaron's Akua, though is is very similar it is not taken formCheeky's logo, tho I've thought about it several times. This was on the web, on the front of a bar.
Spermy, I'll work you in somewhere down the line,
OnaTiki, Thanks, I Love the wood but Not working with it. It's very hard
Unga, Thanks a ton, got yer name up ther.
Kauno, thanks, I wish I could trade it for gold, ounce for ounce. That would be nice
Hey Cheeky,you Would love it, I love your logo
No one has laid claim to him yet. Maybe I'll keep him since I need one to wear for myself?

That's another BEAUTIFUL carving, Ben! The finish is beautiful as well. Each carving is so different in design, but each one never fails to floor me. You'd never know that the wood is hard to work with by looking at the carving.

http://www.samgambino.com

Perfect. I don't know what else to say. Don't ever take your talent for granted. You are the best.

Is the true color represented by the yellowish pics or the orangy pics? Either way, it's an awesome piece. I won't be surprised if you claim that one for yourself.

B

Raffertiki, its more the yellowish like in the Next to last shot. I'll update the pix of the finished piece under bettr lighting later.
Thanks Sam and Finkdaddy too.

Sublime Benz, just sublime.

Ben - that piece is so amazing, just beautiful! Add me to your list of people lucky enough to one day become an owner of a Benzart piece! Naturally, I'm partial to the Zebra Wood!

B

Here is the finished product. & layers of lacquer, sanded in between

I think I se some bald spots where he needs a couple more coats of lacquer.
JT, You been sqweezinLime juice into your Sub Sandwiches againLast time I saw him Runnin down the Aisle screemin for limes for his sub, Sub-Lime, Sub-Lime Sub-Lime, and all they had was lemons,
ZebraTiki, I can see how you might be partial to Zebra Wood. And I just happen to have some more, and I just happen to have you on my list. I think I reLly like this guy. I'll have to see how he wears and what kind of comotion he stirs up.
Thanks guys, you know every one of you Could do this if you had someone to teach you.
HappyHappyHappy

Benzie baby. I gotta have one made from Zebra wood. I'd like to commission you to carve one of my new mug coming soon.
Dig? I'll send you an image of it. But, keep it in your "Top Secret" file please.

B

OK JT, I'm sure no one knows yet, I'll keep a lid on it. Have to start lookin for a piece of zebra wood that large.

Benzart ROCKS!

B

Thanks Revrend, I appreciate that I rock. or did you mean I throw rocks,or are you telin everyone to pick up their rocks now and throw them my way.
No one on my list has claimed this guy yet.

On 2005-01-29 19:48, Benzart wrote:
Thanks Revrend, I appreciate that I rock. or did you mean I throw rocks,or are you telin everyone to pick up their rocks now and throw them my way.
No one on my list has claimed this guy yet.

Send me a bill!!! (if no one got him yet)

B

You mean if noone bounced a rock off me yet to send you the bill? I'll sit still next time

If Ben falls through, I'll take it!

B

The Revrend BambooBen has claimed the tangaroa. I may make some more in the near future so hang tite Peeps.
I Have to make myself a piece sometime soon. I feel naked without a piece, tellin someone what I do with my spare time

B

Here's the next new piece. About 1 1/2 inches sq by 3/8 thich made from Chadua wood. Very dark and Very hard.

Damn Ben, how are we supposed to catch up when you keep changing the rules. I like it!

VERY NICE, Ben. It's great to see you posting such cool pieces regularly again. These new ones are really something else.

F

Almost brings a tear of joy to my eye. Great work as usual, Ben. How long is your waiting list anyway? I would love to be on it.

B

Thanks guys, Raffertiki, We don't know all the rules , so we make new ones as we go. That way we are never breaking the rules, just adding new ones. I can't make it Too eazy for you now can I?
Sam, Sam, sam, thank you so much. I think if I posted pictures of sawdust, you would like it.
I'm not quite back to the regular carvings yet, but I've got to do Something to keep from losing what little mind I have left.
Finkdaddy I'll start posting pictures of kleenex tissues with my work just for you...
My list is up to Only 21 including yourself. What would you like when I get to you?
Thanks again everyone.
I think I'll put this over on the Tiki Marketplace since that's what it's for.

On 2005-02-03 07:15, Benzart wrote:

Sam, Sam, sam, thank you so much. I think if I posted pictures of sawdust, you would like it.

Maybe so, but remember that I do own 3 Benzart pieces. Consider me a diehard fan.

B

Sam, you are one of My Best fans AND Friends too. I'll not forget that!
Thanks.

T

Put me on the list for something Maori-styled, with the tattoo lines on the face. I figure by the time you get around to mine I will have saved up for it by then. :wink:

B

Tiki-Bot, you are on the list. Thanks for the support.
Goodnight

Ben,

Please add me to the list. It's almost embarrassing being added at this late stage, but each carving just seems to have the edge on the last one, and it's been difficult to know when to get listed!

My preference is for one of your patented life-like Maori faces. I'm sure I've said it before, but you're really up there with the top-notch Maori carvers.

Trader Woody

B

Thanks Twood. I don't think the maoris are quite down to my level but I like the comp anyway. You are # 24 on the list. Guess I beter get busy.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Feb 4, 2005 7:03 PM

I think that there needs to be a book that has talented people like Benzart showing how he does what he does. I need to try something like this so I know how faR behind I am.
How much time is general spent on a peice and where do you get your little bits of wood to start with.

B

Thanks Teakey, The last, square one took me about10 hours to do not counting the several coats of lacquer. Wood i get from everywhere. Some from ebay, some from a local woodcarvers club and some from TC'rs. Look thru these posts and you will see a Lot of "how-to's" and information.

On 2005-02-03 07:15, Benzart wrote:
My list is up to Only 21...

And I count two more after that post. Put me on the list NOW, Ben. I've been waiting way too long to figure out what I want, and at this rate I'll have plenty enough time to deliberate.

B

Well hello Aaron's Akua, Did you mean you want to be put on my list Right now, or now later, or sometome now. Actually I did put you on my list and you are # 27. I'm not sure what therush is to get on my list, but it seems to be a popular list to have ones name hanging out on. All I can say is Thanks everyone.
At the top of the list are several 12"to 20" pieces which I cannot physically do now so I'll need to rearrange the schedule a bit. I'll do my best to keep the list straight with my physical difficultis interfering the way they are. Also I have been talking to Holden at Tiki Farm and I will be doing Something with them Also, so that may be squeezed in between the list pages here and there, but Everyone will get their benzart. Thanks all,
HappyHapyHappy

Hey Ben! I love that zebra wood tangaroa you did! Your carvings are so unique...I still love my #14 moai to bits.

WHat size zebrawood piece are you looking for? I might have a piece...pm me when you get a chance

Keep posting - I love checking out your carvings!

T

Hey Benzo

I have been thinking about it since I posted here last. I have been thinking that I would like to be put on the list. I think that it would be one of the most expensive tiki purchases and rewarding too.
I like the Moai's that you do, the best. It would have to be a darker wood with some grain still showing. And the little arch in the neck. Although the tattoo face craving are very well done and probably harder to do, they remind me of a certain childhood figure that is very scary.
My favorite of all the 55+ is the one that you did for Gecko. It makes for a sweet necklace charm. The weight is at the bottom. I usually don't like that figure cause it would make a bad mug cause of the little bodies they usually have. Could you added me to your list but maybe email me the price for a moai or (maybe a Gecko type)? I was thinking that if it was a bigger piece I would like it around a dark kukui nut lei but then probably wouldn't get to wear it as much, so maybe that is a later project. I would like to have something more personal and at the same time would like you to have artist freedom and your interesting sight. What if it was a moai that had my features (long nose dark eyebrows) . Now that I think about it I guest I look like one. I could send a bunch of pics and give you a challange.
I spent one night and looked over all your stuff. :)

B

teaKEY, Ihave you on my list. You are # 27 but don't worry, I'll get to itone day. The first 6 or so are large pieces of 12" and up so I will be working on pendants at the same time as thoes guys. I also have some commercial stuff to get out too somewhere in the mix. I'm Really chompin at the bit to get started.
Thanks TeaKEY

T

I saw your reply and it got me drawing first thing in the moring. Will post later today. I'm sure that I will only love it more the longer the wait.
With the close-up camera shots you do, its almost like you show us your Benz(art) through your pride full eyes.

SEE YA SOON

[ Edited by: teakey on 2005-02-18 13:27 ]

B

Heers another Lesson tiki. thistime most all done withnthe fordham/Dremel except the eye lid cut outs wee done with the trusty hook blade knive.Also used a small v-liner for sone final detail around the eyes and the name on back. I have some new carbide bits and figured this would be a good way to learn how to use them

I promised this one to SpermWhale
This wood is Makore, a Really fine hard wood and it is Beautiful to boot and was sent to me by Tiki Matt, Thanks Tinki Matt.

I can see that new finger is working just fine!

Top notch Ben!
Good to see you full-on again!

Thanks Ben-
It looks great and I am looking forward to get this guy in the mail.
Later,
Spermy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies