Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

How excited should I be about this Yma sumac find?

Pages: 1 4 replies

D

I found a pretty mint condition 10" LP of Yma Sumac's "Mambo" for 5 bucks at a flea market over the weekend. The vinyl is in near mint condition and the cover save for a few weird scuffs is near mint as well. I bought it off this Asian dude who manages to have some really cool stuff and lets go of it for low prices. I bought an amazing copy of Webley Edward's "Fire Goddess" off of him a few months ago. I don't know where he gets this stuff from in such great shape, but he gets it. But the Yma Sumac record is one of the best finds I've had all winter....

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-03 20:39 ]

Great song...one of her more pitchy numbers..

i dunno - i'm spoiled paying $1-2 a piece for records at the thrift stores and estate sales... i guess if you were looking for a very specific piece of rare vinyl, i'd pay $5-10, but that cover had better be awesome...

Cool album cover

D

Futura...
I wish I knew where you were shopping. Here in the Big Apple, finding an LP like this (a 10" no less) at 5 bucks is not a total miracle, but makes for a good day on the vinyl dig. I'm always on the hunt for the nice 1 & 2 dollar steals.

Here's my top three el cheapo vinyl finds:

1. John Lennon & Yoko Ono "Two Virgins"
    That's right folks. This is the infamous platter by our two old pals from the 60s in all their naked glory on the cover (or as my girlfriend's 2 1/2 year-old twin nephews say "nakee, nakee") I got this in total mint condition with the crazy paper bag sleeve for one American dollar at a Salvation Army. A damn good find in my book.

2. Hmmm I can't think of anymore really el cheapo finds that were amazing. But for good measure I 'll say:

The Rolling Stones "Through the Past Darkly" (octagon cover) in really good shape for a buck and...

1. Lynyrd Skynyrd "Street Survivors" with the cover photo of the band 'on fire'. This LP in this particular cover, as you may know was pulled by MCA after the plane crash that killed singer Ronnie Van Zant and a few other band members way back there in 1977, and was reissued with a similar photo on the cover with the band standing against a black background. I also got this one in very good shape for a buck.

I have more exotic LPs to brag about but they weren't purchased for a dollar. So I can't say they are giant triumphs. Maybe three at the cheapest, but I've laid down like 5, 10, and 15 for a few revolvers.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-03 23:26 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies