Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NYC Tiki Collectors/ and those going to Tiki Oaisis IV

Pages: 1 28 replies

A

Hello group,

I just started collecting less than a year ago and now find that my collection nears 100 items, with mugs, a Shag serigraph, lighters, ashtrays, Shag tie, etc. etc. etc.

I would really like to meet other NYC and nearby area collectors and was wondering is we could arrange a Sunday or Monday night at Otto's or Waikiki Wally's. I think it could be a fun night to meet fellow collectors. (I work nights the rest of the week).

If you have interest please let me know and how to contact you and I will be happy to make arrangements.

Also, I am seriously thinking of going to Tiki Oasis IV in Palm Springs, and it would be great to meet other people from my area that have either been or are going this year as I don't expect to know anyone when I get there. I would also like to know what to expect, so that I would have advance knowledge about what these weekends are like.

Many thanks ahd I look forward to hearing back from many of you.

All best,

Alan Sumac

T

In my Tiki travels, I've found the finest hospitality from other TC members everywhere I go! NY is well represented, I'm sure it won't take much encouragement to get them to go out for a gathering.

Also, for Tiki Oasis, you could go without knowing a soul, and leave with a great number of new friends! Hope you can make it out, its always great to meet new Tiki freaks.

TC

On 2004-02-04 19:12, AlanSumac wrote:

I would really like to meet other NYC and nearby area collectors and was wondering is we could arrange a Sunday or Monday night at Otto's or Waikiki Wally's. I think it could be a fun night to meet fellow collectors. (I work nights the rest of the week).

I'm always up for a TC event. Not sure when I can meet up though.

Tiki Oasis??? Only the best tiki event of the year!!! I have been the past two years and definately will be going this year. The first time I went it was cool, but last year was out of control! Every thing was great, the music, the mugs, the carved tikis and especially the people...if I do recall, the Mai Tai's were VERY good too! You will love it! Let's meet up there, I'm up for a group toast, who's in?

I've been looking for an excuse to visit Otto's for a while now. Heck, I haven't been to Waikiki Wally's yet either. I'm up for going on Monday the 23rd. Either reply here or with a "personal message" to confirm.

S

Aloha Alan,

If we make it to Oasis this year, me and mine would be pleased to meet you. We'll know more in the coming months. Heck, if you're in LA/OC area, I'm sure many of us would be happy to meet up with you and show you around. Once you know your plans, drop me a line.

As far as the Big Apple Ohana is concerned, I've always found the NYC/NJ group a mighty hospitable bunch. Just pick and date and run with it, man! You gotta see the Fishermen at Otto's.

Hey Alan,

I'm definately going to Tiki Oasis; in fact my whole band (The Fisherman's Vibraphonic Trio) is going! If you're going to come to Otto's, you should come down on a Monday night. We play every Monday from 9-1am (except for Feb. 23 & March 1st) I've got a small collection of mugs, but nothing to write home about. I'd love to hear more about your collection. Hope to see you at Otto's soon; definately see you down at the Oasis. Take it easy...

--tikidrummer
http://www.fishermansburlesque.com

S

Hey Tiki Drummer,

Just got your message and replied back. Send me your email address so we can keep in touch about your visit in May.

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-02-09 17:44 ]

We should try to make a date for Monday the 16th at OTTO's.

With a tiki celeb like Crazy Al in town jammin' with the Fisherman, its gonna be the night to go!

Anybody?

MC

So, is it confirmed that Crazy Al is on his way? Let me know--cuz I would love to meet him. And you too Alan!! Thanks for showing interest. New faces/ tiki drinkin' buddies are always welcome.
Manic Cat

he is on his way, we are on for Monday at the Shrunkin' Head!

okay-dokay.
see you for the Fisherman set!
L

I'm brand new here, but my husband and I would love to meet other tiki fans in the NYC area. I've been collecting less than a year, but have christened our sun porch the Tiki Room and it's on its way to becoming a nice oasis in our decidedly non-tiki neighborhood!

MC

Can you make it for Monday night around 10pm at Otto's Shrunken Head on 14th b. a and b?

We can't make this coming Monday, since we won't be in town, due to the three-day weekend, but we'd be open to another week. We'd need to do it on the early side, since we have a long trip home, but we'd love to meet everyone. Thanks.

There's a good chance I can make Monday. I just hope my boss doesn't get offended by frequent naps at my desk on Tuesday.

T

hey guys
I'd be happy to host a Monday Collectors Night at Otto's. We'll designate a little swap area and Fisherman will provide the entertainment.
steve/owner Otto's
called w/ details 917 488 0112

MC

That's a great idea about the swap meet!
sorry if we missed you last night, Nice Fishy. Did you stop by?

mcat,

Sorry about the last minute bail-out, but mife wife wasn't up for the 90 min. comute, and talked me into watching Quadraphenia at home.

What did I miss?

MC

I understand--it was hard to tear my boyfriend and myself away from our rental of "Tenancious D"
next time!

But, what did I miss?

Last night was great fun! The Fisherman was in rare form and he had a virtual orchestra, due to celebrity soundings of Eric on Steel and C-Al on skat/coconuts!

There was a bit of go-go and Steve and the gang behind the bar served up potent potables! Ps. the place really looks great especially when in full swing like it was last night.

Was it this thread? Or am I answering another? Kyle is the awesome lead guitar from Fisherman who plays some fierce surf style soundings, so I can only imagine that what ever he’s planning is gonna be good…

T

hey thanks to all that came down to Otto's on Monday to give Brian Fisherman a great 1 yr. anniversary and vacation send-off. I spoke to him at the end of the night and he was floored by the response and although the NYC tiki contingent isn't large the definately make up for it in enthusiasm. You guys are great! Thanks for coming out on a Monday and supporting our little scene
steve

I am so sorry group, but I didn't get any of your messages until tonight 2/21.

AOL took all of the Tiki Central replies and dumped them into my SPAM folder....I don't know why, this hasn't happened in the past. Unless perhaps I accidentally hit the SPAM button on one of the emails and it set it permanently? Does any one know? Or how can it restore it so this doesn't happen again?

Anyway, I would still love to meet fellow Tiki collectors and the person who posted an idea about trading & collecting at an evening at Otto's has a brilliant idea.

Unfortunately, I am not available this Monday night, 2/23 and the postings listed that the main band will not be at Otto's on 2/23 and March 1 anyway.

How is March 15th for the NY gang & area?
This is the first Monday I have open and would give us a little time to organize it and figure out how many are coming.

If someone can help me co-organize it I would greatly appreciate it. I am still interested in going to Tiki Oasis, I know Caliente Tropics is long sold out as a hotel choice, but perhaps we can all talk about it and also discuss our collections, etc. It would be great to meet fellow Tiki people from my area at Otto's.

Please feel free to write me directly at my email I just created: [email protected]

It won't have any spam blocks or anything like that on that email account since I just made it.

So feel free to write with notes, comments, suggestions, etc.

I am still on the lookout for more Hawaii Kai items. I just hit paydirt as an old friend of mine didn't know I collected tiki and after I told her she told me she was holding an old menu for over 25 years in a box. It was a menu from Hawaii Kai in near mint condition! She gave it to me as a gift!!! Talk about making me happy....

Anyway, sorry to be so wordy, but let me hear from you and let's chat about March 15th at Otto's.

Mahalo,

Alan Sumac

[email protected]

Yo A-S, come to Oasis. Don't be shy with your name. You will find that you will fit in very well. Almost everyone on this site seems to get along well. The events go off! Trust me!

P.S.- FELLOW TIKI FANS...I will get in touch with the owner of Otto's- Steve and find out what we can do on March 15th for starters and try to get a big NYC & area turnout.

I think it could be a blast and we will have a chance to meet many people and chat TIKI.

Aloha shirts required! Yes it will still be winter, but we can stash our coats somewhere I'm sure! I'm psyched to help arrange this.

Best,

Alan Sumac

[email protected]

I'd still love to come to one of these nights at Otto's. The next few weeks are a little tough and I'll be in Cancun on March 15 (I know, boo hoo, poor me!), but I'm glad to see there are so many active tiki fans in NY and I hope to meet you all one day!

I can go but only if Fisherman is back from Mexico.
M C

YES!!

Fisherman will be back at Otto's Shrunken Head on Monday March 8, and every Monday after that for the rest of eternity. (At least until we travel out to Palm Springs for Tiki Oasis IV!!) Hope to see you all down there...

--tikidrummer
http://www.fishermansburlesque.com

Tiki Mondays @
Otto's Shrunken Head
538 E. 14th St. (bet. A & B)
9:30 - at least 1am
{{{FREE}}}

Pages: 1 28 replies