Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Gilligan's Island Box Set

Pages: 1 25 replies

I just laid down $25.99 at Costco today for the boxed set of Gilligan's Island DVD's "the complete first season" which includes 35 episodes plus a rare series pilot. I thought it would be a cool thing to have around as background noise when we're shaking up a few tropical cocktails. Gilligan's Island is also OK for the kids to watch.

Cheers,

KT

[ Edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-02-13 00:44 ]

I feel good now about buying the set. My girls "6 yrs and 2 1/2 yrs" really like it, and that is priceless!

By the way, how many of you knew that the Professor was also a Scout Master?

Cheers,

KT

By the way, how many of you knew that the Professor was also a Scout Master?

In the show or in real life?

I don't seem to remember an episode...but it would fit if he was in real life. Well groomed, knowledgable and (as my mother liked to say) "always very presentable". Kinda like my former scout master!

In the first episode they describe each of the marooned party. They said thathe was a professor and a well known Scout Master.

Cheers,

KT

8T

Yes, The professor aka: Roy Hinkley was a Boy Scout leader. Never heard if the actor Russell Johnson was ever associated with the BSA.
By the way Kreaky, was that a set of DVD's?
I have lots of episodes on VHS that I bought at a yard sale for $1 per tape. They were put out in a club type offer (like Columbia sells tapes & records) and each has 3 episodes and is in a nice box with great colors and photos.
EXTRA CREDIT: Does anyone remember the Skippers' name?? Hint: Initials are JG

Save the Tikis!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-02-09 14:21 ]

S
SES posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 2:21 PM
M

I am a Gillian's Island hard core nut. In fact I created a computer font called "Gilligan's Island" It is an exact recreation of the opening credits font style. I'm picking up the GI DVD set later this week!! I sure hope the come out with the other seasons!!!!

C

Skippers name is: Johnas Grumby.

I won a trivia contest in bar once with that and got a free beer. I watched the episode where they were in a court room and being sworn in, it always stuck in my mind as a kid, because it was the first and only time I ever heard his name.

I also remember the episode where the Pink Panther talked too.

8T

Captnkirk....You are correct sir!

By the way, I think you must have won a GIANT beer and drank it right before you started hearing pink animals talking.
And when did the Pink Panther ever drop in on Gilligan & the gang??? I don't remember that episode. HA HA HA just kiddin' ya.
What was Mary Anns last name? HINT:Starts with S

And now for the perennial question: who was hotter - Mary Ann, Ginger (or Mrs Howell)?

On 2004-02-10 08:59, Tiki_Bong wrote:
And now for the perennial question: who was hotter - Mary Ann, Ginger (or Mrs Howell)?

Mary Ann, no hesitation. Probably skewed bucause Dawn Wells herself is such a nice person - she spends a good deal of time in the Tampa Bay area and is extrememly gracious to fans when out 'n' about.

I always liked Mary Ann, and she's nice in person, too (I met her in the Toluca Lake Honey Baked Ham store, where I've also met Jonathan Winters, Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne).

After Gilligans pot arrest & the subsequent information about where he got the package, we know that she likes the [/i]Bong[/i] best...

Happy Birthday Tina Louise ... 70 today.

On 2004-02-11 08:16, freddiefreelance wrote:

I always liked Mary Ann, and she's nice in person, too (I met her in the Toluca Lake Honey Baked Ham store, where I've also met Jonathan Winters, Tom Petty & Jeff Lynne).

I sincerely hope you mean seperately. The idea of all of them hanging out together buying ham just messed my mind up!!

Here's the ultimate GI trivia question: What was Gilligan's first name?

Lousy hint: It was never mentioned in any episode...

Bod Denver was an old friend of my dad's (and there's an earlier, little-known pot bust involved in that relationship). I've got a picture of him with my family and some friends when we moved to a small town in Oregon in the early 70s. You can imagine what a stir that caused in sheep-ranching, lumberjacking Glide, Oregon...

Gilligan's pot smokin' is probably what led to their desert island vacation.

Also, from the official Bob Denver Website:
"And don't forget to tune in to the TV Land Awards on
March 17. Dreama and I will be there, along with Russell, Dawn, Tina and lots of other classic tv stars. Should be a fun night!"

I just got back today, after being in Minnesota for 4 days, and the kids were watching the Gilligan's Island DVD's still. My wife said that GI is the only thing that they have been watching. They did get a little scared during the episode when they come across a Japanese soldier that still thinks WWII is being fought..... what a great value!

Cheers,

KT

I'm back! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Season 2 of Gilligans Island is out on Tuesday 1-11-2005.

I'll be picking it up. It kinda bums me out that season 2 is in color. I like the b&w ones so much more.

Just think, only season 3 and then thats all. You can get the Gilligans island movies sometimes at best buy in the bargain bins. Those movies are really bad. Even worse than some of the dream sequences and thin plots in season 3. The last movie Mr Howell is so sick and unhealthy its almost too sad to watch. Anyways..I'm rambling......

Just thought I'd let everyone know about Season 2 on Tuesday.

Erich

OK kids, I wrote about this in "TIKI TV-A Pagan Godhead In Every Livingroom" in Tiki News #10:
The episodes that feature Tikis are the 1964 "Waiting for Watubi",where the main gimmick is "Kona", a bad luck Tiki that the Skipper is trying to get rid off (Sherwood Schwartz, who also created the Brady Bunch, must have dug that bad luck concept).
Kona looks very much like a Milan Guanko Tiki, and I have one just like it. I do not know if it is THE Kona, because it has lathe marks underneath and must have been done in several copies. But I have never seen another one.

The other episode is the 1966 "Voodoo", where the gang finds an idol in a cave. it is the strange little Moai offered as "Easter Island bust" on page 187 of the BOT. Have that one too, but it was definitely mass-produced, in plaster, with black lava-like finish. They painted it gold for the G.I. episode. :(

The "Castaways" restaurants in Burbank (still stands, but no Tiki) and Las Vegas took their name from the show, obviously. Paul Page had a great song on one of his albums called "Castaway".

Officially Gilligan doesn't have a first name, but the name "Willy" was considered.

BigBro,
There are 1 and a half other episodes of Gilligan's Island with a tiki. I can't remember the name, but the episode where guest star Don Rickles kidnappes Mrs. Howell, Ginger and Mary Ann. When the Howells go to pay the ransom for one of the girls, they Thurston Howell has to climb up a tall tiki and place the money in the mouth.

The other episode, that only counts a half--or maybe even not at all. Is the one where Gilligan finds a "totem pole" with a carving of a Kupa Kai king that looks just like him. In fact, that's what I named my home bar- the Kupa Kai Lounge

A8

Gilligan's first name is Willy.

Target has all 3 seasons
3 box sets
$9.99 each

Pages: 1 25 replies