Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

How bout them "White Stripes!"

Pages: 1 39 replies

My hometown band rocked it down tonite-Give em' a hand!~~Cousin Dave

UB

I did a lot of those white stripes in the eighties.

Kidding aside; I like the White Stripes.

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Feb 8, 2004 8:33 PM

I love the White Stripes...but I took an oath after the Milli Vanilli fiasco that I would never watch the Grammy's again for the rest of my life.

What song did they play?

Seven Nation Army and then Jack just let loose on the strings and jammed-it was fun!~~CD

[ Edited by: Cousin Dave on 2004-02-08 20:51 ]

[ Edited by: Cousin Dave on 2004-02-08 20:51 ]

UJ

white stripes rock, and that's all i have to say. oh and meg is a cutie, but not a good singer.

D

All I can say about Meg is, NICE RACK! And I'm not talkin' about the drum kit.

For more info on this subject check out
http://suicidegirls.com/boards/Music/29228/

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-08 22:03 ]

Home town boy done good.

Was happy to see 'em get some well deserved recognition.

-Z

T

Was the performance at the Grammy's comprable to their live performances? I was completely blown away and wondered if it was unplanned. I don't know much about the group (duo) but they definitely made me do a double take. I guess I will have to do some more research.

T

Is that the band that has some sort of clothing schtick going - one wears red and the other wears white?

On 2004-02-09 09:14, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Is that the band that has some sort of clothing schtick going - one wears red and the other wears white?

Not just red & white, but the shade of red from White Stripe Peppermints.

On 2004-02-09 10:06, freddiefreelance wrote:

Not just red & white, but the shade of red from White Stripe Peppermints.

Oh my!

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 11:08 AM

Speaking of Grammys:

I was very happy to see Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video win for best Short Form. I remember my jaw dropping the first time I saw it... by far the most moving/powerful video I've ever seen.

-Z

And props to June Carter Cash as well.
Aloha,
:tiki:

GT

Yup, dead people did quite well at the Grammies this year.

Although he lacks the commitment of the other artists, Luther Vandross was given credit for almost dying, as well.

On 2004-02-09 12:06, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
I was very happy to see Johnny Cash's "Hurt" video win for best Short Form. I remember my jaw dropping the first time I saw it... by far the most moving/powerful video I've ever seen.

The Canadian version of the album comes with a free DVD of 'Hurt' which I've played to a bunch of people. Everyone who has seen it has either cried or found the song keeps coming back to them days later. Heart-wrenching stuff.

Love the White Stripes too, BTW.

Trader Woody

Back to the Stripes.

They are pretty great live, Jack is an awesome guitar player! The concerts can get a bit rough though, and he has a tendency to get a little belligerent.

I have met him too! He is super tall (6’4”) and they do that outfit thing every where. They wear black, in addition to red and white, 3 colors; they also got some weird #3 mojo thing.

We like them too.

Hey Inks,

You didn't tell me you met Jack!

I bought Elephant based on your recommendation and I've been wearing out the CD ever since.

Good stuff!

Aloha again my cohorts in tiki crimes,

Been thoroughly enjoying all the posts on the "Stripers." FYI, if you missed Jack & Meg in action Sunday night, you can now download a video of their much touted Grammy performance at:

http://www.whitestripes.net

Enjoy and Mahalo to all!

~~CD

D

Cousin Dave!

Thanks for posting that clip. I was real curious about how they did on the show 'cuz I missed it. I've seen the White Stripes perform live a total of six times since 2001 and they are nothing less than spectacular. As a musical entity they renewed my hope that good music could still be made within the mainstream. And, although my opinion has soured about them as people, for reasons I won't discuss here, I think they will definitely have a place in history on par with Hendrix, The Who, Zeppelin, etc. when this current chapter of Rock music comes to a close.

Oh yeah...not enough close ups of Meg in that clip!

Arty-

Oh sure, Jack and go way back!

Clothing schtick... Beatles, Elvis, Funkadelic... They're in good company.

T

On 2004-02-10 15:54, Al_Malaikah wrote:

But nobody surpassed The Monks for best clothing schtick - and best hair!

In case you haven't heard of them they were a 60s garage band of American GIs based in Germany.

_ _
/
/
/
_

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-02-10 16:10 ]

K
Klas posted on Tue, Feb 10, 2004 4:17 PM

YEAH! The Monks!

D

OH MEG!

http://entertainment.msn.com/photos/gallery.aspx?gallery=2898&photo=191161#photos

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-10 21:46 ]

On 2004-02-10 16:09, thejab wrote:

On 2004-02-10 15:54, Al_Malaikah wrote:

But nobody surpassed The Monks for best clothing schtick - and best hair!

In case you haven't heard of them they were a 60s garage band of American GIs based in Germany.

_ _
/
/
/
_

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-02-10 16:10 ]

MONKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMPLICATION!!!!!!

Brilliant.

TG

Jab, You and I are going to have to dj a night at some club halfway bewteen SF and LA.

TG

If you're a White Stripes fan, you might want to see the movie "Cold Mountain". I went to see it about a month ago and was surprised to find out that Mr. White is indeed in it playing the part of a musician in the second half of the film.

I guess it doesn't hurt to be dating a movie star.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Feb 10, 2004 10:54 PM

On 2004-02-10 22:11, vintagegirl wrote:
I guess it doesn't hurt to be dating a movie star.

actually, he met her on that set. he got the job because he could sing that sort of music. :)

R
Rain posted on Tue, Feb 10, 2004 10:55 PM

personally, though, i'da stuck with meg.

T

On 2004-02-10 22:06, TikiGardener wrote:
Jab, You and I are going to have to dj a night at some club halfway bewteen SF and LA.

TG

Great! Hanford and Lemoore are about halfway, right?

I'm spinning records this Monday night at the Lost Weekend Lounge in Alameda. Come on out if you like 60's garage, punk, and soul, 70s and 80s punk, and a few more recent bands thrown in. My buddy Jeff is joining me on the turntables as well. It's my first night there so if it goes well hopefully I can do a lounge music night in the future.

I spin alot of the same stuff, along with some hillbilly swing, Jump Blues, popcorn soul, ah hell I just bring a huge box of records and play by sense of smell.

White Stripes Tiki link:

Elephant was recorded at Toerag Studios in London with Liam Watson as the engineer. Toerag is joint-owned by Liam & Josh Collins who designed the Tiki decor for the South London Pacific. Both are very involved in the Wild Weekend & Las Vegas Grind series of Tiki influenced events.

How's that for crow-barring in a Tiki reference? :wink:

Trader Woody

T

On 2004-02-11 01:21, TikiGardener wrote:
I spin alot of the same stuff, along with some hillbilly swing, Jump Blues, popcorn soul, ah hell I just bring a huge box of records and play by sense of smell.

I love all kinds of music as well and would usually play it all (rockabilly, hillbilly, honky tonk, surf, r&b, 50s group vocal, garage, punk, blues) but the owner wants 60s and punk on Monday.

I guess I'm going to have to be the lone voice of dissent regarding Jack & Meg. First, I'll admit that I've only listened to Elephant once, in a record store, and did not feel any inspiration to buy it. The endless playing of the singles off it didn't raise my desire to possess it any. But I do like the Stripes OK. I do have their other CDs. I just feel like there other bands doing the same sort of thing that I like a lot better, i.e. The Kills, The Black Keys, Tarbox Ramblers, Mr. Airplane Man. They may not all actually do the same thing as the Stripes but they more or less come from the same place, a mixture of blues and garage rock. The difference is probably how far they take it in the rock direction. I really like Delta Blues, the kind of stuff Fat Possum puts out. I'm not educated in the blues at all despite Martin
Scorcese's best attempts to educate me. But I do love that raw Mississippi delta sound. And the rock bands that I like most seem to lean more towards remaining closer to that spectrum of the blues than the Stripes do. It's seem more raw and more authentic, as authentic anyway as some middle class white kids can make it. Just my opinion. I'm interested in hearing what other groups in this vein you all like.

M

The White Stripes are pretty cool IMHO, if a bit overhyped. And ...psssst...don't tell anyone....but Meg can't play the drums for shit. She's better now, but that was a real learn-as-your go situation there. eek.

D

Martiki-

I don't think Meg White's musicianship has anything to do with the success of the White Stripes. Yeah, she can't play that well, but I think that was the point. The White Stripes are good at what they do; combining blues and garage rock in a pretty unique way. But they are also, dare I say, a novelty act in some respects, and they've been cultivating that from the beginning with the candy stripe motif, and the brother/sister, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife thing. That's why I don't think it's realistic to criticize Meg for her drumming. She ain't no John Bonham, or Ginger Baker but she plays what's needed for their sound. I'm a huge Beatle fan, and even though Ringo is somewhat underestimated, he's not the greatest drummer in the history of rock either. But he was good for the Beatles' sound and image. Don't get me wrong, I don't worship The White Stripes, in fact I think what Jack did to the singer of the Von Bondies was pretty horrible. Maybe the guy deserved it, but I kinda doubt he needed that kind of trouncing. Apparently it was because he spoke negatively of Jack's production on their last album. That requires a beating?

Hey Jack. Your first name maybe Jack but your last name isn't Nicholson. Go take a quaalude, put some Blind Willie McTell on the turntable, and quit beatin' up guys that are skinnier than you.

Enough babbling. Meg White should just pose naked somewhere and we'll just call it a day. :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-11 22:21 ]

Jason from the Von Bondies

Ouch!

Remember that Jack White was going out with one of the Von Bondies for a while, so there's also a bunch of relationship stuff thrown into the mix.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-02-13 01:50 ]

D

Isn't that just a horrible photo of (Von Bondies lead singer) Jason Stollsteimer? The reason why his face is so badly beaten is because Jack white wears 'rings' on (I think every finger) on his right hand. These 'rings' aren't quite jewelery either. I don't know what the term is for them, but they are those rings used for pipe fittings and such that are screwed tight at their center. (You have to use a screw driver to fit the rings around whatever it is you're fitting). In any case that's what Jack wears and that's what was getting pounded into Stollsteimer's face. ...Nice goin' Jack.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-13 06:44 ]

Pages: 1 39 replies