Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Coco joes history

Pages: 1 4 replies

There has been lots discussion about Coco Joe's history. Who is he? What is he? Where does he come from? I got a book while I was at the LA Pottery show, Aloha Spirit, Hawaiian Art and Popular Design from Schiffer. The book was published after a 1997 show at the California Heritage museum in Santa Monica.

The man who started it all was Don Gallacher, he bought a gift shop where he made key rings and magnents. He used a mixture of lava and resin. They were so popular with tourists, he expanded to a factory on the North Shore of Oahu to sell throughout the islands.

The book also states Don is now retired and growing macadamia nuts on Hawaii. And the figures are still being sold (this book was published in 1998) without the lava.

Another piece of the Coco Joe's history.

E

Thanks johnnievelour, I am always hungry for more CJ info.

em.

Johnnievelour, I second emspace's "thank you." Research into the origins and present states of tiki places and artifacts is where this site really shines. The Coco Joe's vs HIP thread was the most entertainment I've gotten here so far. After reading reports that the Coco Joe's stuff was showing up manufactured by a Chinese company, I started emailing ABC stores in Hawaii trying to find out exactly what, if anything, they carry that is from Coco Joe's or HIP molds. So far I've gotten back only form emails and am awaiting a catalog. I'll let the group know if I find out anything. Is there anyone here who can give us an on-site report from Hawaii?

So the founder is growing macadamia nuts, is he? Its too bad he's retired considering that some US companies make tourist trap figurines from a combo of resin and various nut shells. Hmm...Macadamia Joe's?

N

I always felt a little strange about owning those Coco Joes lava tikis ever since someone told me that taking lava rock away from the islands can bring bad luck.

The Waikikian Tiki Gardens
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

I always felt a little strange about owning those Coco Joes lava tikis ever since someone told me that taking lava rock away from the islands can bring bad luck.

Just send all your Coco Joe's to me and I'll take them back to the islands...someday. Yeah, thats the ticket.

Actually, I doubt there is much if any "lava" in them but that would be interesting to know. It may be like when gift shop owners in Rome tell the tourists that the merchandise was all blessed by the pope when actually, once, he blessed all the efforts of the merchants of Rome. Yeah, I can see a dash of pumice thrown into a huge vat of black resin. But whatever the case, they look cool.

Pages: 1 4 replies