Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Who the Hell is Mitch...

Pages: 1 7 replies

And why can't he sing by himself?
I am so sick of digging through the record bins at the thrift and having to wade through all of the various "Sing Along With Mitch" albums.
O.K. I feel better now, thanks for listening.
Aloha,
:tiki:

8T

SON OF A MITCH....DON'T YOU JUST HATE THOSE THINGS! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!
Gotta give the credit/blame (whichever it is ) to the previous generation I presume.
I've heard the seniors in the family say they actually used to get together to sing at friends houses usually gathered around something called a piano.

I'm going to venture a guess here...

are you talking about Mitch Miller?

This guy does a lot of "sing alongs" for kids and his music sounds like the type of music "respectable" people would have listened too. He also sold many, many albums through the 50's and 60's. Other than that, I don't know much about the guy.
I too, find stacks of his records wherever I go shopping and I finally broke down and bought one, just to see what he was about. It was worth every 23 pennies I spent on that LP!

"Hey! Careful, man! There's a beverage!" - The Dude

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-02-09 13:51 ]

Mitch Miller was head of A&R at Columbia records throughout the 50's and well into the 60's, until Clive Davis took over the company. He's the one that dropped Frank Sinatra from the label because Frank hated the songs Miller was pushing him to record.
Here's a decent bio of him: http://entertainment.msn.com/artist/?artist=129641

GT

Interesting guy.

He used to have a TV show for the deaf, so they could sing with him, too.

K
kctiki posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 3:53 PM

It was "Sing Along with Mitch & His Bouncing Ball" on his TV show. They played the tune & the lyrics scrolled along the bottom of the screen with a round ball that bounced from word to word so everybody could sing along in unison.

It was kind of a snore. I prefered to watch Mr. Moose drop ping pong balls in the Treasure House.

DZ

Oh, bummer...

I thought we were resurrecting the ILL Mitch thread...

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6475&forum=6

I remember "Sing Along With Mitch" on T.V. when I was really young; maybe 4 or 5.

Pages: 1 7 replies