Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Fairness?

Pages: 1 18 replies

TM1

This post is a sincere question for Basement kahuna and Susane.

Is "the ideal mai-tai" an original topic, never before discussed on This website?
Or is it redundant, like my previous post regarding "tiki fonts", which was locked up by you after 12 replies?

Just curious!

S
SES posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 2:13 PM

On 2004-02-09 14:01, tiki mick wrote:
This post is a sincere question for Basement kahuna and Susane.

Is "the ideal mai-tai" an original topic, never before discussed on This website?
Or is it redundant, like my previous post regarding "tiki fonts", which was locked up by you after 12 replies?

Just curious!

Aloha tiki mick,

Why are you asking me? I don't moderate the forum.

I'd like to see a special section just for drinks though.

I've never even tasted a Mai Tai. I'm a cognac person.

TM1

Aloha Susane....

I guess I am still a little miffed that my last topic got locked out!

As I recall, a lot of you did not want me to discuss Tiki Fonts anymore..

So, I got a little jealous when I see a post for "the ideal mai-tai" and 65 people are allowed to respond..

I know it's been 2 weeks or so, and maybe I am being a big baby....

But I like this website, and get a lot of good ideas from it, (even good ideas for better Mai-Tais)..

but I don't want to start thinking that this is some private club, where some people can post redundant topics, (and everyone including Basement Kahuna responds with much enthusiasm), while others are locked out by people who decide after 12 replies that "it's been talked about" and that's that!

I guess my question is about the fairness of it...look, I was strongly lectured that I should have searched first before asking my non-political, non-offensive, innocent, and apparantly redundent question about the exciting and beautiful Tiki calligraphy from the golden age......

It still seems to me that BK just decided to teach a newbie a lesson....
But thid makes me think about Dog-town and Z-boys...

If you have seen the movie, you know that these kids were great surfers, skaters, but very territorial...it did not matter if you knew as much about surfing as they did, or if you were a kind and decent person, or a great surfer..right or wrong, if you were not "in" with their group, you were not aloud to surf their beach! In fact, concrete blocks were dropped on their heads by the locals, to strongly dissuade them from ever showing up again!!

No concrete blocks here, but locking my topic feels the same to me!

T

There was a post a long time ago about the fonts. It is in the searchable archives. As for the Mai Tai post, it was started in July and has continued to grow as a result of additional beneficial posts. As a group I don't see that many newbies being bullied. The ones that do are usually one time posters trying to sell their stuff on Ebay. Multiple posts of similiar topics waste space.

TC

[i]On 2004-02-09 14:13, susane wrote:
I'd like to see a special section just for drinks though.

I was thinking about that the other day. I think another forum devoted to drinks is a great idea!

S
SES posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 3:14 PM

On 2004-02-09 14:42, tiki mick wrote:
Aloha Susane....

I guess I am still a little miffed that my last topic got locked out!

As I recall, a lot of you did not want me to discuss Tiki Fonts anymore..

So, I got a little jealous when I see a post for "the ideal mai-tai" and 65 people are allowed to respond..

I know it's been 2 weeks or so, and maybe I am being a big baby....

But I like this website, and get a lot of good ideas from it, (even good ideas for better Mai-Tais)..

but I don't want to start thinking that this is some private club, where some people can post redundant topics, (and everyone including Basement Kahuna responds with much enthusiasm), while others are locked out by people who decide after 12 replies that "it's been talked about" and that's that!

I guess my question is about the fairness of it...look, I was strongly lectured that I should have searched first before asking my non-political, non-offensive, innocent, and apparantly redundent question about the exciting and beautiful Tiki calligraphy from the golden age......

It still seems to me that BK just decided to teach a newbie a lesson....
But thid makes me think about Dog-town and Z-boys...

If you have seen the movie, you know that these kids were great surfers, skaters, but very territorial...it did not matter if you knew as much about surfing as they did, or if you were a kind and decent person, or a great surfer..right or wrong, if you were not "in" with their group, you were not aloud to surf their beach! In fact, concrete blocks were dropped on their heads by the locals, to strongly dissuade them from ever showing up again!!

No concrete blocks here, but locking my topic feels the same to me!

tiki mick,

Life is too short to hold crap inside. It will eat away at you if you do.

If you read the FAQ you would understand that a locked topic is not meant in any way to be a personal insult.

You have been registered at TC longer than I have so I don't see the "teach a newbie a lesson" point of your post.

If you want respect from people then you need to show some in return. It's not something that you can get by demanding it. Jealosy is not an attractive trait and isn't something that I ever allow in my life and I certainly don't want to hang around others who display it. Take a deep breathe and let it go... relax and enjoy TC.

TM1

Susane, I would like to relax, very much...that's why I come to this site in the first place...however, I am hesitant to ever post here, because you people are a bit selective about who gets a topic locked, and who does not..yes, I know it does not mean much to have your topic locked...in the grand scheme of things, it is just a small thing...but it still feels like I was being told to shut up...and you know what? That does bother me! And it would probably bother you too.

Well, I am not going to keep on talking about this..I just wanted to point out how unfair it was for Basement kahuna to lock up a topic after 12 replies, because somehow it insults darn near everyone here to talk about subjects that "have been talked about already"...

But talk about something that Kahuna and others like and agree with, and we can open old threads, post 5000 replies and it is fine with you?

Ok, I have made my point...

And you have made yours....mai-tais are ok, tiki style calligraphy is forbidden..check!...got it!

TC

On 2004-02-09 15:33, tiki mick wrote:

Well, I am not going to keep on talking about this..I just wanted to point out how unfair it was for Basement kahuna to lock up a topic after 12 replies, because somehow it insults darn near everyone here to talk about subjects that "have been talked about already"...

But talk about something that Kahuna and others like and agree with, and we can open old threads, post 5000 replies and it is fine with you?

Ok, I have made my point...

And you have made yours....mai-tais are ok, tiki style calligraphy is forbidden..check!...got it!

ARE YOU ATTEMPTING A 2-FOR-2 TOPIC LOCK?

i love it when old threads are opened & revisited. it's a thoughtful & organized way to share info w/ others.

there's a lot of wonderful information on TC & if you hang around awhile, you'll find that pretty much everybody here craves learning about tiki. i can't think of anybody who actually wants to disrupt the flow of tiki knowledge.

some of us really use tc for research & appreciate the efforts the moderators make to ensure that information is as accessible & as retrievable as possible.

i sincerely doubt bk meant any harm by locking your thread. but if you really take offensive to his actions perhaps you should discuss it w/ him & not involve the rest of us reading the main discuss forum.

take care,
tiki chris

<I apologize if the originally tone of my post came across as belligerent>
[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-02-09 16:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-02-09 16:25 ]

On 2004-02-09 14:50, Turbogod wrote:
There was a post a long time ago about the fonts. It is in the searchable archives. As for the Mai Tai post, it was started in July and has continued to grow as a result of additional beneficial posts. . . . Multiple posts of similiar topics waste space.

To expand upon what Turbogod said, there's often a lot of great info in those older threads. To start a new thread, means that either the info previously provided must be repeated, or that info is not provided at all.

When you make use of an existing thread to make your point you're doing a service to everyone else interested in the subject too. For example, suppose I want to know more about Tiki Fonts and do a search on the subject. It'd be great if I could find all the relevant info in one place.

Edited to add:

On 2004-02-09 15:45, Tiki Chris wrote:

oh c'mon man! if you have something to add about tiki fonts i for one would love to read it but i would appreciate it if i could find all tiki font info w/out having to look all over tiki central for it.

i actually have been researching tiki fonts & find that the fewer threads the better. the info you seek is/was/will be there (wasn't this discussed already?).

Argh! This is what happens when I start making a post, and then go do something else and come back to an open reply. Somebody else makes my point, only they do it more clearly and concisely.

[ Edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2004-02-09 16:01 ]

T

Tiki Mick, I think you've been hanging around Bong too long!

But seriously, I was surprised to see your topic locked. The last font reply was April of last year. There could have been other font discoveries and creations since then. Should we lock all the topics under "Collecting Tiki" that show what people recently found, because they didn't add it to the already 36 page long topic "Tiki Finds"?

With all the creative minds that make up TC, many with web pages and graphic intense projects, it only seems natural that there would be the occasional topic asking for font & clipart help.

If repeated topics is such an issue, how about having to submit our new topics for pre-approval (yeah yeah, you are all going to go nuts over that suggestion!)? Or can moderators append a duplicate post to an existing one?

Even though it wasn't the intention, getting your topic locked kind of makes you feel like you've done something really wrong. Just look at the past trend of locked topics.... the font topic hardly seems in the same category!

Tiki Central is the most friendly liberal forum I've ever encountered. Nothing runs perfectly, so I would expect a few things like this to come up on occasion. Decisions are made to keep the forums up within their capacity, though not everyone is going to all agree. Just have a mai tai and move on!

H

I think that tiki mick's point is getting lost here. The question that he asked in his original font post was a new question. All of the previous threads about tiki fonts had to do with finding fonts of today; tiki mick's question was asking what the fonts were that were used then.

This is akin to asking the names of the carvers who did the great tikis in the golden age, then being told to go look at the works of Crazy Al, ChikiTiki, and Benzart. None of the responses to his post answered his question, either because people didn't read his question carefully, or they just didn't understand his question. Then, his post got locked before anyone knowledgeable about typeface history could reply to his query. Frankly, that does suck.

Polynesian pop has a rich history and part of what makes it fascinating is the breadth of creative areas it covered. I, for one, am every bit as fascinated with the typefaces and graphic design of the period as I am about carving. It's understandable that carving has a heavier presence than typefaces, but why on earth should all typeface related queries be smooshed into one thread? Now, those other six threads all asking generally where to find modern tiki fonts -- that I can understand. But this was different. Take a moment to go back and read his original question.

That said, tiki mick -- take it easy, bruddah. Don't let this spoil your TC experience.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 4:54 PM

Mick,
Here is the answer. The other topic has been revived. That is, someone was interested, found the topic and replied to an existig thread. You, on the other hand, did not look into the existing threads and add to them. There were 5 font threads, and likely one of them could have been added onto. Those 5 were pointed out to you.
You were not being picked on. Just the new system here where you are encouraged to search before you post. And if you find a thread on your subject, and if your question isn't answered or you have something new to add, post there. Otherwise, we end up with 6 threads on fonts, when, 1 would have been better for all of us.
It is also in the rules not to restart locked threads, which I think you have done here. If you have such a question, as Hanford or a moderator in private.

TM1

My point to all this is simple.....

I really don't think we should be locking ANY topic, UNLESS it is offensive to someone...other then that...let it go! Don't any of you have old relatives that go on and on about "when I was in WW 2"

Gee whiz, I would love to shut grandpa up!

This site is a discussion board, yes?

I understand a few of the rules..but let me remind anyone who is interested...I opened up a new post about "tiki fonts" and the moderator locked it up and said "ok, we have talked about this enough"..(after only 12 replies)
I received a few negative responses from TC'ers who told me that I should have searched before I asked a question...ok, I will buy that, I guess....but really, it's not like I asked a left field question, you know? some people were actually interested in the same subject...although, most of the replies were directing me to websites with Fonts for sale, for your computer..which is not really what I was asking for originally!

One person directed me to a cool book, which is nice...but I still wanted to talk about it, hear what some of you Tiki experts have to say on the subject, and maybe meet some penpals that have similar interests!

Whether opening a new post, or resserecting an old one, what exactly is the difference?

Either way, it fills up the website, and if you really wanted to streamline the site, opening an old thread does the same thing, no? either way, we talked about mai-tais three years ago, and today 66 people wanted to talk about it..

At least a few people wanted to talk SOME MORE about tiki fonts, but the post was locked, and I was told to research, and possibly open up one of the old threads!

fair is fair!

This should not be so controversial, that it gets locked.....I never showed any of you my right breast, you know?

Mahalo....tiki font for president '04

TM1

One more point to make, then I will shut up....Perhaps 66 people did not reply today..maybe only one did..and it brought the post back up...but why did the moderator not immediately jump in and lock it up, like he did mine?

8T

Well said Humuhumu.
Tiki Mick- I know you addressed this to 2 specific members but I hope you do not mind the dialog of a few others. I understand your frustration and the feeling of needing some real clarity about how to proceed on a topic here on TC. I think if we would be honest with ourselves, we would admit that many (but not all) of us here have at times not faithfully done searches in the archives before starting new threads. That said, I really think that this whole discussion has not necessarily been a bad thing. In fact, once we all get beyond it I think we can view it as a good thing! It has raised an awareness that we as individual members of this fantastic community may need to be reminded about following the procedures set up by Hanford to make the site work in the best possible way. Although I have never met him, I believe he is approachable and very open minded to suggestions to improve the site as is evidenced by the changes made in the past few weeks.
The main thing we should try to take from this discussion is that we do not want to drive anyone away or make members hold back any information that they would have contributed had they not been afraid that they were going to make a mistake of some kind.
Since this began I have been using the search feature a lot and I have tried to police myself by checking the house rules before starting a new thread. They're pretty simple but I think we should all get to know them better. A quick click can help anyone find out where to go to post something.

In summation, it aint a perfect world but I hope EVERYONE OF US can swallow some pride and learn to help one another to keep TC running smooth. And remember that the archives are so chocked full of great stuff, it's fun just to dig in and see what has been discussed in the past. Folks, don't get stuck on reading just the current threads!
Thanks for reading my opinions. 8FT

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 6:19 PM

Mick, you missed the point.

Why add to an old post rather than start a new one? Because there is a lot of info in the old thread that does not need to be said again. If you add to that old thread rather than starting a new one, it shows you did search first and read what was there and find it didn't answer your question. And anyone reading your new post will know what has already been said too so they may not repeat.

Is it not better to have one long thread about fonts than 6? Obviously it is. So, just search before you start a new post. That's the rules. If you find nothing, post a new topic. If you find something that isn't exactly what you wanted but close, add to it and show you did your research and give anyone replying to you, the research you did as well.

That is what is the difference. That is how we keep the message boards from growing out of hand and restarting old topics in new threads. That is what is trying to be done here.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 6:24 PM

mick,

I think you just got hit with a stray bullet. Wrong place at the wrong time. Don't take it personal. If you posted that thread a week earlier or a week later probably wouldn't have been locked. Musta been bad juju in the air that day.

H

Swanky, I almost completely agree with you. My own personal preference is to not end up with big giant threads that actually could be split up into a handful of more specific topics. Just as it's a pain in the keister to end up with redundant posts where the same things get discussed over and over because no one bothered to do a search, I also find it bothersome to have to dig through a many-page thread looking for a sub-topic conversation within it. It's all about a balance of organization.

Personally, I think tiki mick's question was different enough to merit its own thread. In this particular case, of course, your suggestion would have worked well -- it would have been clearer that tiki mick was asking for something different. But is that how we should be organized? Highjack another thread and say "I want something that is NOT what this thread is about?"

This topic has been covered previously in the following thread: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7417&forum=1&31

Pages: 1 18 replies