Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Pixies Announce North American Dates!

Pages: 1 24 replies

Woo Hoo!

For once I'm actually glad I live up in Calgary! One of my perennial faves, the Pixies, have announced a small 11-date pre-tour of Western Canada and the United States.

I've been wishing for this since they disbanded 11 years ago!

The Pixies! I saw them open for U2 in 1990.
Hope you get to see them Slacks!

I was in High School in Boston a little after they got HUGE (and they got huge quick too). I remember seeing in the Boston Pheonix that they would play the occasional show, and all my friends would go. I, on the other hand, was "too punk rock" for those "corporate bands" that were played on the radio. Boy, was I stupid. It wasn't until much later that I realized who and what they really were. Now I wish I had gone!
So...I too am very excited about the reunion tour. I'll go anywhere to see them...even large corporate sponsered events! Any news on the other dates except Coachella?

K
Kenike posted on Mon, Feb 9, 2004 6:22 PM

I'm a big fan of these guys (and gal). I saw The Pixsters at UNC during their last tour....'91 or '92? Anyway, they SUCKED! I was SO disgusted. All Frank did was scream off key, they were out of tune, and they acted like they couldn't care less. Kim hardly even glanced at the audience and stuck to simple basic bass lines. If I didn't know the songs so well I would have sworn they were a different band...but this is also right before they broke up so maybe they had just had enough? I dunno, but I'm thrilled they're back together. I'll watch for them in Dallas. Anyone know if there's a new album in the works or are they just playing 'wait and see?'

:drink:

H

I've always heard that the Pixies were really awful live, but I can't say personally, I never got to see them. There's a Pixies tribute band in Seattle called No. 13 Baby that's supposed to be fantastic, but again... never got to see them.

D

http://www.frankblack.net/news/

One of the best bands I have seen live is Frank Black and the Catholics. I have LOVED every show I have gone to of theirs. Franks screams are meant to make your ears bleed! I'll be at the show in May at the Coachella Fesiveal in Indio, I can't wait to hear Joey rip it up live and in the flesh! In tune or not..good, bad...whatever...bring em on!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7168&forum=6&vpost=69669

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-02-09 22:44 ]

I had to wash the Pixies dishes one time after the Grit, this vegetarian restaurant in Athens I used to work at back in '90, catered their gig at the Ga. Theatre. Does that count?

NICE

One of the best bands I have seen live is Frank Black and the Catholics

Yeah, I agree. Everytime I've seen them I've been completely mesmerized by Frank Black. You would never image that a man who looks like him could produce such awesome screems during songs and be so mild-mannered the rest of the time on stage. Of course, each time I saw them play I'd always wish they would cover a pixies song, and it never happened...until... a few years ago, as an encore, they played the slow version of "Wave of Mutilation". That made my millenium.

I'm a big fan of these guys (and gal). I saw The Pixsters at UNC during their last tour....'91 or '92? Anyway, they SUCKED!

by that point they all hated each other (I heard it was mostly Kim and Frank, but dunno). Check out:
http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies/
for news and information.
Does any one know the name of Joey Santiagos band that he was in recently? Were they called the Martinis?

"Hey! Careful, man! There's a beverage!" - The Dude

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-02-10 09:01 ]

D

Ticket info...
http://www.coachella.com/ticketinfo.html

You would never image that a man who looks like him could produce such awesome screems during songs and be so mild-mannered the rest of the time on stage.

Just proves the point "you can't judge a book by it's cover"

Does any one know the name of Joey Santiagos band that he was in recently? Were they called the Martinis?

Yes The Martini's, David Lovering was the drummer for a bit too, I don't think he still is. And Joey S's wife is the singer I think.
As far as the Pixies growing to hate each other, I find it interesting that Joey Santiago played on a few of Franks solo albums, and David Lovering toured with Frank doing a Mad Scientist act, a pretty funny show.
http://davidlovering.com/

But never anything with Kim Deal. To bad people let ego's get in the way....now back to Tiki :tiki:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-02-10 10:58 ]

Actually Surfer Rosa is on my list of all time top records. Lotta memories there!

Ok BK, you and the lil' lady can come out to California for the fesitval May 1, that will give you 5 days to explore the Tiki wonderland that is So Cal. then May 7 Tiki Oasis. Come onnnnn! You know you wanna!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-02-10 20:08 ]

Great News!
Here is a paragraph taken from:
http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies/index.htm

In April, The Pixies will kick off an 11-city "warm up" tour of North America, marking the first time they've toured together since 1992's massive "ZOO TV" in support of U2. This string of dates will culminate on May 1 when the band co-headlines (with Radiohead and Kraftwerk) the first night of this year's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival to be held at the Empire Polo Fields in Indio, CA. The band will then embark on a European tour starting May 28 and ending July 10.

S

One of my all time favorite bands.

Kinda bummed I'll be outta town for Coachella but hopefully they'll play some of the smaller venues somewhere in OC/LA.

Surfer Rosa is also one of my personal faves, but you can't go wrong with any of their albums.

And no screams like Black Francis!

Thanks so much for the info. They have always been one of my favs, and Dinoauar Jr. Even through my punk rock and hard-core stages I still listened to the Pixies.
I checked out http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies/
They didn't mention one of the Pixies albums ?? this is my life, or I missed it ?
Are there any ideas on where they will be in the US ?

On 2004-02-09 21:44, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I had to wash the Pixies dishes one time after the Grit, this vegetarian restaurant in Athens I used to work at back in '90
How funny!
2 things:

1.) I am VERY easily pleased at a live show by any good band, so when I say the Pixies was one of only two shows in my life by a band I loved that disappointed me/bored the hell outta me, you KNOW I'm not being picky. (the other show, BTW, was Big Country. Yes, in full-fledge '80's mode at that time!))

(I saw the Pixies show in Austin, with an opening band that was great, the Zulus. Recognized immediately the voice of their lead singer as being that of the male vocalist for Human Sexual Response, a great Boston band whom I saw open up for - drum roll please - Mission of Burma, on New Years Eve in Boston!! All the groovyness comes full circle.)

2.) The 2 Trader Vics plates I own came from the above-mentioned Grit!! Magic moment during Drive-Invasion, the morning after ikitnrev and I had been whoopin' it up with Tura Satana and Haji (of FPKK fame) at Trader Vic's, Atlanta. I look down in the remains of my delicious Grit cowboy omelette, and there staring back up at me is the famous TV shield! Vern thought there was maybe a roach in my food, the way I was freaking out!!

Talked 'em into selling me my dirty plate - they asked for $2. I gave 'em $4!

Happened again a coupla months later. Lightening does strike twice!

Well, I wasn't able to get tickets. It sold out in 20 minutes.

I'm feel like the guys from Pearl Jam cause I hates me some ticketmaster!

Dang! Rats!

-Slacks

Here are the official tour dates (if anyone cares). Looks like Canada wins this round...

April 14; Burton Cummings Theatre; Winnipeg, Manitoba
April 15; Doris Knight Ballroom; Regina, Saskatchewan
April 17; Prairieland, Saskatoon; Saskatchewan
April 18; Red's; Edmonton, Alberta
April 19; MacEwan Hall, Calgary, Alberta
April 21; Victoria Curling Club; Victoria, B.C.
April 22-23; Commodore Ballroom; Vancouver, B.C.
April 24; Big Easy; Spokane, Washington
April 25; The Big Easy; Boise, Idaho
April 27; MacDonald Theatre; Eugene, Oregon
April 29; Freeborn Hall; Davis, California
May 1; Coachella Festival; Indio, Calif.

Hey Polynesiac,
Check out that concert in Indio / right in your backyard!
With Kraftwerk and Radiohead.
Wish I could be there.

I was told I have a ticket for that event from a friend of mine...but haven't heard heads or tails since. Should be a fun show - lots o' different musical styles playing all day.

I was actually kind of hoping that the pixies would play a show or two in locations that were a little easier to get to and from. Maybe after their Europe tour? We'll see...

Frank and band played a great show here in Milwaukee last spring... and Lovering did his wierd science act before the show... he made a pickle glow like a lightbulb...

We were able to talk with Frank a bit after the show... then we were surprised to see him packing up and hauling all the band's gear out to the bus out front... hopefully now he'll be making some money to pay someone else to carry his stuff!

I saw the Pixies at the Warfield in SF on their second to last tour and it was a crazy scene in the pit...one giant pogo-ing mob bouncing up and down in blissed-out unison...Great show. Good times. Good times.

Caught their show in Saskatoon (a mere 6 hour drive away) on Saturday night. It was super cool. They did not disappoint, and it looked like they were all haveing a great time on stage too! Viva la Pixies!

I think I have a ticket to see them tonight too!

Got tickets today for the September show in Phoenix. WooHoo!

I just bought the new DVD. I'll let you guys know what I think about it after I view it tonight.

-g-

Pages: 1 24 replies