Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help Identifying Mug - The Hurricane

Pages: 1 11 replies

Aloha!

I need help identifying a new mug I found out in the wild.

As you can plainly see from the pictures below this is a knock off (albiet, a much more detailed and colorful version) of the Harvey's Hurricane mug.

The only words that are legible on the mug are "Tropic""The Hurricane", there are several other words that aren't very clear through the glaze. I tried to take a close up, but my camera sucks...Maybe I will try again in the daylight...

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu on 2004-02-11 15:57 ]

Darn Yahoo! - I edited the links for the images so they won't disappear....

I have one of those mugs.... Here's what I can make out of the hard to read inscription:

..... Tropic
The Hurricane
San Francisco

There's a hint of some writing before the word Tropic, but I can't make out any of the letters.

Great find, very rare piece!

I think I can make out the word "love" or "lure" before a big space and then "Tropic"...

And it looks like "Francsco" [sic] or something like that below the The Hurricane part...

M

Bingo!

That's gotta be this old Trader Vic's Samoan Fog Cutter mug from the 40's. (at least that would explain the San Francisco, if not the rest of the wording) Could have been made for a number of places. Great mug!

It certainly looks like that mug. So Harvey's stole the design from Trader Vics?

I wonder why it say's "The Hurricane" however....?

P

That is a nice mug! It may be from Bert Rovere's Hurricane, which was located at 533 Pacific St. in San Francisco. "Lure of the Tropics" is the slogan on the covers of a few menus that I have from the Hurricane, so that could be what is written on the tiki mug. Here are a few photos of the souvenir drink menu:

Aloha Puamana,

I think we have a winner! It just has to be from that place. Everything adds up, "The Hurricane" "Lure""Tropic" "San Francisco"....and the image....its just too coincidental not to be the mug from there.

Thank you very much!

I love Tiki Central! You all rock!

Aloha,

-CMC

Yeah! Thanks for the mystery solve! I'm going to print out the menu pic and keep it inside the mug. Any time I can find info like that, I stuff it into the mug for future reference.

I'd have to say thats got to be one of the oldest mugs in my collection, based on the TV menu & the info on The Hurricane. Cool!

TB

Lookin at those old drink menus & see drink prices at buck or lower, geez...

S
SES posted on Thu, Feb 12, 2004 1:49 PM

On 2004-02-12 13:19, Tiki Bird wrote:
Lookin at those old drink menus & see drink prices at buck or lower, geez...

Well if you consider the average salary back then I think it's actually cheaper NOW.

Hello Everyone,

As you may or may not know, I have to sell my Tiki collection, so I am going to be selling off this mug.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35713&item=3930528950&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I hope that some from Tiki Central gets this fabulous mug. It was my favorite. :)

Pages: 1 11 replies