Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Fu Manchu - New Tiki EP

Pages: 1 9 replies

Stoner rock fans - Fu Manchu's new ep has Tiki artwork as well as a cover of Black Flag's '6-pack'

I'm not sure how 3 tracks constitutes an EP, though.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-02-11 04:22 ]

Where did you buy this from TW?

Kon,

It's available from the band themselves at:

http://www.fu-manchu.com/fugaragesale.htm

They have a t-shirt of the design there too. I've not actually bought the ep myself as I thought their last album (California Crossing) blew. I'll await reviews of the ep before I splash out!

Trader Woody

Cheers. Yeah I have to agree that the California Crossing album wasn't their best. Here's hopping the new single's good.

Kon,

I've just bought it for £5.99 delivered from Play.com. It seems rather overpriced from all outlets.

Still, if it has a Tiki on the cover and they are doing a version of 'six pack', it must be at least halfway decent. Review to follow in a few days...

Trader Woody

keep us informed. Have to agree that with a tiki sleeve and a Black Flag cover, they're alreday halfway there!

Nice cover/CD/T-shirt...

Are they gonna give me royalties for the use of my photo, BOT p.205?

Oh well, I just ordered the T-shirt (with MY logo), lets see what they do...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-02-17 22:27 ]

On 2004-02-17 22:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice cover/CD/T-shirt...

Are they gonna give me royalties for the use of my photo, BOT p.205?

Errrr...you might be interested to know that there's a familiar-looking Tiki
torch on the back of the cover too. I'll have to get the CD and the Book of Tiki in the same room (early next week) and make a comparison. This isn't the first time images have been ripped off from 'The Book' and I'm sure it won't be the last. In fact, I seem to recall having dropped someone else in it in the past! Out of interest, what tends to be the result when someone gets caught in the act? Any financial compensation or is the end result usually a grovelling apology?

The CD itself contains 3 slabs of classic 'Fu, seemingly back on form. Their version of 'six-pack' is slowed down considerably, and they manage to put their own stamp on it. There's the aforementioned Tiki torch photo on the back, as well as an original (for a change!) drawing of the band as Tikis on the inner sleeve. It must be said that this drawing resembles neither Fu Manchu nor Tikis....

This 3 song CD is a single, not an EP and so is rather expensive for the price they are asking. Perhaps they realised they would have to set some $$ aside to compensate Bigbro!

Trader Woody

Well, that reply was really quick, and quite sufficient, I didn't wanna scare them...that is just enough to send me some stuff:

"hello. are you the one who took the picture of that tiki that was used on our record cover? if so, our record label was suppose to get it cleared for us to use. we really like that picture. this is a very small pressing of this record. i would gladly send you some copies and give you credit on future pressings. this release is very independent and very underground.

i will send you some items this week. again we really dig the picture and hope you are ok with us using it. if not, we can use something else in the future.

thanks, fu manchu

Hey that's a nice reply. They sound like a good bunch of guys and have gone up even further in my estimation.

Cool Manchu!

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 9 replies