Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Music suggestions for Hale Tiki

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

I was very interested in that Brad had regarding having his customers play exotica vinyl in Hale Tiki.

I'd like to list a few quality records that might make it easier on the wallet. It would be a shame to have expensive or rare vinyl get trashed in such a scenario, so there are a bunch of less expensive alternatives that you could try:

Les Baxter's "Sounds of Adventure": This is a two record set of late 60's vintage that is relatively common. Features many of Les' greatest exotica compositions. You'll have a lot of Les' good work on vinyl without having to pay higher prices for "Tamboo" or "Ritual of the Savage".

Martin Denny's "Exotica" vol I - III: These are common and are inexpensive. Mono copies are fine for what you need. Perfect, stereo copies tend to be a little more expensive. Another common Denny title is "Quiet Village".

The Surfmen "Hawaii": Jazzmen playing Hawaiian themed music. Common record, inexpensive.

Arthur Lyman "Yellow Bird","Call of the Midnight Sun","Polynesia" and "At the Crescendo" and some others: very common records. "Taboo" is one of his better records and is pretty common. "Taboo Vol. II" is a little less common and usually has a higher price because of the shrunken head cover.

Yma Sumac "Voice of the Xtabay": the 12" repress which also contains "Inca Taqui" is a great deal. You'll find this one cheaply.

There are countless very inexpensive Hawaiian LPs that you could add as well. You should be able to find these for between $1-$3 a piece... don't pay more than that... in fact, you may be able to find a nice bulk deal on this material.

Anyone have any sleeveless records that fit the theme that Brad could have?

M

Here's a good example of some cheap Hawaiian records. This stuff is a dime-a-dozen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2594848520&category=1599

good luck!

K

Frickin' Van Halen!!!!

Just Kidding.

TG

If you possibly want to use cd's...
Marty Robbins "Hawaii's Calling Me" is an excellent disc.

T

Hey!

I think Brad passed you a few miles back on the exotica, Brah. It'll all be there, and some other stuff that will blow your mind, like Michel Magne, Robert Drasnin, and Morton Gould.

M

I own all that stuff on vinyl (mono and stereo), plus LPs that would definitely blow your mind :) , but my point here is to point out inexpensive vinyl that are decent and wouldn't be worried about if customers thrashed them.

Anyone willing to let their original copy of "Tropical Fantasy" or "Jungle Obsession" get banged around? Didn't think so!

[ Edited by: Mganga on 2004-02-13 21:50 ]

....Rrrriiiight... They're all in there, and won't get banged around if Brad has anything to do with it.

tiki greg,

Got that one on vinyl. The cover is super.

Brad

Mganga,

Thanks for the good ideas. I have been collecting every single LP that I can find. I have a several feet thick stack and keep adding more every trip to the flea market.

I will have a modern sound system that can play CDs too so don't limit your ideas to the records only.

Mahalo,

BtB

M

You could probably add a few space-age pop records ala Esquivel, Dick Hyman (Moon Gas... available on CD also), Ferrante and Teicher to mix it up a bit. Seek out Nino Nardini's "Jungle Obsession" if you haven't already... nice mix of Polynesia and early seventies electronics. It's available on repress vinyl and CD.

K

Playing vinyl would be hot, but, as has been mentioned, maybe it would get trashed easily. If it helps or if there is interest, I have a huge collection of Hawaiian and exotica lps and spend a considerable amount of time recording them onto CDs. Maybe CDs of some of this music would work. I'd be willing to send some things with just the cost of the blank CDs & postage. Since I have copies, they could always just be redubbed as needed......? It's an idea anyway.

V

no brainer: DSL connection and Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge

Non-stop classic exotica, hawaiian, and surf music streamed 24/7. Sorted.

Okay fine,
CD are okay huh... check out "Lost Legends of Surf Guitar" vols I, II, III. from Sundazed. this is great stuff from Cali circa '62 - '64. this is the real deal SoCal South Bay / HB surf guitar music, Quality. A bit spendy but worth every cent.
Check it out @ http://www.sundazed.com.

"when the ducks cry",

Pages: 1 13 replies