Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My New Tiki Bar Sign

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

It's all done. Not what I had in my head to do, but good. I'm letting the glue dry over night and then I'll hang it over the door.

I am lucky enough to have a nice scroll saw. So I printed the letters out on computer (teenaged font) and glued the paper to the wood on back and cut the letters out of particle board. I could not get my printer to print reversed and I had no carbon paper, so it tried my patience. Since there was no need to be exact, it was ll okay.

I cut the back piece of the scrap from the same piece the letter came from.

I sprayed the back black and painted the front in layers of various colors. I meant to make it look like a wood grain, but that was just not happening. So I mixed various dark shades and got a texture and varied look. Used a little wood glue to stick them down. Pre-drilled and put in the small screw eyes.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-02-13 17:23 ]

That's a really nice lookin' sign!

Yeah, scroll saws let you do some very cool stuff...
Post some more pics once it's up in it's new home!

How do you cut out the inside of the A's? That scoll saw looks like it works very well on detail.

Nice Job Swankster!

I used to do fretwork as a hobby..... with inside cuts, you'd first drill a pilot hole, then take the blade off the scroll saw, place it thru the pilot hole, then reattach the blade to the saw. When you're working on large fretwork pieces, it really slows you down!

Nice work on the sign, Swanky!

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-02-13 21:21 ]

sign kicks butt, watch out, you gonna get some orders now!

Really cool sign.

B

Nice work Swanky, Scroll work is excellent,but probably a piece of cake compared to the fret work you've done.
Did you try openint the letters in MGI Photo Suite or similar app and then applying the morror image? that gives the reversed image.

(edited by BK for the correct name of maker)

OOPs
[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2004-02-14 12:38 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-02-14 21:37 ]

Very nice Swanky! It looks wonderful!

S

Benzart,
The reverse is usually a function of the printer. Ther eis usually a "Transapancy" or some other setting to do it. Nothing in my printer set up. I worked it for this time by gluing it down backwards and tracing over the lines and cutting. If I need something very precise, I'll find a better way.

I had thought about doing some enlargements of matchbooks in a 3D thing.

S

The bar is open...

Lookin' good Swanky my boy!

B

Swanky, Sorry, I did not know that the reverse was a printer function. I have an app called MGI Photo suite and I always use the "Mirror" to create a reverse image . I wasn't trying to tell you what to do since I don't know that much about computers. Back to the original theme, your frames are great and I think you wll need to step up production. I know I'll want one when I get my FLOUNDERart print.

S

Okay, my digital camera is not nice enough to take a picture of the bar at night with the "proper" lighting. Here is what I got after adjusting it with Photoshop...

My 1000th post...

I took a new one in the daylight...

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: swanky on 2004-02-15 13:35 ]

That sign looks great!

I whipped this one up for my bar, it's about 8" x 14" or so.

BTW my 200th post. go me.

this was ment for my post above... too darn tired to read correctly. this post is actually 201. weee

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-02-19 21:47 ]

B

Nice loking bar and that Awsome Tiki loks great in the shadows. Kinda makes you want to be careful?
Very nice.

Pages: 1 15 replies