Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

McSorley's 150th!

Pages: 1 11 replies

McSorley's was opened February 17, 1854. Today is the 150th, that' s right 150th (!) anniversary. Abraham Lincoln among others drank at this bar. In 150 years little has changed at this great New York City, and great AMERICAN saloon. They only serve McSorley's ale. $4 for two mugs.Light or dark beer. No juke box, no bands. Get back to where you once belonged. McSorley's is a great institution. God bless it. If you ever visit NYC you have to visit Mc Sorley's!!

mmmmmm... beeeeerr...

-Z

J
JTD posted on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 6:48 AM

A great Irish bar that hasn't been turned into Madison Avenue's idea of what an Irish bar should be. No leprechauns, green beer or the Unicorn Song playing all the time. Great place to go on a winter's afternoon for slow conversation. It's been a long time since I've been, but I hope it's still as I remember.

-JTD

i LOVE McSorley's! since the first time I've been there it's a must when visiting the city. even the aloof waiter dude is charming. cobwebs above the bar and a potbelly stove in the middle of the floor... what's not to like. great post donhonyc!

Looking at the photo, is that the original carpet?

J
JTD posted on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 8:12 AM

K-H,
Those are tracks in the sawdust on the darker colored floorboards.

-JTD

Either that or a carpet so old, it's turned to dust!

Trader Woody

i think it was sawdust...

you blokes from the UK probably think a bar from 1854 is "one of the newer pubs," no?

cheers, j£

Yeah it's sawdust alright.

I was there last night for the 150 party, and I think I drank a beer for each year they have been around. Sheesh! Good time though. You can go through those beers real fast, lemme tellya.

In 1981 2 friends and I drank $90.00 worth of beer in one sitting. One was my fencing coach (and an Olympic athlete). I have vague recollections of us carrying him bodily back to my apartment. Remind me to show you my false tooth.

There is some controversy if McSorely's is actually the oldest bar in NYC as the Bridge Cafe in Brooklyn has been an eating and drinking establishment since 1794 (and a bar since 1847-making it the oldest business in NYC eclipsing Chase Manhattan Bank).

McSorely's dates from at least 1862 making it ONE of the oldest places in NYC. It's sour beer smell and 3" layer of dust on the hanging paraphernalia alone probably makes it the best bar in New York. And the mustard with the cheese, crackers and onions rivals that of L.A's Phillipe's in it's intensity.

What I miss about NYC is the large number of old establishments in most neighborhoods, You can find bars dating to the Turn-of-the-Century (19th, that is) almost anywhere you go. The number is staggering! Conversely, you can find crappy, overpriced places everywhere too.

D

Atomic-

If my calculations are correct you guys drank about 15 beers each. Not bad for one sitting.

The place is dirty, but the thick layer of dust was cleaned a few years ago. The Board of Health ordered the place to get a good dusting. The only thing that is left unclean is a chandelier type fixture over the bar that has wishbones hanging on it. I forgot what the significance was of the wishbones, but it has something to do with soldiers who didn't come back from World War 1. Yeah and the things is totally untouched and VERY dusty.

Pages: 1 11 replies