Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What is the best Pineapple Mug?

Pages: 1 16 replies

I'm currently looking for a classic pineapple mug to add to my very small (so far)collection of mugs.
My question is, What is the best ceramic pineapple mug made?
Personally I'd go for the most authentic looking, but I don't know who made them and what bars/restaurants used them.

S

I just passed one up a couple of weeks ago. I was not sure if it was vintage or of any value. No markings and had the lid with a straw hole in it.

The Mark Thomas Outrigger pineapple is very nice piece. (Not my auction)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3274213085&category=29460
I have one in my collection and really like the unglazed effect. I also have one of the Islander pineapples which are fully glazed and in regular pinapple colors... Again, go for what you like.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Well the best pineapple mug is one filled with booze....

I too passed one up last summer, now I wish I hadn't. It looked old, but my fiance wanted me to 'limit' my collecting. Concentrate on things I really like, and stuff that has actual tikis on it. Boy was he barking up the wrong tree! So much for that idea! :)

'Limit' collecting. Sheesh! That's an oxymoron!

I have not seen any others up close, but I was very lucky and stumbled across the guy who had a few Islander mugs from Stockton stored in his where house that never made it to the restaurant. Mint condition. Even the manufacture's sticker is still on it (they would come off after a couple of dish washings.). A pride and joy in my collection.
I hope a nice one makes it to your home.

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-02-18 17:05 ]

Here's a few more photos, gleaned from Tikihula's web gallery:

The Islander Stockton, made by OMC

The Mark Thomas Outrigger. Same mold by OMC but unglazed

The Royal Hawaiian in Burlington, MA – also an OMC

The Kowloon. Also OMC

The Orchids Of Hawaii pineapple mug

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-02-18 17:24 ]

M

Here's a side by side comparison of quite a few pineapples...

Row 1: Mark Thomas Outrigger, Skipper Kents, Kowloon, Cham

Row 2: OMC (White), OMC (Color), Trader Vics, Orchids Of Hawaii

Row 3: Unknown w/Handle, Malibu Rum, New Production w/Lid, New Production

My personal favorite is the Mark Thomas Outrigger mug. Although OMC seemed to produce this mug in varying glazes for several different establishments, in my opinion none are quite as cool as the Outrigger's brown bisque body with glazed leaf topper. However, I also like the clean styling of the Trader Vics mug.

ModMana :drink:

Mod,
thanks for the photos, i had posted a question about TV having a pineapple mug and the response i received was that they never had one.
Those mugs are beautiful. i also reccomend hollowing out a pineapple and serving a drink in it, one of my favorites is a Blue Hawaiian in a pineapple

C

Thanks for the lineup. Are any of the mugs plastic?

Who is the maker of the Pine ee' in Mods pic's 2nd row, 2nd from the right?

Thanks for all your responses. .
I think I might have to keep a look out for the both the MT Outrigger and the Islander.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-02-19 09:05 ]

M

On 2004-02-18 20:53, Cultjam wrote:
Thanks for the lineup. Are any of the mugs plastic?

The Malibu one on the bottom row is plastic.

M

On 2004-02-18 17:04, Unga Bunga wrote:
Mint condition. Even the manufacture's sticker is still on it (they would come off after a couple of dish washings.).

Au contraire, Monsieur Bunga. The OMC Stickers are virtually indestructable. They can survive plenty o' industrial chlorine washes. Tough little bastards!

On 2004-02-19 09:48, martiki wrote:

On 2004-02-18 17:04, Unga Bunga wrote:
Mint condition. Even the manufacture's sticker is still on it (they would come off after a couple of dish washings.).

Au contraire, Monsieur Bunga. The OMC Stickers are virtually indestructable. They can survive plenty o' industrial chlorine washes. Tough little bastards!

Dam! Then I was ripped off!

apparently the label wasn't

Funny, I had never seen the TV pineapple before this post, and lo & behold, there's one up for bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3274158539

Small (tiki) world!

There seem to be at least two Orchids of Hawaii pineapple mugs. I got the one on the left at a Goodwill Store; I think its the earlier version and is marked Orchids of Hawaii Japan, but has no R number. I bought the one on the right from a restaurant manager who was unclear as to whether it was old stock or a new Dynasty (current vendor of mugs from old molds) mug. It is lighter in color, slightly larger and more crude. It is marked Orchids of Hawaii Japan and an R-number that I think is R-15 though the detail is so imprecise its difficult to tell. At first I though the mug on the right was a multi-generation copy of the other but the arrangement of leaves and scales is different so it came from a different mold.

Pages: 1 16 replies