Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Shag Tall Blue Ratongo & Ku-Ku Kana Tiki Mugs on eBay!

Pages: 1 5 replies

K
Kim posted on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 4:53 PM

Well, since we're too chicken to use these mugs and they're just sitting forlornly in our cupboard, we're releasing them into the wild. Plus we can use the funding for the April Wedding Bash.

Please note, though-- these are not the numbered limited edition mugs! (I do say so in the auction, but I want to be very clear.)

These are part of a "defective" batch that somehow made it to a shop in Portland. (Holden posted long ago about destroying a bunch of these mugs.) They're not "defective" in the sense that they're cracked or glazed poorly, but they are not numbered, and the Tall Ratongo is glazed in the Short Ratongo blue color.

Anyway, if you want Shag mugs & aren't picky about getting a numbered one, go for it!

And, if a TCer wins these, please email me-- if there's a difference between actual shipping cost and the listed shipping cost, I'll refund the difference. I feel like the shipping is a little high, but I wanted to cover myself in case someone in Maine or Alaska wins!

Edited to add (duh!):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3275465023&category=35713

[ Edited by: Kim on 2004-02-18 17:06 ]

I think I saw the blue one in the same shop in Portland last April when I was just getting into tiki. I spent $150 and had to pass it by...boy do I regret that decision! Good luck with your auction! May you have many bids!

This mug, like another currently on eBay (that seller does not openly disclose his or her mug is without a sequencing number) are all the more rare with the wrong color. This should be interesting to watch.

K
Kim posted on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 5:48 PM

mrtikibar, we decided to let ours go after checking out the other auction. Thanks for pointing it out!

On 2004-02-18 17:34, mrtikibar wrote:
This mug, like another currently on eBay (that seller does not openly disclose his or her mug is without a sequencing number) are all the more rare with the wrong color. This should be interesting to watch.

That's correct. Since this mug was glazed in the wrong color, it's much more rare -- very similar to a baseball card with an error on it. This makes it even more collectible. I know that when these mugs were first released, Tiki Farm went to great lengths to try and retrieve what wasn't sold. It will be interesting to see what it closes at and who ends up getting it.

T

I actually have the same two mugs. I found them up in Portland about 4 months ago. I also found a tall yellow ratongo to go with the blue one. I've been trying to find info on these guys for a while. How exciting!!!!

Pages: 1 5 replies