Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Munktiki E-bay Only Mugs

Pages: 1 9 replies

M

Ok, give me some help. What's the secret when buying Munktiki's e-bay mugs?

Does the price drop as the numbers go up? or do they get more expensive as there are fewer left?

Should I bid $35 every time and hope to get lucky?

Should I try for lower numbers for beter quality?

What's your experience?

I have a record of all final auction prices on Munktiki for the last few months, helps me bid right in my crazed quest to obtain all mugs made by Paul and Stuckie. Give me a name and I can give you the last 6 or so final prices. Oh and I recommend you don't bid against that bastard slater guy, overbidding jerk(me)...

C

Have a lot of money.

Only to a point much higher than my highest bid.

Towards the end of the edition holdouts like me get desperate.

Knock yourself out.

Depends on how important it is to you. Some TCer's contend there is a difference in quality.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6838&forum=5

T

I haven't bid on too many of the newer ebay mugs, but I was lucky enough to snag a number of the earlier ones when it seems most people weren't collecting them. I think your best chance for getting one is to wait until they're in the 90 - 100 numbered range. As stated above, many collectors want the lower numbered ones, for various reasons, while others will wait to the last minute and the price goes up again. Just my 2 cents.

M

On 2004-02-18 21:14, McDougall wrote:
I have a record of all final auction prices on Munktiki for the last few months, helps me bid right in my crazed quest to obtain all mugs made by Paul and Stuckie. Give me a name and I can give you the last 6 or so final prices. Oh and I recommend you don't bid against that bastard slater guy, overbidding jerk(me)...

McDougall -- The mug I'm after right now is Gaballini. What's it been selling for? I got a Letargo last week for $32!! but I paid waaaaay to much for Tappo a few weeks back.

B

I've been keeping track of Munktiki's since late October -

Gaballini 072 $42.00
Gaballini 073 $46.00
Gaballini 074 $67.50
Gaballini 075 $57.77
Gaballini 076 $36.00
Gaballini 077 $46.00
Gaballini 078 $91.00
Gaballini 079 $53.00
Gaballini 080 $92.00
Gaballini 081 $67.66
Gaballini 082 $56.00
Gaballini 083 $47.00
Gaballini 084 $49.26

(Prices got a little weird around the holidays - too much eBay fever...)

M

BaronV -- Thanks for the info! So it is possible to get one under $40. I'm going to start watching more closely.

THANKS!

B

It always helps to bid at the last minute too.

Just bid really really high. Eventually you will get one. The average cost that I spend on a munktiki mug is about $60. They are pricey but worth it.

Yeah bidding hi helps:-) and they are worth it, works of art for sure. Thinking back I think I have only won one or 2 Munktiki auctions that I didn't bid on at the last moment. In other words even if I bid 60-70 or so, if it isn't the last minute I still lost. It seems there is almost always a couple folks bidding on these mugs the last few seconds. Sat. and Sunday seem a little better. You need to be free around 9 pm eastern each night, which lucky for me I am at work with little to do at this time. $40-60 is pretty average, only 1 or 2 always go for more, and the first few #'s (and I guess last few). Tonight I will try to get the Wolf for under $40, he's still pretty low $ and a nice low number. As for low numbers with Munktiki I have noticed the low numbers are usually sharper and nicer, worth a few more bucks, not always true as my Evil Bastard is in the 600's and as sharp as my 29...More than one mold perhaps?

Pages: 1 9 replies