Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki themed childrens' toys for 2004

Pages: 1 34 replies

My S.O. called my attention to some tiki and tikiesque toys tonight and I thought maybe we should have a thread just for childrens' tiki toys since there seem to be a few this year. Some of us have kids to buy for so it might be nice to have them all in one place. I borrowed the links and pics from Amazon and posted photo links of the Amazon pics from my shutterfly account in case Amazon changes it's links later this year.

My Scene Guava Gulch by Mattel; price: $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E2DJO/103-1486566-3700615?v=glance&s=toys&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures
This is scaled for a series of 12" fashion dolls. If they can actually fit in the chairs, I think my 1960's GI Joes are gonna have to have a drink. Note the thankfully brown Marquesan(?) tikis. My girlfriend tell me Toys R Us has these.

And its hard to confirm from the picture but I think maybe the menu on the bar has a decent rendition of the Daga/Steve Crane Ports of Kon-Tiki mug.

Polly Pocket Totally Tiki Diner & Clubhouse with Stretchy & Magnetic Polly and Rick by Mattel; price: $14.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005BM51/103-1486566-3700615?v=glance&s=toys&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures
Unlike the previous entry, this has no appeal to me. It looks like a version of the Florida beach-side tiki bars I've heard described. I only note it here because the word "tiki" is used and someone might hear of it and wonder what it looks like. There is more to the set than in this pic, but I wanted to show the close-up with the bowl. I have seen these at Wal-Mart.

The first of the following two Play-Doh items has been mentioned on TC previously; but not with a photo. I don't think the second has been noted. I've seen both at Wal-Mart.

Doh Doh Island Playset by Hasbro; price: $9.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007H1ZI/103-1486566-3700615?v=glance&s=toys&me=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG&vi=pictures&img=1#more-pictures

Play Doh- Doh Doh Island Squishketball Arcade by Hasbro; price: $9.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000YGDXE/qid=1077176141/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-1486566-3700615?v=glance&s=toys
The little red thing is a passable moai that can exude play-doh hair from holes in the top of it's head.

Hot Wheels Tiki Torcher Playset (Jungle Rally) by Mattel; price: $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B0000E3BU9/qid%3D1077176882/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-1486566-3700615
This has been discussed here but I don't think anyone posted a picture. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7243&forum=5
The funny thing is, if you read the reviews on the Amazon listing nobody has anything good to say about this thing; I believe a TC member also complained about it's construction. It has been reported at Wal-Mart and Target, that I know of.

There is also a five-pack of cars as mentioned elsewhere in TC but I found no pic of it.

Anyone got any more toys to add to this thread?

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-02-19 02:57 ]

Here's an item from last year that's still for sale:

American Girls Tiki Party Set, which includes possibly the world's smallest tiki mugs.
http://www.americangirlstore.com/pls/ag/AG_pagestyle?catid=375787&groupid=373183

Not quite tiki, but also of interest is the American Girls Groovy Room:
http://www.americangirlstore.com/pls/ag/AG_pagestyle?catid=425373&groupid=362545&mktgpiece=&upsell_style=

Sabu

The Islander Lego sets from 1994 are discontinued but still found at cheap prices on Ebay:

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-02-19 11:37 ]

tikijackalope - the mug on the menu is actually Lil Lono Double shot mug by crazy Al. It is available on tiki farm now. I know because I have both the barbie set and the mug. (one for my daughter one for me)

F

I have this playmobil "native" set, but i dont think they produce it anymore

M

My daughter got two Christmas gifts that included mini Tiki Mugs. A Barbie and one of those Bratz dolls. Both came with Tiki mugs that I quickly snatched up and started the worlds smallest Tiki Mug collection.

HL

I just saw this at Target last night:

It's more Doh for the island playset.

Oddly enough, it turns out Play-Doh has a whole Doh-Doh Island website with movies (there's a video) and a Tiki Art Studio and Tiki Arcade.

M

On 2004-02-19 02:55, tikijackalope wrote:

My Scene Guava Gulch by Mattel; price: $19.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E2DJO/103-1486566-3700615?v=glance&s=toys&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures
This is scaled for a series of 12" fashion dolls. If they can actually fit in the chairs, I think my 1960's GI Joes are gonna have to have a drink. Note the thankfully brown Marquesan(?) tikis. My girlfriend tell me Toys R Us has these.

And its hard to confirm from the picture but I think maybe the menu on the bar has a decent rendition of the Daga/Steve Crane Ports of Kon-Tiki mug.

I just saw these at Toys R Us last night- the tiki on the menu is is actually the Ono Lono mug designed by Crazy Al for Tiki Farm. And I'm 80% sure the brown tikis are the Monster Marqs from Tiki Diablo. Gentlemen, start your lawyers!

And there is a bonus Play Doh refill set for the Doh-Doh's that has a tiki on the package and cool "gothic" black play-doh.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-03-28 15:01 ]

M

On 2004-02-19 11:08, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Here's an item from last year that's still for sale:

American Girls Tiki Party Set, which includes possibly the world's smallest tiki mugs.
http://www.americangirlstore.com/pls/ag/AG_pagestyle?catid=375787&groupid=373183

Sabu

Well, I bought this a few weeks ago. It's really detailed and damn cool. Unfortunately, it requires some damn "power platform" thing to run the torch lights, and of course they don't make them anymore so they're collectors items and selling for hundreds of $$$ on eBay. So, fuck. Plus, I'm on this damn American Girls mailing list now, and getting this catalog full of creepy dolls in my mail each week.

So the moral of the story is: Fuck you, Sabu. You did this to me. Asshole.

(before anyone suggests it, I've already been to radio Shack and solved my torch light problems.)

So, how tall are the tikis and the tiki mugs in the American Girls Tiki Party Set?

M

The tikis are about 4", the cool moai light-up torches are 6.5" and the mugs are a wee, but detailed 3/4" It's pretty darn cool.

Don't diss the AG dolls too badly. Mine look pretty cool in their custom-made tiki garb...

E

I had to order that AG set!!! It should arrive next week...love the torches.

It's here, and it's really, really great! Guess I'll have to go to Radio Shack so I can light those torches! I give this set a big thumbs up!

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2004-04-14 18:35 ]

E

The Bratz mini tiki mugs look like this:

You know you want a close-up:

"Honey, I shrunk Martiki!"

Well, it wouldn't be so bad, he could wear this tiny tiki shirt and play the mini bongos while drinking out of his petite AG tiki mugs:

The "Bratz" need a "Deluxe Virgin Sacrifice Volcano Playset with Lava Stream". I know my niece would go for it.

K

Exoticat,

What Bratz doll or play set did the tiki mugs come out of?

*On 2004-04-20 13:14, Kanaloa wrote:*What Bratz doll or play set did the tiki mugs come out of?
It's the girls with bathing suits and shorty-shorts sets, all ready for "Jammin' in Jamaica" (ready for adding to your Guava Gulch bar). The dolls and their accompanying gear are $9.99 right now, I believe.

I am poised like a vulture, waiting for the Guava Gulch bars to drop in price at my local Target. 4 of the original 6 are still there, and it's been months. Patience, patience.....

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-04-20 15:34 ]

E

Hi, Kanaloa! I got mine on eBay...all of them for $3.99. (Mugs only.) I think the seller still is putting sets of them out, but I'm not sure, I got mine back in early March.

Target, at least in some stores, has reduced the price of the My Scene Guava Gulch bar set to $16.99. Still too high for me, but heading the right way.

Yep, I'm also still waitin' for less than $16.99 (dropped here in Houston, too). I'll check each week, and if the remaining 4 G.G.'s at my Target start to go, I'll go ahead and pony up the $17...maybe.

But - that's a vintage mug or 2!

Then again, by buying modern tiki items, we do show the manufacturers (and potential bar openers) that there's a market out there for tiki.

Decisions, decisions. To be cheap or to make an investment in the future. Cheap? Investment?

Ah, hell. Cheap wins again. I retain my vulture's stance.

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-04-27 10:05 ]

Whoo HOO! Guava Gulch has now dropped to $12.75 - got it! Target has EVERYTHING!!!

Hey thanks Formikahini, I've been wanting one of those as a photo prop and that price is about right.

I set mine up last night and it is as CUTE as a BUG! (Sorry, no digital camera.) The tiki bar is almost a foot tall (including the parrot who sits atop). I have some Trader Vic's salt and pepper guys sitting in the equipale chairs, chairs which I coincidentally have real ones of in my living room. They look very relaxed, sipping their drinks out of a pineapple and a coconut. Funny thing is, the tikis that hold the palm fronds and tiki torches (all of which come with the set) are a little taller than the TV guys!

I think I'm buying another set, this one for my 4-yr-old niece who's in town today. Start her off on the right track.

Formikahini wrote:

I have some Trader Vic's salt and pepper guys sitting in the equipale chairs...They look very relaxed, sipping their drinks out of a pineapple and a coconut.

Do you think the average 12" male action figure can fit in those chairs? I'm thinking that this Halloween my Universal monsters need to share drinks with Star Trek figures and GI Joes. I can make a volcano bowl so Frankenstein can say "fire, bad!"

I think I'm buying another set, this one for my 4-yr-old niece who's in town today. Start her off on the right track.

And to think I was worried about America's youth. Btw, if Target follows pattern, the next markdown will be two week after the last one. This usually happens on Wednesday in the toy department.

I

Yes, the 12 inch tall action figures do fit in the Gava Gulch tiki bar set -- I know because i have a set, and my old 12" G.I. Joe set could sit comfortably in the chairs and enjoy a tiki drink. He needs to drop his camouflage outfit though, and borrow some tiki shirts from Ken so he doesn't feel too out of place.

Earlier this week I was at a magazine store, and looking at a Barbie doll collector magazine named 'Barbie Bazaar' Inside they used the Gava Gulch tiki set as a background setting for a photo-essay that combined a Tina Louise-like character and tiki.

Vern

E

There's a good picture of the set here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E2DJO/102-6132441-4326501?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846&me=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

I changed the signs on mine so that they have the logo of my Tiki Room on them and I also offer pink elephant daiquiris on the little menu board.

I have two Blythe dolls who use the set and are on their way to becoming alcoholics (and they've only been using it about a week). Sad, sad...

E

I see now that the pics are posted not once, but twice on page one. That's what happens when you don't review the entire old thread. However, it is a great set at a good price (if you like that kind of thing)...at our favorite store of the month: Target.

TM

Mai Tais for the kiddies, you can never start too young....I think these sets should include tropical cocktail recipes!

OH! The niece SHRIEKED, I mean SCREAMED at the top of her lungs when I pulled the box out of the Target bag! I am now officially The Coolest Aunt in the Universe.

Tikijackalope, this last drop in price took months. I'm sure I spent much more in gas checking, than I saved by waiting!

Exoticat, I had the same idea (to change the name on the sign). No time these days to do so, but one of these days. But I didn't think of our beloved TC as the name - great idea!

And Tiki Matt, I made SURE, as does the packaging, to mention often that this tiki bar serves fruit smoothies - only! I enjoy holding the position of The Aunt That The Niece Adores But Who Won't Steer Her in the Wrong Direction. (You know, Do as I say, not as I do!) Her parents trust me that I won't ever lead her down the wrong path, so by gum, I shan't.

Well, except when it comes to buying lotsa really cheap crap that ya don't need but looks really cool.

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-07-12 23:31 ]

The My Scenes Guava Gulch tiki bar set has now dropped to $10.48 at Target.

The My Scenes Guava Gulch tiki bar set just dropped three more dollars to $7.48 at Target. Thats two drops in two weeks; they must be eager to start re-setting for Christmas.

A few new tiki-related toys available at Disneyland:

These "Princess Babies" toys seem to be the next rage. The Ariel set has two nice pineapple mugs with straws which may go with some of your other sets:

This Nemo Figure Set has tikis and a puffer fish that may work as furniture in your aquarium:

Sabu

In case anyone still wants these, or in case your kid needs extra chairs, the My Scene Guava Gulch tiki bar set is $5 at Toys R Us. Its marked $9.98 on a green tag, and green tags are 50% off at the register. Its nice to see TRU finally purging slower stuff in a timely manner rather than their usual wait of years. It may be the first wave of their probable exit from toys altogether.

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Apr 1, 2009 5:39 PM

My Scene Guava Gulch by Mattel

Bought in a flea market in Mexico
Made in china

Pages: 1 34 replies