Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Ron Jon's tikimug shirt

Pages: 1 6 replies

F

Went into Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach today. That place is just bursting with tiki crap these days.. anyway one of their new T-Shirts has a band of mug pics on the front and back. I think they swiped it from BOT, which I believe was a shot originally in the House Industries magazine.

I bought a grey one for a hoot. Now the surfers at Sebastian Inlet are gonna call me a kook.. oh well

I like the shirt. But I have to agree, all those mugs look like they come from the Book of Tiki.

Indeed, they just added the umbrellas and pineapple slices. Actually, only three of the mugs are my photos (the 1st and 2nd are on p. 176), the rest were initially published in House Industries' first issue of House Magazine. Andy Cruz let me use their spread which solved my problem of how to convey the variety and multitude of Tiki mug designs in the space restrictions I had to work with.

That T-shirt designer did not look long, basically all the mugs are from p.176 and 177, x-ept the Kon Tiki mug.

M

I have the same shirt with the words "Maui Hawaii" on it in place of the Ron Jon logo. Got it at the local surf shop.

F

ha thats funny- some t-shirt supplier must be hocking the design at various surf shops..

TM

Saw the shirt at Ron Jon's today and have to say that the print quality was crap at best. Maybe it was only the shop I was at, but no way would I pay $20.

I'd say that shirt would qualify you as a kook - mugs are ok -- But Rob Job logo? No chance.

I Think I've seen a similar rip off in a surf shop in NJ - not LBI RON JON somewhere else - too much surf that day to remember.....

Pages: 1 6 replies