Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki at TJMax

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies

On 2004-03-03 11:42, Tiki_Bong wrote:

On 2004-03-03 10:59, waikiki tiki wrote:
This is totally tiki but it sounds like Bong resides by the "if it's not vintage it's crap" motto....however there are many of us that don't

I wouldn't expend your mental energy trying to figure out what I'm thinking (Mr potty mouth!). I'm sure you have your plate full just trying to figure out what your arms and legs are doing.

I do however find it fascinating that my words make people jump like my own personal bitches (now, bark like a dog!).

Nice exemplary behaviour from a grand member...

And exactly why does it twist your panties so much that people are discussing these items?

I honestly don't see the need to interject your disapproval into this thread.

Nor do I see the need to insult people the way you do.

Now I sit back and await the sagacity of the Bong... Please do entertain us with you witty ripostes.

[ Edited by: Al_Malaikah on 2004-03-03 15:26 ]

Jeez, gang, lighten up!

You have to admit that it is hilarious that we're already on PAGE 7 of a modern crap item filled with radioactive liquid, oily beans, & oil-soaked corn flakes (of which I bought 2 for me and 2 for gifts!), versus expending our energy hunting down something old/something beautiful/something filled with wonderful ingredients (the smokey glass Pisco maoi bottles were at least 2 outta 3). I venture to guess that Bong was perhaps alluding to that, rather than saying "everything new is crap."

(And if he were to have meant that, I'd love it! I admit it! Gadflies are a noble tradition.)

In other words, I do not believe the observation was worthy of an insult. (Read back - he was insulted first. I don't think any of us are actually insulted by the bean & oil filled jars being called "a cheeseball item". And if we are, perhaps we should get lives.)

Obviously, Bong can defend himself and doesn't need me to write this. But please, folks - let's not lock a thread about bottles of undrinkable drink mixes. Save that for the "r" word and the "p" word.

Shall we return to a discussion on the availablity in your town of these containers of heinous liquid? Yeeeeees....thank you!

Your Cheeseball Numero Uno,
Formikahini

It's official. TIKI is SOLD OUT.

MB

I'm sure you have your plate full just trying to figure out what your arms and legs are doing.

You're killin me Larry!

Bong, It's Mrs. "Potty Mouth"....shows what you know! I wasn't insulting you, just pointing out that if you don't like it, don't post. (Isn't that obvious?) Now this thread has gotten completely off-topic. Back to tiki......

I have become the lucky recipient of a couple of these glass suffering bastard style bottles, thanks to one of our most gracious members!

I'd like to remind everyone that this thread brought a bit of tiki up to Canada, even if it is new and full of weird stuff :wink:

I'd like to post some pictures of one of them, when it's full of peppers and vodka.

Mahalo,
Tikiwahine

I think this thread is an amazing eaxample of the power of Tiki Central! One Tiki agent in the deep South finds an object, and everywhere around the US and Canada Tiki agents fan out on a mission from Tiki, reporting their excavations!
I imagine that if the company that made those bottles would have known about TC, there bottles would have not ended up on re-sale store shelves.

I had just talked to Holden a couple of weeks ago about the fact that there are no good themed liquor decanters anymore, and that the time for a Tiki decanter was ripe...and Voila!

Which brings up a question for Holden: Does Trader Vic's own the rights to the "Suffering Bastard" design?...and is this a moot point now that the item obviously did not sell for the company that made it?

The reason for 7 pages of posts is pretty obvious to me. This is one of the few "finds" that everyone can participate in. Community collecting, if you will. When TikiJoeSchmo finds a box of Ren Clark mugs, we all go "ooh, ahh" but thats the end of it because there is no participation beyond the congrats. In this thread, we can all say, "Hey, Me Too!"

-Z

I tried making a rum drink from the suffering bastard bottle filled with white beans. Five stars.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 10, 2004 7:09 PM

I was at Marshalls today and now they've got giant versions of at least the Moai glass decanter. It's almost twice the size of the others. They only had one so I don't know if they've giant SBs as well. I'll post a pic later.

Btw, whatever you do, DO NOT DRINK THE BLUE HAWAII MIX! It is the most godawful concoction I've ever tasted. Even worse than my home made absinthe, it tastes downright toxic, like something from Chernobyl. I took two sips (first sip - "jeezus that's horrible!" a few seconds pass, "Oh, it can't be that bad, maybe ya just have to get used to it, plus I already put rum in it" second sip - "Oh my God!" spewed it out) and I felt kind of sick until about noon the next day. You have been warned.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 10, 2004 7:48 PM

Big Blue:

On 2004-03-04 12:00, bigbrotiki wrote:

I had just talked to Holden a couple of weeks ago about the fact that there are no good themed liquor decanters anymore, and that the time for a Tiki decanter was ripe...and Voila!

Which brings up a question for Holden: Does Trader Vic's own the rights to the "Suffering Bastard" design?...and is this a moot point now that the item obviously did not sell for the company that made it?

Peter Seely and I did discuss this piece. It's likely short life may keep him from taking any action. TV does protect their trademark & copyrighted pieces pretty aggressively though, as they should.

These re-sale outlets are generally a last attempt to sell off low-demand products or are a venue for mfr's when they're seriously overstocked. I've done work w/them before at slight discounts off-wholesale and they marked up my product very, very minimally (don't know how they could make a $)... I'll only use them again if I'm overloaded w/inventory on a piece or 2.

Holden

B

Behold Suffering Maxx! Or is it TJ Bastard?

T

Wow badmojo, that looks exactly like a real SB decanter, the way you fixed it up! You know, I bet you could do that to a few others, put them up on ebay and make a bunch of... nah, that wouldn't be right. Now would it? Or... :)

S

Very clever badmojo! What do you use to get that finish on the glass? Very clever indeed!

Hey all The wife and I just picked up the extra large Moai decanter/drink mix bottle at marshalls, Its filled with the "blue hawaii" mix, However unlike other brave souls out there I absoultly refuse to even attemp to drink this stuff. I've nicknamed him "Big Blue" (after the drain cleaner cocktail in Heathers) and am reminded of my happy days in grade school and the blue tempra paint in those huge bottles.
Cool to look at but WAY to blue to drink.
Cheers all!
Jay
BTW
If anyone wants one of those tii pithcers from Marshalls TJ Maxx, lemme know they have like 10 of them here in the Burgh!

Thats a great job Badmojo, i will have to try it.

S

but, How do you get that finish?!?!?

R

I used the blue hawaiian mix in an Italian Creme soda (one shot of blue hawaii, one shot of half and half, then fill the glass with sprite, then top with whipped cream). My wife likes it. she say's it's real close to pina colada flavored.

R

I used the blue hawaiian mix in an Italian Creme soda (one shot of blue hawaii, one shot of half and half, then fill the glass with sprite, then top with whipped cream). My wife likes it. she say's it's real close to pina colada flavored.

B

On 2004-04-19 16:13, spy-tiki wrote:
but, How do you get that finish?!?!?

Scuffed glass with Garnet paper, layed down Automotive Primer, 2 coats of Fleckstone spray paint(check hardware or dept store), Clear coat over that, and finished with several coats of Matte Black Enamal.

S

Thanks badmojo! Again, excellent job!

Hey, I just made the rounds of the joints in Glendale and there were very few of the Marshall's type tiki stuff. Couple of the packages with a small mug and some sugar and liquid stuff. However there were a bunch of these big frog tiki looking pitcher things with a bottle of drink mix if anyone is interested.

I am very sad that I didn't join this board until recently, so I missed the era when these were to be found at the clearance stores.

However, I am finding that they are making their way into thrift ships already. Today I found a couple of those "wee tiki" mugs/shot glasses for 29 cents a piece at a Goodwill.

I'm thinking perhaps I should root through their plates to see if that part of the set is there too.

--SBiM

KT

i wonder if any of you folks picked up this bowl from any of these stores as it's from the same manufacturer of the other items mentioned here. it's really wierd that the only place i've seen it before is just this week on a new zealand auction site:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-collectables/Alcohol-related/Other/auction-50165960.htm

Pages: 1 2 3 121 replies