Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tikis To Go party pack from San Francisco's

Pages: 1 19 replies

A friend of mine just got back from Lethbridge, Alberta (where my job is going to in five more days) and brought me home this neat little party pack of four tiki mugs. They're different than others I've seen, but the box has no company information on it. It was purchased at a store called San Francisco's which is apparently a chain up that way. Anyone know how I can get a hold of this company and maybe purchase some more? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Swing, Daddi-O! :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-02-22 12:36 ]

San Francisco stores are in all the malls here. I haven't been inside one probably since I was a teenager because, frankly, their stuff is tacky crap. I looked for a corporate website but I couldn't find one so I phoned their West Edmonton Mall Store (780) 444-1474. The minimum wage employee was friendly and helpful but couldn't tell me anything about the set except that it costs $14 (CDN). I'll have to have a look next time I'm in a mall. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear about your job (do I understand correctly that you're losing it? or are you moving to Lethbridge?)

sounds like the cheapy accoutrements pack of mugs that came out a few years ago

Man, it just burns me up when American companies relocate to third-world contries just for the cheap labor!

Hey Sweet Daddy Tiki, thanks for the information and the phone call, that was really nice of you. This set is different than the ones I've seen on Aisletiki and other sites like that, they're really kind of neat (to me anyhoo). And who can pass up free? Yes, you are right, my job is going to Lethbridge, not me. My wife wouldn't stand for the cold. I don't blame Canada or it's people at all, it's the company I work for that's doing it. Ah well, dole queue here we come!! Again, thanks for the info, if you find anything out, email me at [email protected]. Talk to yas later!

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-02-22 18:18 ]

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-02-22 20:37 ]

I agree with SDT (which is becoming a frightening trend): San Francisco (the mall chain store) mostly sells crap...
Imagine if Wacko/La Luz de Jesus ONLY sold stupid gift items that appeal to jocks and stoned teenagers. San Francisco shop is a great place to pick up a resin tea light candle-holder shaped like a wolf's head, dumb novelty underwear or a T-shirt with a giant marijuana leaf image on the front....

Still, it's interesting to know that they have these mugs. I will actually go into this store next time I'm in a mall. Thanks for the heads up Swinging Tiki

B

Is this the Party Pack?

Yes, Badmojo, that's the one! Looks like Archie McPhee sells it eh? Hmmm. . . may have to give them some business. . .

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-02-22 20:48 ]

I went to San Francisco today (the store, unfortunately) and it was as Slacks described, except he left out the dragons -- hundreds and hundreds of dragons. I saw the party pack for 12 Canuck bucks which is a nice price to be sure, but I didn't like 'em enough to buy myself a set, not even for casual use. I don't go to malls very often (because they don't usually have thrift stores), so I had a look around and discovered a store that sells all sorts of "exotic" bric-a-brac like masks, carved figures, rain sticks and such -- nothing Polynesian (Indonesian, maybe), but they did have a "tropical beach" section where there were dried parrotfish ($20 i think) and some smallish dried pufferfish (not lamps) for $50. Sure didn't expect to see that at the mall.

On 2004-02-22 17:56, SwingingTiki wrote:
Yes, you are right, my job is going to Lethbridge, not me. My wife wouldn't stand for the cold. I don't blame Canada or it's people at all,

Go ahead, we're used to being scapegoats. But really, is Ohio that much warmer than southern Alberta?

I have two of those Tiki To Go packs, I have freinds that become butterfingers when drinking so they are excellent and cheap tikis to use for them.
There is actually a contact company on the bottom of the box: http://www.accoutrements.com item # 10795. They appear to ONLY sell to wholesalers. And Yes Archie McFee is one of them.
But as I said, they are great for butter-fingered friends, or if you are worried about lead paint in older mugs, or even for kids to enjoy the party. I recommend them.

H

Actually, Archie McPhee and Accoutrements are the same company. Archie McPhee is the storefront, and Accoutrements is the manufacturer; the company dates back to 1980.

I also use the Accoutrements mugs -- in addition to being practically disposable, their small capacity makes it much easier to get a drink in everyone's hands as quickly as possible when throwing a party.

Hey, has anyone seen this before?

Actually, Ohio is much warmer, we're on the western shore of Lake Erie, which is always milder. I'm originally from Michigan myself and am fine with colder weather, but not the wife. Oh well, c'est la vie. I guess I just get to find new employment. Maybe I'll even get a raise (LOL).

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-02-23 21:22 ]

On 2004-02-23 15:32, Tikiwahine wrote:
Hey, has anyone seen this before?

Yes! I picked one of those up at The Great Indoors about 2 years ago. It was on the clearance shelf along with a couple of matching mugs. Cheezy, yes, but hey, it was on sale.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-02-24 06:28 ]

R

I got a pack of those Tiki's to go to use at my new years party. I found mine at Ear X tacy music in Louisville, Ky... the coolest indie music store in the southeast!

I can't believe I started a thread that turned hot. I'm soo happy beams

I went to San Francisco shop today to pick these up. They were there just like everyone stated, and I had always intended to get some, for the exact reason others have stated: they're cheap enough to break without crying about it. The only thing I'm miffed about is that the San Francisco store here was selling them for $14 Canuck, not $12.
Oh well, sure beats the $24-30 I've seen elsewhere.

Anyone seeking the Accoutrements mug sets in a town with a Hastings Book and Video store might check there. I think they sell them for about $12.99.

The only reason my friend got them as cheap as she did is because that particular store was closing soon. Add 60% to her 9.50 paid and that's what you'll get as the mean price per package. The mugs are kind of chintzy, but they're fun too. And again, who can pass up free? Most of the stuff I've collected in the last year for the future Top Shelf Tiki Bar (that's going to be it's name) has been gifted to me, so it's all kind of special. I guess that's why my mugs don't seem so cheap to me. Ah well. I'm glad I got some people out to get 'em anyhoos.

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-02-25 05:21 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies