Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

'avin a go at velvet painting

Pages: 1 12 replies

With a rubber hula Kewpie doll as a model and Edgar Leeteg's article on velvet painting as my teacher, ladies and gents my first shot at velvet painting, i thank you..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-20 13:59 ]

C

Awwww....but he has hair!

8T

That's very nice. Especially for your first time.
But he's blocking my view of the dogs playing cards!

still having fun..

...Hmmm a Moai version of dogs playing poker, maybe with a bit more practice.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki on 2004-02-25 08:19 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-20 14:01 ]

Cool Moai. Nice going....comissions soon?

B

Very good beginning. As long as they don't sing "Jail House Rock" they'll be great.

R

On 2004-02-23 16:09, atomictonytiki wrote:
Edgar Leeteg's article on velvet painting as my teacher

Very cool for a first time! Where is this article that you refer to. I have his book 'Leeteg of Tahiti' but have not had a chance to read it. Is it in there?

No it was originally written by Edgar Leeteg for the november 1933 issue of "Sign of the Times" but then it was reprinted in JUXTAPOZ sept/oct 2002 issue 40.

I love the Moai, is there any special secret to painting on velvet?

On 2004-02-27 07:53, tiki.head wrote:
I love the Moai, is there any special secret to painting on velvet?

A while back, I drove Eric Askew to the Leeteg Tribute Show @ Copro Nason. Eric was with Leeteg in Tahiti during his times of velvet painting. I asked him " hey mate, what's the secret?" He said, " I promissed I'd never tell". I'm sure in some way shape or form he told me with out telling me. He was excited about the show and chatted in the car all the way up and all the way down. One of these days, I'll get in front of a velvet and see if he brainwashed me during our drive.

I think the special secret to painting on velvet is going to be practice. The problems i have with it is remembering to leave dark parts unpainted. My tips would be short haired brushes that aren't wet with paint and raid a goth closet for black velvet.

T

Hey my fellow backwards name componet... Nice start on the velvet paintings. You could try sketching the image on black construction paper, using a white wax pencil. That way you're forced to work from light to dark, but I've never done velvet, so I'll shut up now. I think you should give up bars and go for velvet Ben! I love my "Eli" original of the Twin Palms!

S
SES posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 7:40 PM

Just reminded me that I have a roll of black velvet in my studio. Was going to use it for display at one point but never did... HMMMMM...
:wink:

Pages: 1 12 replies