Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

C'AL's tiki trip to NYC

Pages: 1 9 replies

CA

Can’t believe I had to go all the way to NY to find another pair of coconuts!

Talk about the city that never sleeps....
I think I slept about 48 hrs straight since I got back.

well, better late then never... here is the tiki-round up of the trip to NY....

Monday Night: Finally reunited with the Fisherman and my tikis #53&54 at Otto‘s Shrunken Head!! Thanks Inky! for posting the great pics.
Steve Pang has done a fantastic job putting finishing touches to the joint. It looks great!! And what a host, not to mention giving every Monday night to the Fantastic Fisherman’s Vibraphonic Trio!! Eric, from my band Ape, was in town again and sat in with his steel guitar! The guys let me sing a song or two to a full house and enjoy their music coming right out of #53&54!!

Steve had me carve them for speaker cabinets! They Rock!
And he put them atop posts carved by the Almighty Leroy of Oceanic Arts... Cool man!

Thursday Night: Another reunion! Great to see tiki #45 “Hang Good&Plenty” again. My first time seeing Waikiki Wally’s... and there was #45 behind the bar over seeing the drink allotments.... I designed him to hold a coconut or assorted fruits in his hands, but that night he held a tiki mug! Nice!

Thanks to my TC host for the week, the beautiful Miss. Inky Louise! Hula dances and Beer slamming!
Here we are at the 150-year-old McSorley’s with Ron Peters, the designer/manufacturer of the Burning Tiki Antenna Topper!

Ron is the reason for the trip to NYC. He had a booth at the world famous Toy Fair Convention. Seeing as a large part of my income is sculpting toys, I volunteered to work his booth with him and work the crowd....

He has new designs for putting his little bastards on Bike handlebars and bodies for dashboard ornaments.

order them up at http://www.burncousa.com/

Tiki was not just at our booth!! Check it out!!! Barbie watch your ass!

Available from http://www.mulletheadtoys.com/

and I found this pair of unsigned tikis at a plush toy booth up stairs. One even had a C’AL bark turban/crown and a familiar face.

It was sunny and nice the whole week. A fitting end, A Bamboo Bar!! in the Jet Blue terminal saw Ron and I off to a cold and rainy California. The bar sported many “real” preserved palms and hand tied Black Bamboo lettering on the signage........

Tiki Times in NYC! Nice!

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2004-02-24 00:36 ]

tied Black Bamboo

Bondage?

Have you gained weight bro?

Very cool, Crazy Al!

Glad you had a chance to visit your NYC Tikis and some members of the Big Apple Ohana in the "city that never sleeps." New York will never be the same!

Sleep well my friend.

Great post AL!
That last tiki pic toward the bottom of the looks like a Shecky.(?)

Dang C'Al,

Wish I knew you was going to Toy Fair. I had considered going myself but decided against it last minute.

AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

CA

i had enough trouble holding it together with out the Atomic Cocktail thrown in the works.....

Yeah, great pics C'Al. I'll bet it was cold perching at the top of the Empire State Building this time of year!

http://www.samgambino.com

CA

it was in the 40's and sunny! for an old desert rat, beach livin type... it was still comfey

MC

I'll glad that you like the mug which is in the hands of Waikiki wally's tiki. I gave that mug to them as a tiki offering!
great to meet you!
Manic Cat

Pages: 1 9 replies