Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cocktails Galore

Pages: 1 26 replies

TK

Aloha Tiki Centralites!
Just wanted to invite you all to be the first to check out my new "Virtual Bartender" cocktail recipe section. It is still in the beta stage, but there are a couple hundred drinks up now, and many more on the way. It is not yet "public" as it is not linked from anywhere the site yet, but you can find it here: http://www.tikiking.com/cdb/cocktail_database.html let me know what you think!

Great Work!
By the way, would you share info on where you got that fantastic tiki martini glass shown on your Perfect Martini recipe? Some people collect shot glasses (as well as tiki mugs), but I collect martini glasses and that glass would be at the front of my collection!

SugarCaddyDaddy

Thanks, sugarcaddydaddy.
That Particular Cocktail glass is my own "personal" glass. I have made a few others as wedding presents, but I do not offer them for general sale as they are fairly time consuming to make and I would have to sell them for about $40 each. But thanks for the kind words!
Tiki King

TK

So I will be putting this thing live fairly soon. It will be linked from my bar section. Anyone have any feedback? Critique? Corrections? Tips? Hints? Insults? I know there are a few typos, I am fixing those, but other than that waddaya think? Is it intuitive? confusing? is there something you would do different? You guys are the first to see it...
http://www.tikiking.com/cdb/cocktail_database.html
Tiki King

A

TK, I think that's a cool idea. I had this nerd fantasy of making a database-enabled web drink recommender. So, for example, if you hear people talking about maraschino liqueur, and then you track down a bottle and wanna try some drinks with that ingredient, it could tell you all drinks in the db with that. Or if you only have a couple things left in the booze cabinet, you could specify what you have left and then get a list of drinks that are makeable without a run to the store. Actually, something like that probably already exists, but it'd be cool to have it specifically including the Beachbum Berry, TVic and Donn Beach recipes.

Like I said, just a nerd fantasy. Anyway, yours is great. BTW, I'll be featuring a punch from BBerry's Intoxica at the little party tomorrow aft/eve.

-Randy

M

Looks great to me. Interface-wise it's pretty intuitive and simple. Easy to navigate and fast, both important points in my book. Kudos for some great work.

A flaw? Ok, one:

Zombie recipe!

midnite

DZ

Randy-- There's a site like that already called The Webtender (webtender.com). One of the best features is just what you're looking for: go through the extensive list and 'click off' what you have on hand in your bar, and it comes back with a list of drinks you can make with those ingredients! You can also rate the drink recipes listed as well as submit recipes of your own. Pretty handy!

TikiKing, you are a very busy man.
I for one love your site and idea's.
I don't drink so it is important to have a database to pull from.
Not being able to taste what you make is a problem.
Would you add a not drinkers section.
You could call it
"I'm a wimp" or
"I'm pregnant" or
"The designated Driver area"
We non drinkers had to learn how to be this wierd all on our own.
Anyway great work on all your sites!!

TK

I like the "designated driver " idea. I may use that. I don't think it makes anyone a wimp (or pregnant) if they don't drink. Heck, King Kukulele never touches the stuff, and we always have fun. I actually have a fair amount of "I have to drive these lushes home" drinks, as I like to accomodate everyone at the 821. I'll get to work on it!
Cheers!
Tiki King

Aloha, T-king! How about a section for viewer submitted drinks? (With a suitable disclaimer for yourself, of course!) Or maybe a section with amounts for larger sized containers...Scorpion and Volcano bowls...and your average tiki mugs...most of the guys on this site spend a lot of time collecting tiki mugs, etc...and these seem geared for rocks glasses and martini glasses... But, you've done a great job, man! The recipes load at a blisteringly fast rate! How 'bout more tiki photos? Thanks, Grey

T

Good job, tiki king! I like the fact that I was able to find good recipes that I haven't tried before right away. It seems you have tried not to include all recipes but just the classics and good ones that you have tried. That makes it a more personalized (and easier to use) database.

Just a couple technical problems: I have a 15" monitor on a Mac and the middle row of letters on the main page aren't hot-linked (I am unable to select them). I wonder if other people have had this problem. Also the font-size on some of the text below the glass pictures is large and tends to run into the recipe on the right. These technical problems may not be apparent on a larger monitor at high resolution.

Oh, one more thing. Your martini is shaken, not stirred. The Thin Man would cringe! Please correct that. :wink:

Great Site, However, Where did you get that '"French 75" recipe Dude? Cointreau and cognac? EEEEKKK!!!

Here are some that I have found over the years:

'Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide" 1935

Juice of 1 Lemon
2 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar
1 Cube of Ice
Stir well in 12oz. Tom Collins glass. Then add 2oz. Old Mr. Boston Dry Gin and fill with Champagne. Decorate with slice of Lemon, Orange and a Cherry. Serve with straws

'The Official Mixer's Manual" 1948

2/3 Gin
1/3 Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoonful Powdered Sugar
Pour into tall glass containing cracked ice and fill up with champagne

'The Bartender's Book" 1951

2 oz. dry gin
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
juice of half lemon
champagne
Shake well with ice. Strain into tall glass which ice cubes have been placed. Top with champagne.

Somewhere I have seen one from the 20's maybe in the Savoy Coctail Book (which I can't seem to find at the moment.)

The name of the cocktail almost certainly refers to the French m1897 75mm field gun called the 'French 75' by Americans . The WWII French rifle you mention is the MAS 36.

chefgrey2.
If you have a favorite, send it in. If I like it, I'll (eventually) post it with a "submited by" credit, origin, etc. As far as Tiki Mug size drinks, good idea, but with tiki mugs, sizes vary from as little as 10 oz up to 32oz + , and Bowls can be any size. two people, four people, six people.... so there is not really a standerd to use there. But thanks for the input!

theJab.
Hmmmmm. I use a 15" Mac, so I'll check it out. Also, the saying that a good Martini should always be shaken to waltz time comes from the Thin Man. I have found that there are as many ways to make a Good Martini as there are drinkers of same. My only rule concerning the Martini is that it contain primarly Gin and Vermouth. ( I don't go in for all the chocolate Martinis and apple Martinis, etc. Thoses may be fine cocktails, but they are not Martinis ) Shaken or stirred (as well as Vodka) is at the discretion of, and should always be specified by, the drinker... If you ever come to the 821, I'll most certainly make 'em as you like 'em.

Atomic Cocktail
I don't remember where I got the French 75 recipe. It was scribbled in my bar log, so I went with it. The ones I remember drinking most were simply Gin and Champagne with a twist of Lemon. I have a couple other versions which I have yet to put up (including the Mr. Boston version). The Cognac made sense to me because I think soldiers in War torn France would have more likely found stashes of Cognac and Champagne than Gin and Champagne. As far as the namesake, I have heard two stories. One that it was named after the 75mm cannons, and another that it was named after the MAS rifle. That was why I included both. I belive that the French bolt-action MAS 36 rifle you refer to has a caliber of 7.5 mm (7.5 X 54) which is why I mistakenly called it a MAS 75. Thank you for the correction!

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2002-08-26 12:37 ]

Oh, and Midnite_tiki, I am trying to narrow down a heap of Zombie recipes. There seems to be a few. There will be one or more eventually...
Cheers!
T.K.

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2002-08-26 14:32 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.