Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Awesome Mug find on my lunch break

Pages: 1 7 replies

I was in a thrift store during my lunch break today hunting for treasures. I was thiking to myself that I have never found any really cool mugs in thirft stores. Right when that thought was going through my head, what did I see???? A Green Trader Vic's of Hawaii Seahorse!!!! 6 bucks. You know I bought it. I'm soo excited!!!!

Here's a pic of my new friend, standing to the right of his new big brother, Concrete Tiki.

[ Edited by: TikiTrevor on 2004-02-27 00:23 ]

8T

Way to go TT. That is the kind of thing that can fuel your quest on a day where you don't seem to be able to find anything at all. Memories of a great score can keep you goin'.

Also, the store had one of those cheesy wood handled mugs, a Monkey Pod wood "Kona" challas looking thing, and 2 Benihana Samauria (cant spell) each for 2 bucks. I didnt have enough cash on me to get these and the seahorse, so I might go back after work and pick them up. They aren't anything special, but just more for my collection.

Personally I've got a collection of those white Benehana (sp..too late to check) mugs. I have them on a separate shelf. Personally I take what I can get. You can see a small part of my collection on my website (addy below). I did however find this about a month ago during my lunch break for 50 cents each:

I never drink from the old ones i find. This is either due to gunk left in it, paint age, and as you can see...modifications by morons.

I just found this week a white Benihana of tokyo mug in the shape of a jolly fat bloke with a big hammer, must be the season for them.
Is Benihana a bar or maker?

I too, collect Benihana's! I think that they are beautiful, but I keep them separate from the tikis. Benihana is a restaurant where they prepare your food in front of you on a big habachi...there is a name for this, but I can't think??....I also love the descriptions people use for them...string holder, incense burner, candle holder, etc. This is the best description I've seen lately...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3705616105&category=20084&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Nice Finds!!!

waikiki

waikiki tiki, the word for Benihana style cooking/eating is Teppan (might be spelled Tappan). There are a few other Teppan places in my area, which in my opinion are better (and cheaper) than Benihanas. When at these places, ask for "big fire"...

T

On 2004-02-27 09:20, waikiki tiki wrote:
I too, collect Benihana's! I think that they are beautiful, but I keep them separate from the tikis. Benihana is a restaurant where they prepare your food in front of you on a big habachi...there is a name for this, but I can't think??....I also love the descriptions people use for them...string holder, incense burner, candle holder, etc. This is the best description I've seen lately...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3705616105&category=20084&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Nice Finds!!!

waikiki

Damn that Tanuki, and his unfeasibly large testicles as well!

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-02-27 09:31 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies