Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Attn: Tiki and Surf Bands...

Pages: 1 10 replies

V

...and those that love them. Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge is looking for new artists.

A major playlist overhaul is in the works, and I'd like input from fellow TC'ers. Post replies here or email me with nominations and contact info for bands.

Rest assured that the new playlist will contain all your old favorites from the canon of exotica, plus some newly acquired items, and new surf/tiki bands found here.

Aloha,

Vic

Listen to Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge
Visit Vic's Site

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2004-02-28 09:17 ]

On the newwer surf tip, I would reccomend:
the Woggles (disbanded a while back)
The Finks (Gone Daddy Gone)
The Bomboras (sadly gone)
the Ghastly Ones (sort of around still, members of the Ghastly Ones and Bomboras make up the the 60's garage R&B style band
the Now)
the Invisible Men (pretty invisible, they pop up once in a while, numerous incarnations)
Man or Astroman (surf style but rooted in outer space, pop up every once in a while)

these are off the top of me head, hope it helps. some of these folks can be contacted

Vegasvic--

I'd be happy to send you a complementary copy of the most recent recording by "Fisherman." We are a New York City-based vibraphonic trio playing mid-century exotica, 60's surf and garage, jazz and lounge classics, obscure go-go and psychodelia, and other oddities. Let me know if you're interested. And if you're ever in New York, stop by Otto's Shrunken Head. We play there every Monday all night long for FREE!!

--tikidrummer
http://www.fishermansburlesque.com

On 2004-02-28 13:47, tikitanked wrote:
On the newwer surf tip, I would reccomend:
the Woggles (disbanded a while back)
The Finks (Gone Daddy Gone)
The Bomboras (sadly gone)
the Ghastly Ones (sort of around still, members of the Ghastly Ones and Bomboras make up the the 60's garage R&B style band
the Now)
the Invisible Men (pretty invisible, they pop up once in a while, numerous incarnations)
Man or Astroman (surf style but rooted in outer space, pop up every once in a while)

these are off the top of me head, hope it helps. some of these folks can be contacted

Actually the Woggles are still around - their long time guitar player Mannard passed away not too long ago but their back at it.

As for the Invisible Men - Gone! Great gimmick dressing in bandages and then ending the set in a free for all wrestling match.

I might add my old band The Surf Trio to the list. We had a few records/CD around. Last one was called Forbidden Sounds on Dionysus Records. Still in print!

Maori,
thanks for the info on the Woggles, sad to hear of there loss but happy they are re-emerging.
The Invisible Men were great, but had ditched the bandages a while back because of the heat issue. one of the last incarnations had Dave and Gregg in it, only a matter of time before they pick up again for a couple of shows.
Now that I think of it Norman said the Ghastly Ones are pretty much out of commission, He has been devoting most of his time to the Now. The now will be out of commission because Norman and Dave are about to play on tour with the Seeds in Europe.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-02-28 20:09 ]

A
aquarj posted on Mon, Mar 1, 2004 1:44 PM

The Invisible Men became The Satisfaction later, and even went through more lineup changes with that name, briefly including one of Satan's Pilgrims. I think the Satisfaction are gone now too.

Tiki connection: The Satisfaction included two members who have also played with The Maikai Gents. Also they covered an Angry Samoans song (ok, that one's a stretch).

Maori_man - were you the bass player for the Surf Trio? Just was listening to Moxie And More the other night.

-Randy

IG

On 2004-03-01 13:44, aquarj wrote:

Tiki connection: The Satisfaction included two members who have also played with The Maikai Gents.

Yes, indeed! Lord Hunt, former Bombora, and Peni Hana, former Mighty Kegsman, were both in The Satisfaction and our little combo. You can read their bios on our website. Hey! Vegas Vic, we'll get some material to you as soon as we're satisfied with the quality of our recording and with members of The Satisfaction, it'll take nothing but the best for us to be satisfied! Mahalo.

-Iuka Grogg

While Dick Dale and the Ventures still reigning king, there is no better modern instro band than Los Straitjackets. None.

The TikiTones: Suburban Savage

On 2004-03-01 22:08, Luckydesigns wrote:
While Dick Dale and the Ventures still reigning king, there is no better modern instro band than Los Straitjackets. None.

Yessss -- definitely, Los Straitjackets. I've also been enjoying the music of Kick-the-Reverb's very own Astroglides lately. Good stuff.

M

On 2004-03-01 13:44, aquarj wrote:
The Invisible Men became The Satisfaction later, and even went through more lineup changes with that name, briefly including one of Satan's Pilgrims. I think the Satisfaction are gone now too.

Tiki connection: The Satisfaction included two members who have also played with The Maikai Gents. Also they covered an Angry Samoans song (ok, that one's a stretch).

Maori_man - were you the bass player for the Surf Trio? Just was listening to Moxie And More the other night.

-Randy

Randy, nope I was the LAST drummer for the band (in for six years) for the final exit in '03. We are (still) working on releasing a final recording of the show at the Satyricon from Nov. 15th '03. Lots of great Drunk pics and debauchery.

And YES I am WELL aware of the transforamtion of the Invisible Men into The Satisfaction - much to my dismay.......don't ask. When Shane left the band, a little piece of me died!!!

Pages: 1 10 replies