Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help ID a couple mugs

Pages: 1 9 replies

R
Rorysm posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2004 8:39 AM

Found these at a flea market and a junk store. Don't have a clue what they are... the wooden one says "manilla Phillapeans" on it, and the black one says "Indiana" in gold on the back.

finally, their new home

sorry the pic quality is such crap

[ Edited by: Rorysm on 2004-03-02 08:55 ]

the wooden mug is actually a version of the very first tiki i ever interacted with, as my parents have owned said mug ever since i can remember. i have seen several identical copies out in the market, which leads me to think they were machine-carved (in the philipines, :P)

(thx tikifish)

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-03-02 09:54 ]

T

Moved as requested!

R
Rorysm posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2004 1:36 PM

hey, thanks for the info on the wooden one, anyone know anything about the black one?

8T

Don't know anything about the black one but it looks VERY cool. Too bad the first photo is a thumbnail size because it looks to be the clearest of all of the pics.

I see that you were also caught up in collecting the Simpsons figures like I have been. Who can keep up with all of those?

Save the Tikis!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-03-02 13:52 ]

T

Rorysm,
Check this thread out for info on the black mug:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7229&forum=5

~tg

I just bought two of those wooden ones; they are unmarked but the dealer told me a relative got them during WWII. Could they actually be that old?

I see that you were also caught up in collecting the Simpsons figures like I have been. Who can keep up with all of those?

I don't think you'll have to keep up with them so much this year; I read they are attriting that line. But back on topic (sort of), try placing Stonecutter Homer and Number One near one of the more mysterious-looking tiki mugs.

The black mug is pictured in Tiki Quest on page 20. The caption states that the design is attributed to OMC, is still availble from a US manufacturer, is commonly found in other colors and can be customized for events. The Tiki Quest mug and your mug look slightly different and crisper in detail than the brown ones previously discussed on TC at this link: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7229&forum=5

R

The wooden one has an old sticker on the bottom that says "Handmade in the Philappeans".

I wish I knew who had the black one made up and labeled "Indiana".

As for the simpsons stuff, my house is infested with tons of it. I'm not going to trade any of the figures away, but I have tried to trade some simpsons stuff for tiki before and got no response. Actually, come to think of it, I do have some figures I'd trade. If anyone's interested, pm me.

Oh yeah, I had planned on putting sideshow mel and sideshow Bob up on the top shelf with the tiki stuff, but never did (they don't stand up too well). i never bought "vacation Smithers" but wish I had (he's wearing a flowerdy hawaiin-esque shirt).

Pages: 1 9 replies