Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Age of Jekyll & Hyde Mugs?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Can anyone tell me when these might have been made, or if they are still available? I grabbed them at a local thrift store. Tiki stuff seems fairly rare and underappreciated around here (Kansas City).

Classic Silver Line Boats
http://www.SilverLineBoats.org

[ Edited by: SilverLine on 2004-03-03 18:27 ]

Aloha SilverLine,

Those thar' mugs are what they say. They are from the Jeckyll & Hyde Club located in NYC.

They are still open and I believe still selling those very mugs (can someone verify?)

Here is the website
http://www.eerie.com

Tiki mugs from a contemporary bar ending up at the thrift store, in this day and age?

Cool, that means that my writing still applies today in some parts of the country:

"... But once at home, as time passed, many Tiki mugs ended up in the attic being regarded as temporary lapses of good taste, committed in a mood of bohemian daring, like aesthetic one-night stands being regretted the morning after sobering up...."

Maybe we have a case of classic "Divorce Tiki" here.

M

I was at a shop a few weeks ago and saw them for sale as brand new and mixed in with the Tiki Farm mugs. I could not tell the differnce between these new mugs and the one's I've previously seen marketed as vintage. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is as I don't think these new ones had any maker's marks.

Yep, no maker's marks on these; and a really high-gloss glaze made me think they may not be old. (Didn't matter, tho, at $.99 each!) But didn't know if J&H still sold them.

bigbrotiki, no truer words have ever been spoken, or written! Loved your book! It's what pulled me into this.

So I decided to call the Jeckyll and Hyde Club and found out that you can get any drink you like in the mugs (yes they are still available) for the mere cost of $6.95+ the cost of the drink.

Sounds like you had a great deal for .99 cents each....:wink:

On 2004-03-04 15:08, Cool Manchu wrote:
(yes they are still available) for the mere cost of $6.95+ the cost of the drink.

Thanks for calling and checking on that! Much appreciated! Tiki LIVES at the Jekyll & Hyde Club!

Pages: 1 6 replies