Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Newbie Building First Tiki Bar - Need Help PLEEEEEEEZ!!

Pages: 1 8 replies

S

I am in New York and I just found this forum, which seems an excellent source of information on all things Polynesian.

I am finally ready to start my new project which is building a complete Tiki bar within an enclosed, covered patio area of about 12' x 14'. I have no clue how to even begin, other than loading up on bamboo and thatch and letting creativity reign.

What I am looking for is a book on constructing various Tiki Bars. I believe that plans and material lists would be invaluable at this stage. It would also be extra nice if someone from Long Island (or New York Tri State/NYC) would be willing to help me through the process with advice and/or hands on help.

I apologize if all this has been covered in previous posts but my recent search yielded only tangential information and nothing specific enough to satisfy my need. This is my first post and a welcome party would be greeted very warmly and appreciated beyond words.

Russ

D

Here are some links to view some of Tiki Centrals Ohana's Home Bars. This place is chalk full of inspiring idea's from people chalk filled with awe inspiring talents. You just need to familiarize yourself with the search tool. Good luck :drink:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1034&forum=1&start=0

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5084&forum=1&58

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3981&forum=7&start=0

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-03-03 23:58 ]

B

Hi Sash...

Not only should you check out the members bars, but do a web search on "bamboo" or "thatching"

Thats how I found a semi-local guy who supplied most of my materials, and the pics on some of those site will get your juices flowing.

Also, if you dont have Sven's Book of Tiki yet, rush out & buy it. If that doesnt get you going, nothing will.

Good luck & post some pics when its done. Mine is almost showable (after 8 months!!) and I'll put some pics up too.

T

Aloha Sash,
How is the search going? Have you found the perfect Bar Design, yet? What's great about a Tiki Bar is that there are no standard designs and the only limits are your imagination and your project budget. You could build the structure out of 3/4" plywood and then cover the surfaces with things Tiki, like woven mats or reed fencing material or tiles or shells or fake stucco lava. Don't forget recessed light effects.
My Bar, for instance, has a memory box type top that is recessed so that I can display my collection of paper tiki memorabilia,etc.
I can change the display whenever I want.
Half the fun is seaching for decor items. Ebay is a good source for these.
Also search the links for vendors of tikidom.

Tikiboy

This oldie building his first Tiki bar has really enjoyed re-reading these threads too! I've been down in the basement most of the week painting over all the horrible white paint down there. That's almost done, so it'll soon be onto the decor, which is the fun bit!

Every room has a few problems to overcome and mine are how to tackle the low ceiling, what to do with the large fireplace, how to construct the bar inself (given that I have the carpentry skills of a 2 year old), and where I'm going to get decent wall-coverings from in this decidely un-exotic island.

Trader Woody

S

Thanks for all your messages,

I went out and bought what many of you call the bible "The Book of Tiki" and it has, indeed, served up some inspiration. My problem is that although I have adequate skills to frame out a room, I am unsure how to apply all the necessary acoutrements. Do I use 2" lacquered Bamboo or 1/2" roll and how do I apply thatch and in what quantity? These are the things that I really need to know. Has anyone out there built one that lives near Long Island?

Everyone has told me how marvelously tacky this Tiki Bar will be but I am just going to "get my freak on" and dig in. As Picasso said "Good taste marks the death of creativity"!! I will probably wait until April when the weather here in New York offers up some inspiration.

In the meantime, I went to an Army/Navy surplus place and bought some WW2 memorabilia such as uniforms, bullet belts, a field radio and some South Pacific hand painted fans. My idea is to have a WW2 theme Bar with 1940's music playing over an old horn speaker and black and white newsreel footage looping on an old RCA TV over the bar. I am also going to install this fan, which I think is just the greatest thing EVER!!!
http://www.fanshack.com/fanimation_ceiling_fans/punkah.html

I still have a little over a month to plan this thing so ...please....keep the love a' comin'!!!

Russ

[ Edited by: sashua on 2004-04-03 23:29 ]

S

Here is an Ebay seller for thatch.

Use split 2 inch bamboo to frame it out. You can split it with an ax or machete and hammer. If you have a way to angle cut the ends, that'll help.

Thatch comes in 4 X 4 foot sheets, and one is thick enough for most purposes, so measure and buy. You'll have the bottom "fringe" left off that 4 foot length.

It is "your" bar, so make it how you want. Satisfy yourself. If you enjoy it, your guests will too.

MB

Ya, like Swank says, make sure you cut your pole with an ax...that'll make a clean split for you to work with. At a 12' length, it's a drop in a bucket...no worries.
The thatch...sooooo easy...you're in. You are at your home bar in no time. Enjoy!
Aloha!

T

I am unsure of what type of thatching you will be using but what I actually did was cut mine in the middle, in between the knots, that way I was able to double it up and it came out thicker. I attached it to the overhang of the bar by utilizing a staple gun.

I will be posting some pics soon. There are three different personal bars here in NO that I have pictures for. I just need to get the other two owners to advise as to their editing of the text.

Pages: 1 8 replies