Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis By GAV

Pages: 1 7 replies

P
PEDDRO posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2004 9:21 PM

Hey Peddro...Nice Clean looking Tiki. Yeah you should post these in "Creating Tiki", but they'll let it slide once.
What are the tikis carved from? The detail is Really Crisp and sharp. Looks like you made a mold of your carvings and poured them in plaster the bottom picture beng 2 pieces?? Come on over to Creating Tiki and Spill the Beans with more pix.

As requested by Benzart (I apologize for posting GAV's tikis in the wrong forum...but, hey, we're NEWBIES!), I'll tell you all more about the tikis. Hopefully GAV chimes in with more.

These suckers aren't molded. They are all hand carved out of aerated cement by GAV (not me....I'm a carving clutz!). They weigh much less than solid cement yet will last forever. The big one, as Benzart noticed, is 2 pieces. I originally just had the head but picked the body up later on. Looks great in my front entrance. The little guy comes with me to swap meets where I sell hotrod mags.

The big guy stands about 4 foot tall.

Like I said, hopefully GAV chimes in with more info.....

[ Edited by: PEDDRO on 2004-03-04 21:24 ]

M

The little guy comes with me to swap meets where I sell hotrod mags.

I dig the "Moon Eyes" on the big guy @;-) What mag do you speak of?

Rae

B

That makes it even more bettr. Sharp detail.

That is one cool tiki.

Got any more pics?

Hey I really like those, so much character!

K
Kanaka posted on Fri, Mar 5, 2004 4:32 PM

Fantastic work!!! Very different than anything I've seen lately.

Kanaka

G

hi guys peddro thanks for posting some pics of the tikis,i've got more photos,but still trying to get posted having problems with my computer at the moment (probably me!!!) the tikis are carved out of a product called hebal it is airated concrete they make it and somehow fill it with air so it is very light yet strong.its actually a building product they build houses out of it.you get it in blocks & have to sand off the top layers till you get down to the good stuff. once sanded it looks like volcanic rock with heaps of holes in it.i carve them only using hand chisels &files &sand paper.the designs i think up myself most have a cartoon type style (i suppose my style?)the small ones are 1foot (300mm)&the large ones are 2large blocks4foot(1200mm)the large ones are joined by pins or rods that the top one slides onto i've got a few different designs.this stuff is excellent to work with & you can get sharp definition in your tikis.gotta go & try to get these photos happening and ill post again o.k. gav..

B

Hurry, Can't Wait..

Pages: 1 7 replies