Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: The Polynesian restaurant menu-holy smokes!

Pages: 1 5 replies

D

I'm a big menu fan,but the going rate for tiki menus is incredible!The Polynesian menu is already over $300.00!!! Can anyone explain why tiki menus go so high?

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Mar 5, 2004 7:33 AM

Well, I can guess from my experience. #1, they are more rare to find than mugs. People hang on to mugs. Paper ephemera is HARD to find. Just cruise 20 antique stores and ask if they have vintage menus. You'll find maybe none in 20 malls. #2, they tie everything together. If you have 4-5 Don the Beachcomber mugs, the thing you want is the drink menu that has those mugs pictured. Plus, you then can see other glassware that were used and gte those.

Postcards can be found easy. Mugs, easy. Swizzles have been a collectable for a long time. Matchbooks too. Menus are just too often tossed when that pile of paper is found in the attic.

DZ

I always keep a look out for Polynesian/Latitude 20 stuff; I've been watching this one and I'm not sure why it's so high already. IMHO it's not that rare, as most of the menu collectors I know have already got this one. Then again, the closer I look at it, I see that it is the drink menu, not the food menu... Maybe it is harder to find? (What do I know - menus & postcards are the areas of collecting I leave to Sabu and TikiHula. Maybe they can shed some light on it...)

But a menu from the Latitude 20 (which this very same Polynesian later became) - THAT would be something!

Unrelated note: the current high bidder is 'bigbongos' - are you a TC'er? If so, send me an e-mail, 'cause I've got a question about somethin' you bought recently (and no, you didn't outbid me for it - no worries!)

T

I'm not sure if Bigbongos is a TC member, but he/she has bid outrageously high on a couple of items in the past. And if you'll notice, the price seems to have been bid up from where I bid (about $30) to the current price by a single bidder with a zero feedback rating!

Very suspicious I think!! Hey, if he's willing to go that high- he deserves it...

I paid about $50 for that menu last year. I thought that was outrageous then. Don't know why the bidders are frantic for this one.

Sabu

D

Yes,bigbongos is certainly on a tear this week-looks like he/she (not sure)is giving calypsogirl a run for the money-it amazes me about the serious scoots these folks pay for those luscious menus!

Pages: 1 5 replies