Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Small Spanish Elvis Impersonators

Pages: 1 9 replies

I took this photo a year ago in Barcelona and just rediscovered it.

Any more Elvis impersonator pics?

Trader Woody

TM1

Trader, I am actually half-spanish, and my cousin Virginia always send me weird pictures from spain of her aerobics class...often, they take pictures of themselves either all dressed as santa claus, or as Elvis..they are actually doing exercises wearing costumes, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why! She won't tell me either!!

Hmmm....
I wasn't during Semana Santa (Holy Week) was it?

You know, when confradias (like Mardi Gras krewes, except religious) all dress alike and march in solemn religious parades in the week leading up to Easter? Holding aloft beautiful, lifelike religious statues for HOURS, while they march along in the streets for the thousands of religious observers? Might these young religious worshippers be about to take up an enormous statue of sweaty Elvis and parade it along the streets?

ooh - maybe not......

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-03-05 15:25 ]

Indeed, it was during Mardi Gras where they had an amazing parade through the streets of Barcelona. Mardi Gras there is incredible, but seems a lot more family orientated than Rio. (A lot less dangerous, too!) Here's a couple of fighting Elvis'

And here's a shot of me with a couple of knackered Spanish performers.

Trader Woody

Fightin Elvis' that reminds me of a Halloween I spent in Glasgow and was lucky enough to see a street brawl between Elvis and Ginger Spice. I'm happy to say Elvis kicked Ginger Spices arse.

UJ

OMG ELVI!!!!

Elvi meaning more than one Elvis

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-03-08 21:56 ]

On 2004-03-08 21:55, Unkle John wrote:
OMG ELVI!!!!

Elvi meaning more than one Elvis

Indeed! In fact I named the top picture 'Spanish Elvi' in my photo album. I'm glad someone else can see the sense of the spelling!

Trader Woody

I thought Elvi was in common usage!

It certainly is my my household.

Thank you, thank you very much

TW~

Elvis impersonators? Are you sure they weren't impersonating "Dwayne" from "What's Happening" (a popular U.S. sitcom in the 1970's; Dwayne is on the left). Just compare the hair:

photo by tvheaven.com

I'd better head to Spain next year with the combs, pomade and hairspray. $10 a head. It just might cover the cost for my trip! Hec, even Sven has more of Elvis' hair (he's in the background), than those kids:

photo by Humuhumu

SCD,

You've just released some long suppressed memories from when I first moved to the US as a kid. What's Happening was so popular, and even then I thought it was utter shite!

Yeah, I've no idea where the weird afro-quiff idea came from. Perhaps they just hadn't added the grease yet.....?

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 9 replies