Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beer and tomato juice

Pages: 1 23 replies

So my friend Rick brings over a new girlfriend who dumps tomato juice in her beer. Not in my house, I say. But of course the fear facter curiosity kicks in, and I pour her drink. Damn if she didn't toss back 4 of them.

She's from Kansas originally where apparently this is normal behavior. And by her accounts they drink the same foul concoction on the island of Jamaica, where they refer to it as a "red eye." So there you have it, a bizarre link between the primitive cultures of Kansas and Jamaica.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Yep, I've heard of it. I've even tried it. It ain't half bad...but i prefer to just drink beer straight from the tap.

I have had the pleasure of drinking a Lunchbox. My friend was at the Kon Tiki in Tuscon and it's on the menu. When he got back we went to the Purple Orchid and sure enough, they knew how to make it. Not really my kind of drink, but it's OK.

1/2 pint of beer
fill with pineapple juice
shot of Amaretto

I've seen it all mixed together and with the Amaretto in a shot glass on the side, drop it in and chug.

They have it all wrong in Kansass! It's supposed to be Beer and Clamato! With, a splash of Tobasco!!!!! That is The Red Eye! It's a morning thing. Well, used to be, before they made "Chaser. The atnti Hangover Pill!!" Dr Z is out of Biz.! Clamato is good in spegetti(sp?) sauce though.

p.s. Beer on Ice is pretty good too.

UB

In California, I've been pourin Bloody Beers for many years to customers.
It's much better with a Bloody Mary mix made from scratch.
Cheers

MB
Mrs. B posted on Fri, Mar 5, 2004 9:28 PM

Mr Unga,
Bloody Bull? Whatathat again?
I know you'll have the answer.
Aloha!

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Beeeeeeeeeeer!

UB

On 2004-03-05 21:28, Mrs. B wrote:
Mr Unga,
Aloha!

Have not made that in a long time Mrs. B
vodka
V-8
lemon juice
beef bouillon
Worcestershire sauce

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-03-05 21:47 ]

On 2004-03-05 21:46, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2004-03-05 21:28, Mrs. B wrote:
Mr Unga,
Aloha!

Have not made that in a long time Mrs. B
vodka
V-8
lemon juice
beef bouillon
Worcestershire sauce

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-03-05 21:47 ]

Damn! That sounds good right now!!!

MB

V-8?

I think the old skool use to be just plain old bloody mix....this just came to mind cause Buddy Epson (sp?) Mr. "Hillbilly", use to order them at a spot in Newport where I worked...he was an early drinker...hope he went out happy :) Maybe he woulda' lasted longer with V8...who knew!
Thanks Unga!

I just call it tomatobeer. Nothin' fancy, usually mix it 3/4 beer to 1/4 tomato juice with a shake o' salt...the colder the better. I usually make myself a couple in the morning after a severe party and somebody's left some strange beer in my fridge that I know I'll never drink any other way (hate to see anything go to waste). It puts out the fire so I can move on to more "refined" morning drinks like Harvey Wallbangers or Tequilla Sunrises. A day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine!

UB

Unga, you send me a case o' that shit, and I'll send you back the empties...DEAL?

I had an art opening at a Sushi joint and the Japanesse bar tender had me drinking sake and beer. Something like a boiler maker. He would sit a shoot glass on two chop sticks over the glass of beer then he would scream out some jibberish pound his fist on the bar and make the shoot glass fall into the beer. I don't really remember the taste. Actually the last thing I remember was the non-english speaking sushi chef pulling me into the store room. In the store room he started to disrobe to my horror then I finally realised what he was trying to comunicate which was that he had yakazu type tattos over his whole body. He wanted to show off his art as well.
What was this thread about?

K
kctiki posted on Sat, Mar 6, 2004 6:49 AM

On 2004-03-05 20:11, nice fishy wrote:

She's from Kansas originally where apparently this is normal behavior.

My mama is a Kansas farm girl. I remember her drinking straight saurkraut juice when I was a kid. I don't think that's normal behavior even for Kansas. But beer & kraut juice might be tasty.

Yeah, maybe I know about it cause I'm part white-trash, but tomato juice and beer is drunken the day after for a 'hair of the dog' elixer. (along with eggs over easy, grits with molasses, bacon and white bread toast.)

M

Once again proving that TC is the source of all informtion, believe it or not, we've already discussed Tomato Beer here.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6610&forum=1&start=0

Amongst other drinks....

I could use a tomato beer right now.

I thought there was something strangely deja vu about this topic. We didn't cover the sauerkraut juice though. Sauerkraut must possess some kind of olde world healing qualities or something. I was watching a show on the History Channel about the building of the Golden Gate Bridge and when guys would show up obviously hungover for work the company doctor would give them a glass of sauerkraut juice to steady them so they wouldn't fall off the bridge (a hell of a way to start your day). I love sauerkraut myself...it goes good with tomato beer and bratwurst. The best is Meeter's from Wisconsin (natch').

T

I thought Clamato was only a Canadian thing!

UB
T

From what I know as an ex-bartender, no one in Canada orders a Bloody Mary - in Canada it is called a Caesar and made expressly with Clamato, not tomato juice. No bar here has tomato juice, only Clamato. Also, it is usually only drunk at brunch as a hangover remedy.

TB

My Father likes to put salt in his beer, I thought is strange untill i tried, not to bad, so i'll have to try tomato beer.

BT

MUST HAVE CLAM!
"Red Beer"
must have clam
Bwana must have clam for red beer.
Mmmmmmmm... red beer
Mmmmmmmmm... clam
clams quiet... won't hurt Bwana head.
good quiet clams... shhhhh... good clam.
good red beer.
Mmmmmm...drink wit Bwana clam, swim in Bwana beer. clam is Bwana friend. good clam. good red beer.

Pages: 1 23 replies