Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Introduction/Old School vs. New School

Pages: 1 13 replies

SF

Hi all,
This is my first time post so please be gentle, I have sensative feet, not sure what that means ... It's up for interpretation.

I've been a tiki mug collector for about 10 years now (wish I had more). I'm not sure exactly why but my favorite mug has to be the Kahiki Headhunter, simple clean lines, he just looks cool, like someone you want to hang out with.

Anyway I wanted to get some thoughts on Old School tiki Mugs Vs. New School tiki mugs, likes and dislikes. I personally like the old stuff. Nothing like taking a swig from a LEAD GLAZED tiki mug, puts real hair on your chest. That feeling you get when you find a great old tiki mug late in the day after driving all over town, low on gas, headache, backache, $1 dollar left in your pocket, your car is suddenly making a strange sound. It's like a glowing beacon amongst a sea of thrift store trash. You know it has a history and needs the years of grime cleaned off and your just the person to give it new life. My time on this earth has meaning afterall. Maybe this is why I like the old school tiki mugs. I do appreciate the newer mugs being created today though, some really cool designs. One click of a button add it to your shopping cart, input your credit card and wait for your new school tiki mug to arrive, it's like christmas when opening that box. Next is where to put it? Should I mix it in with the old mugs or create a whole section of only new mugs? So I guess I like ALL tiki mugs ... I feel like I'm in therapy and just had a breakthrough!

Thanks for letting me talk this through and thanks for listening.

Doug aka Mr. Crafty

Aloha Mr. Crafty! You missed a good parking lot sale today at Tiki Farm! Welcome aboard Mate!!!!

p.s. Walk the plank with your sensative feet!Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-03-06 21:34 ]

M

Welcome aboard Mr. Crafty. Hey, are you the same Mr. Crafty who's selling those incredible prints on eBay? If so, very nice work! I hope to purchase a couple of them in the near future. Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

Howdy Mr. Crafty.

I have old school vs. new school issues which are compounded with my mass marketed vs. artisan-designed issues which just make me a complete mess. My biggest problem is to not allow myself to be influenced by the opinions of others. I buy whatever I like whenever I find it, but I have to admit that in my house I display all my old school mugs in my living room while all of the newer mugs live in my library. Shag, of course, gets the whole mantle to himself though. I have no shame when it comes to my devotion to Shag.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Welcome aboard Mr. Crafty!
love your artwork.
I've got 2 of your prints.
old school vs new school? just buy what you like. I use my mugs to drink from and I wear my shag shirt right along with my other Hawaiian shirts. Dont have a mantel but I keep t.p. and towels in my "library".
Aloha!

:drink:

[ Edited by: Tiki Rider on 2004-03-08 23:42 ]

N

Hey Mr. Crafty, I love your artwork I have 2 prints of yours also. I love the new school stuff, but you couldn't have the new stuff if it wasn't for the old classics. Just buy what you like, that's all that matters. I always like an angry looking tiki with flames, a must have for me.

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-03-09 01:10 ]

[ Edited by: net-tiki on 2004-03-09 01:11 ]

If you see a tiki mug, that kicks you in the gut, and makes yer teeth zing, but you find out its new, what do you do?

New/shmoo, old/shmold... It's all good, but I aint gonna slag ya if the old stuff is all ya want. Leaves more stuff for me!

But do keep producing some of the finest prints I've seen! I must own some... someday.
tg

On 2004-03-07 02:31, ModMana wrote:
Welcome aboard Mr. Crafty. Hey, are you the same Mr. Crafty who's selling those incredible prints on eBay? If so, very nice work! I hope to purchase a couple of them in the near future. Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome.
ModMana, yes, thats me. Tiki lounge is one of my passions and I get nothing but pure enjoyment when painting anything tiki. For anyone at Tiki Central interested in buying any of my prints on e-bay just mention you saw me on Tiki Central and get free shipping.

Thanks all!
Doug aka Mr. Crafty

Aloha Mr. Crafty!

I have been a proud owner of the "Kona Lanes" print #64 for some time now. I am hoping that someday Doug will make an exclusive "Tiki Central" print for all of us TC'ers (hint,hint). You really do have to see his prints up close.

Doug, didn't you have a website before? If so, be sure to add it to your profile!

M

Welcome aboard Mr. Crafty!!! I dig your artwork, but don't have any yet. My opinion on the old vs. new Tiki Mugs is that old is good to collect while new is good to use. I'm always nervous with the old stuff as most of it is harder to replace. I pretty much have my collection separated between old and new as well.

Matt

C

[i]On 2004-03-09 11:48, Mr. Crafty wrote
For anyone at Tiki Central interested in buying any of my prints on e-bay just mention you saw me on Tiki Central and get free shipping.

Now you tell us! Oh wait, I picked mine up.

Good to see you're online with us tiki fiends, welcome!

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2004-03-09 16:52 ]

The new stuff will be old soon enough.

HELLO MR CRAFTY, WELCOME!! I'VE GOT 6 OF HIS
PAINTINGS, THE MAN IS COOOOOOL!! TAKE CARE AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK BRO!!!!!!

Hey, great prints, Mr. Crafty! I might have to pick up one o' them babies!

I'm like you, I really like the old school mugs. I love the feeling that there might be some molecules of ancient goodness still lining the edge--or at least a psychic connection to the mixologists who poured their libations into it and the men and women that slurped from its interior. That connection to the past, that's what really makes it real. Plus, the excitement of going on a quest to find that old ancient icon and then finally uncovering it in a pile of junk is a real high. The new stuff doesn't give you that sense of discovery.

I also like the fact that those old mugs come from that old era when tiki stuff was made without IRONY! Some of the new school stuff gives me the feeling that the designer might be going through a "phase," following fashion, or simply making fun of the tiki style. That said, I do still think that there's some amazing new stuff going on out there, and there's plenty of room for all of it on my shelf.

Pages: 1 13 replies