Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Orchids of Hawaii vs. Orchid Designs

Pages: 1 9 replies

Does anybody know if Orchids of Hawaii and Orchid Designs (also of Hawaii) are the same company? Same parent company, maybe?

Thanks!

Sliverline,

No. "Orchids" as I have discovered after reading your thead, seems to be a "word" that can be used in a number of contexts.

I now understand that it seems to relate to some sort of "flower" that "people" seem to "infer" relates to "Hawaii".

I have also discovered that "orchid" is not a copyright of some corporation and can be used in a number of references.

(now I'm going to research the meaning of "a")

You're such a mean bastid, Bong, it cracks me up! I could never do that...
We make a good "Good cop/Bad cop" couple!

T

He may be a bastid, but he's a FUNNY bastid!

[ Edited by: tikifish on 2004-03-07 16:44 ]

K
kctiki posted on Mon, Mar 8, 2004 4:34 PM

SilverLine, there's no such thing as a silly question if you don't know the answer. TikiCentral & the titles listed in the Books section are your best bet for finding info on both the big picture and minutia of tiki collecting.

As you may have surmised, there's no more connection between the two orchids companies than there are between the various KC eating establishments with the word bar-b-q or barbeque or (my favorite) BBQ in the name.

You're lucky. Most of us have to stick up a liquor store before we get the good cop-bad cop treatment from the Bong-bigbro duo.

[ Edited by: kctiki on 2004-03-08 16:37 ]

Hey KCTiki, ain't no thang. At least he answered my question! : )

Whereabouts in town are you? I'm in the Old Northeast area by the KC Museum.

K
kctiki posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2004 3:13 PM

Northeast has got to be hog heaven for a historic preservationist! Those are some fabulous old houses up there.

I currently reside in Overland Park but now that my kid is out on his own I'll probably move on as Johnson County isn't my natural habitat.

I hope you keep the Drum Room thread updated if you find out any new info on the progress.

8T

I currently reside in Overland Park but now that my kid is out on his own I'll probably move on as Johnson County isn't my natural habitat.

Hey now, don't go too far. Our numbers are so few in the area anyway. Were you planning to move to a more rural area or will it be a galaxy far, far away??

K

8FT, no not far. Just selling this fixer upper I bought (the HANEY place??!!) just to be in the school system.

A

Similar question...

Anyone know if this has any relationship to the mugmaker? I'd guess that this ad is related to actual flowers, not mugs. It is interesting that there's a Tokyo Japan connection though, just like the mugmaker.

Incidentally, this ad is from a 1968 tourist newspaper from the big island (Hawaii). According to other things in the same paper, the big island is/was also known as the Orchid Island.

-Randy

Pages: 1 9 replies