Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Odd abstract mug

Pages: 1 11 replies

Would anyone know anything about a very abstract moai mug with the name Kimbe or Kembi incised on the bottom?

Could it possibly say Kemoo?

Maybe it's a homemade mug. There were some companys that made tiki molds for DIY mugs. Maybe Kimbi is the name of the person who made it. I have an Ashely, Noel, and one that says Glady's.

I finally saw the underside of the thing today; it reads "Kambi." Na Kambi is one of the Solomon Islands, but I'm betting you're right and its homemade.
It looks like a Witco fountain or Mainlander mug without eyes...a mouth and a sort of nose but no eyes...maybe its a blind cave tiki. The colors are rather 70's, off-white and brown on the outside and orange on the inside.
I went ahead and bought it in a deal which included several mass-produced items (including a suffering bastard decanter, woo-hoo!) which I'll post about in tiki finds when I can get a pic.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-03-07 23:28 ]

Her 'tis. Its about 8 3/4 inches tall and really heavy.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-03-08 19:50 ]

B

Hmmmm.....

Strikow?

huh...Thank you for making me aware of Strikow; were they ever known to make a mug?
Maybe someone made it as a home project, but if so, its awfully well done.

K
kctiki posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2004 5:47 AM

I'd guess that most blind cave tikis are albino like badmojo's speciman. Maybe the black & white one's mom was traumatized by a penquin while he was hatching.

Seriously though, to me it looks like a mid-century Italian or maybe German ceramic piece. Just an off-the-hip guess. I don't really know anything.

It's definitely that Strickow bottle (p.186 BOT). I have seen it before where someone cut of the top to make a mug out of it. Judging by the smooth surface of this one they either put on a new paint job OR took a mold from the bottle and cast a completely new mug.

The modernistic design of this bottle was always one of my faves, it was also liked enough back then to be copied, there are still concrete lawn Tikis in two different sizes out there that used a very similar design, and I've seen it as a lamp base.

Thanks for the info. Its glazed rather than painted, and fairly precisely. Its not an exact copy of the bottle as it is smooth, perfectly symetrical and maybe a bit fatter than the lower portion of the bottle as if someone slightly changed the proportions to make it "muggier." But whether its homemade or produced by Strikow, I like it; its expressive.

Got any pics of those concrete lawn tikis?

T

I think this is a homemade Strikow mug I found.

S

Hey tikidon? It appears to me that you actually used the Search function. Please do not do that again and just start another thread in future.
Thanks
swizzle

:D

Pages: 1 11 replies