Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Hawaiian Skate Night at Redwood CIty Roller Rink

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey all!

There's going to be a Hawaiian-themed skate night at Redwood City Roller Rink on March 19th, from 7:30-10pm, in of course, REDWOOD CITY. There will be free leis and plastic coconut mugs and tiki punch (probably ragingly NON-alcoholic, unfortunately), but Hawaiian attire is requested. Is anyone interested in deluging the place with rolling, slightly-tipsy tiki-philes? I'm totally into this. :)

H

I'm planning on coming up for the Pineapples' Luau the next day... I'm thinking about coming up Friday afternoon to do this, too. If I come up early, though, I'll want to recruit a cohort for the adventure.

Any hoiti toitis want to hitch a ride up to the Bay Area Friday 3/19 (leaving by about 2pm, I think), hit the roller rink Friday, luau Saturday, and then drive back Sunday? I only have room for one passenger, and if the weather is nice, I'll insist on having the top down. I'll happily do all the driving, and gas is on me. We can split a hotel room, or maybe a local will let us crash with them. PM me if you're interested.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-03-08 15:10 ]

hey Humu!

Thanks for being the only non fraidy-kitten to reply to this. I'm going to go anyway, because it's totally fun and the icees are cheap. No grownups allowed. :wink: I hope I can see you there!

By the way, if you need a place to stay - do let me know!

"Those who think conventionally will never read my thoughts..." - The Black Lizard

http://www.integraonline.com/~missyvonne/index.html

[ Edited by: Frenchy Polynesia on 2004-03-09 12:51 ]

I'd like to go to this -- where is it exactly?

Hey there! The rink is in lovely (gak!) Redwood City, at

1303 Main St, Redwood City, CA 94063
Phone: (650) 369-5558

I'm going skating this weekend, so I will confirm that this is the correct time for the event, and let y'all know.

Sounds like great fun! I would love to go but I won't be back in the bay area until late April. Represent.

The Redwood City Roller Rink (site is down?) is one of the last authentic Roller Discos left in the state.

I happen to have a great love for this particular skate rink. It was there in 1977, during a slow skate to Andy Gibbs "I just want to be you everything", that I discovered what must be THE most important thing to pubescent boys, GIRLS! Also, next to the jukebox was a vending machine that sold KISS and Skateboarding trading cards. The KISS cards allowed me entrance via an entry form to the KISS ARMY, from which I quickly found myself AWOL. The Skateboarding cards had little color pictures of my heros (Jay Addams, Stacey Peralta, etc.) riding pools, solidifying my lifelong love of skateboarding.

I doubt they still have the shag carpeting on the wall but this place is a true piece of California.

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2004-03-14 09:13 ]

Hey Kimo! Great story - that's so cool. Redwood cIty Roller Rink is one of my favorites - it's totally time for a revival of these places. It's obviously been there since the 40s, judging by their postwar-era signage. It's almost a carbon copy of the rink I used to skate at in Albany, Oregon (the Skateway),which up until my childhood still had the original snack bar with funky linoleum, Norman-Rockwellish bar stools, and 40s era cartoon murals painted on the wall! Urban archaeology, anyone? AND, if you find yourself in the area - every Sat. night is DISCO NIGHT! :)

I'm on my way! I have a business meeting this morning, and as soon as that's over I'm hopping on the highway. Frency or Cynful (or anyone else who's going), call me this afternoon when you have a moment so I can coordinate getting there - (206) 349-1362.

Pages: 1 7 replies