Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What a Deal!

Pages: 1 7 replies

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/sweetleilanihawaiian/item/lgs1171

I love the description, "Estate beauty"

-Z

You know, it's funny - as much as I rag on these too, especially when I'm in New Orleans and see them going for $20-26, I actually have never gotten around to getting one! It's sort of like Michael Jackson stuff in the '80's: you heard it so much, you never needed to go buy the album(s), since you knew every d*mn song by heart, whether you wanted to or not!

And like MJ's '80's albums, Leilanis are so ubiquitous that it will be a loooong time before they are worth big bucks to a collector. But they're still great little mugs, and Thriller was still a fun album, or at least video.

C'mon, admit it. You know you watched for the dancing ghouls to come out every time, and for the black stuff to pour out of the corpse's mouth. C'mon, be honest. I thought so.

Oops, kinda drifted away from tiki there....wait....Vincent Price! Yes! The disembodied laughing voice on the video, and the bad guy on the Brady tiki episode. 6 degrees of tiki, anyone?

I was 15 when Thriler came out. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever as I sat there wearing my MJ leather jacket with the chain mesh on the shoulders and all those zippers, ah, all those zippers.

About the mug, I paid 50 cents for my R-74. Now that's a deal!

I was just rather amused at the description. As far as price goes, my local Chinese restaurant still sells original OoH mugs (not the repros) for $6.50. And thats unused.

RE: Michael Jackson, I gotta stick with Off The Wall (sorry)

6 degrees of Tiki? ok. Jimmy Stewart. Go!

-Z

M

On 2004-03-08 11:17, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

6 degrees of Tiki? ok. Jimmy Stewart. Go!

-Z

Easy!

Jimmy Stewart was in Everybody's All-American (1988) with Ray Baker. Ray Baker was in Ed Wood (1994) with Martin Landau. Martin Landau was in Mistress (1992). And the cinematographer on Mistress was Sven Kirsten!

hehe.

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-03-08 18:57 ]

I've never actually seen one marked Leilani, but I've gotten eight R-91s since I started collecting mugs a few months ago. I paid a dollar each for mine from the same dealer. I usually see them these days for about $4, though this weekend I saw one at $25. They are nice little mugs though and its nice to have something common enough that I can actually use it without handling it with kid gloves.

Did it! Finally found a cheap Leilani and bought it for $3, which is all I ever wanted to pay (and got it knocked down from $4.50 because the woman to whom I happened to have loaned my tape measurer in my pocket ended up being the owner of that stall!). Now I have my own 'estate beauty.'

Note: did I look too quickly the first time and mistake the original mug on this thread as a Leilani? Or has it changed to a different mug since I first read this? If the former, sorry. I know better - silly me!

Welcome to the club! We Leilani owners meet the first monday of every month at the community center in room 202, just past the AA meeting, but before the rage-a-holics group.

On 2004-03-14 18:43, Formikahini wrote:

Note: did I look too quickly the first time and mistake the original mug on this thread as a Leilani? Or has it changed to a different mug since I first read this?

Yes, indeed, the mug has not changed. Don't worry, I won't tell. :wink:

-Z

Pages: 1 7 replies