Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Disneyland's Tiki Room/Tahitain Terrace Music Loop!

Pages: 1 28 replies

I know of 2 different loops from Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room and/or Tahitian Terrace Loops. Nobody seems to know much about any of these loops. The first one is labeled as the "original lanai" loop. It is long (40 or 60 mins) and I think it's actually a shorter set of track that loops 2 maybe 3 times. They all seem to be needle drops of Arthur Lyman music (maybe more). Does anybody know anything about this track? When it played or where? Did the Tahitian Terrace loop copy the Tiki Room loop? Also, there is a second loop floating around. This one is shorter (about 15 mins?) and features Hawaiian sounding tracks. I know that these are the tracks that currently play outside the Tiki Room. I don't know if they were needle dropped or recorded especially for Disney. What makes me think that they might be original recordings is that one (or 2) of the tracks is part of the "Flavor of Hawaii" film presented in the queue. Anybody have any more info on either of these tracks? Are these more loops? Where did each play? When? Thanks in advance.
See you at Tiki Oasis IV!!!
Louis

Anybody? :(

• Atomobile wrote:*
    Anybody? :(

Atomobile~

Umm...well, I think we might need some clarification on what you are speaking of. I am a little confused myself.

"I know of 2 different loops from Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room and/or Tahitian Terrace Loops. Nobody seems to know much about any of these loops."
Ok, how is it that you know of these loops exactly?

"The first one is labeled as the "original lanai" loop. It is long (40 or 60 mins) and I think it's actually a shorter set of track that loops 2 maybe 3 times. They all seem to be needle drops of Arthur Lyman music (maybe more). Does anybody know anything about this track?"
So, are you actually saying you purchased/obtained audio tracks from somewhere since you say the first one is "labeled" the "original lanai" loop? You first said you knew of them.

"When it played or where? Did the Tahitian Terrace loop copy the Tiki Room loop? Also, there is a second loop floating around. This one is shorter (about 15 mins?) and features Hawaiian sounding tracks. I know that these are the tracks that currently play outside the Tiki Room."
I never heard of any loops from the Tiki Room or Tahitian Terrace that were floating around. If you know "that these are the tracks that currently play outside the Tiki Room", then doesn't that answer your original question?

"Are these more loops? Where did each play? When?"

**ok, my apologies in advance, but I kind of feel that I walked into the middle of a conversation. Maybe I'm not reading your post correctly. Maybe there are no current responses because everyone else is as confused as me.

Maybe I need another cup of coffee.**

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-03-12 10:59 ]

ahhhh - Louis is just fishing for information that probably doesn't exsist...

For those of us in the theme park audio collecting/trading world (don't ask - much worse than normal bootleg collectors), there are two versions of "Lanai background music" from the Tiki Room at Disneyland floating around in the trading world.

The first & shorter one (which is about 16 1/2 minutes long) has been out amongst traders for a while now, and is generally accepted as the BGM that plays in the lanai currently.

The second one, which just surfaced last year (and clocks in at a whopping hour & 20 minutes) has been ID tagged as "Original Lanai BGM" or "Tahitian Terrace BGM" (which is highly possible that the two areas shared background music).

The thought is that the 16 minute BGM was installed in the 70s - the hour plus one in '63 - but no one has any way of verifying this.

I think Louis is looking for verification here, if anyone can - which is probably impossible at this point. The original people who installed the music are long gone.....

Too much minutiae for you? Told ya audio traders are a sick breed....

Fascinating.
How do y'all aquire themepark background music and then trade it? And, is it possible for regular folks to get said Tiki Room/Lanai music for personal enjoyment?
Aloha,
:tiki:

Thanks for the clarification Tangaroa. I figured that with your 'in' on amusement parks that you would know what's happening.

I now have had my coffee fill and now understand.

Is it possible that the longer is the original, & over the next ten years or so the tape broke & was repaired multiple times before being re-recorded & bootlegged as the Lanai BGM?

T

How do y'all aquire themepark background music and then trade it? And, is it possible for regular folks to get said Tiki Room/Lanai music for personal enjoyment?

Just like any other unreleased music trader would... trading what you have with other people who have what you want! Check websites like this one:
http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/

there are also newgroups that deal with this stuff - but me being a Mac person, I've never explored those things too much. But check out the above site & send out an e-mail to a likely candidate for a trade!

On 2004-03-12 13:07, freddiefreelance wrote:
Is it possible that the longer is the original, & over the next ten years or so the tape broke & was repaired multiple times before being re-recorded & bootlegged as the Lanai BGM?

Since the two tapes seem to have different music, I'd say not. Also - when the slave tape brakes, they are supposed to just make another off the master (back in the pre-digital cart days)... It was probably just an artistic decision by someone...

Thanks much Tangaroa, that is the same info I had and it's good to see that there isn't any additional info I'm missing. Regarding the "Original Lanai," I have every Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny, and Les Baxter CD available. I'm pretty sure that I have all the tracks on that loop in higher quality. I'd like to recreate it using clean tracks (the loop seems to have come from records). I hope this isn't a fake loop. :) Also, regarding the shorter loop, I would love to find out where those recordings came from. Do you think it's possible that they were recorded especially for the Tiki Room since some of that same music show up on the "Flavor of Hawaii" movie? I'd love to find out. Thanks for your great info! It is always great hearing Tiki theme park history from you!
Louis

T

Can't wait for your two disc masterpiece!

Atomobile, you are named for the Voyage thru inner space buggies, right?

Are you the one who made the website, http://www.atomobile.com??

On 2004-03-12 14:28, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2004-03-12 13:07, freddiefreelance wrote:

Since the two tapes seem to have different music, I'd say not. Also - when the slave tape brakes, they are supposed to just make another off the master (back in the pre-digital cart days)... It was probably just an artistic decision by someone...

That's the way it's supposed to work, but I asked 'cause it doesn't always work that way. :) When I worked in radio (back when you bradcasted by banging 2 rocks together...) the master was often used on air 'cause it was easier to just swap it in for a cart gone bad than to try & fix the bad 1.

T

On 2004-03-15 11:40, tiki mick wrote:
Atomobile, you are named for the Voyage thru inner space buggies, right?

Are you the one who made the website, http://www.atomobile.com??

Nope - the person responsible is named Steve - and if you are an Inner Space fan, you are gonna get your socks knocked off by his Maya recreation...!

(Apologies to Atomobile - to be so presumptuous to answer for him!)

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-03-15 13:44 ]

TM1

Tangaroa, Voyage thru inner space was THE ride!

A total space-pop moderne freakin' masterpiece!!

Star tours really, really, really bites the big one!

Man, I wish they still had it! That was the best ride to take rips on, (besides the skyway, of course!!ha ha!)
I remember at the end of the ride, you passed by the glowing nucleus of the atom, it was like a giant red eye, and then you left the ride and there was an electric sidewalk kinda deal, and it went around a Monsanto oil waterfall....unbelievebly cool, and I was crying when they destroyed it (and the rest of tomorrowland)

My fanstasy is that they hire Shag to redo it..(are you reading this Josh Agle?) because I feel he is the only one who could do it justice and totally retore it back to the way it was!

Hello,
Yes, my username is taken after the Adventure thru Inner Space vehicles (Atomobiles). I have always been a big fan of that attraction. I think it was a tragedy that we lost that ride. I wanted to build a website for it for years but never got started. Then Steve started building the site Atommobiles.com (sic) and I decided to help him out. I contributed a LONG and detailed history report, as well as many pictures. Most importantly, I contributed a CD with complete notes that he reproduces and mails out to people who help fund the website. It's a great CD and I'd be more than happy to trade it with anyone. I'm looking for a copy of those Exotica CDs that have 3 exotica songs over and over by different artists (I think it's Caravan, Quiet Village, and a third). Or any other rare Tiki audio. If you have lots, I could also trade you for my 2 CD set of Enchanted Tiki Room audio. It is 2 hours and 40 minutes of rare and complete Enchanted Tiki Room audio. Everyting you could ever hope for.
Tangaroa, your copies are coming soon. I'm listening to it as we speak to check that everything dubbed good. I still have to create notes for the tracks. Soon...

TM1

On 2004-03-15 16:21, Atomobile wrote:
Hello,
Yes, my username is taken after the Adventure thru Inner Space vehicles (Atomobiles). I have always been a big fan of that attraction. I think it was a tragedy that we lost that ride. I wanted to build a website for it for years but never got started. Then Steve started building the site Atommobiles.com (sic) and I decided to help him out. I contributed a LONG and detailed history report, as well as many pictures. Most importantly, I contributed a CD with complete notes that he reproduces and mails out to people who help fund the website. It's a great CD and I'd be more than happy to trade it with anyone. I'm looking for a copy of those Exotica CDs that have 3 exotica songs over and over by different artists (I think it's Caravan, Quiet Village, and a third). Or any other rare Tiki audio. If you have lots, I could also trade you for my 2 CD set of Enchanted Tiki Room audio. It is 2 hours and 40 minutes of rare and complete Enchanted Tiki Room audio. Everyting you could ever hope for.
Tangaroa, your copies are coming soon. I'm listening to it as we speak to check that everything dubbed good. I still have to create notes for the tracks. Soon...

Are you going to tiki oasis? I was planning to bring some of my own favorite mix tapes of exotica..(I have pretty much all the esential stuff) for the drive down, but would be more then happy to burn extra, if you want to trade!

The audio narration of inner space would be too cool to even comtemplate!!

I will absolutely be at Tiki Oasis. As far as my Tiki CDs, I have all the Arthur Lyman, Martin Denny,and Les Baxter CDs, and a few others. My Adventure thru Inner Space CD is 100% complete with the entire pre-show, show, post-show, demos, isolated elements, and un-used soundtracks. Talk to you soon,
Louis
[email protected]

On 2004-03-15 16:21, Atomobile wrote:

Thanks! Can't wait...

M

There is (or was) a station on Live365 that was devoted exclusively to Disneyland themepark background music. I would up listening to it for hours...it is fascinating!!

I like SOME park background music. For obvious reasons, I like the Exotica BGM of the Tiki Room/Polynesian area. Some are more interesting than others. I prefer when the music was recorded specifically for the land as opposed to using existing music (such as in most of California Adventure), but even that can be awefull sometimes (such as most of the music used at Islands of Adventure).
I have a special interest of Tiki theme park/ Tourist attraction soundtracks. All I know of is the Disney Tiki Room material and the Tiki Gardens LP. Anybody know of any others I could be looking for?

Louis

T

Well - I got my 2-disc Tiki Room CD in the mail last night - & Atomobile did an awesome job! I've had a lot of these tracks in various formats before - but the quality is much improved. The Barker Bird track has never sounded so good!

With Atomobiles permission - here's the CD art:

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-03-23 19:05 ]

Hi,
I'm glad you liked it! I spent many hours looking thru the Imagineering Sound Department, Walt Disney Records archives (not much there as far as Tiki Room), and had to have additional remastering done. I like the end result. It's great to have all this material in one place. Here is the track listing:
DISC 1: WALT DISNEY’S ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM
01. The Tiki Room
An early version of the show for the proposed Adventureland Restaurant “The Tiki Room.”
02. The Barker Bird
The complete soundtrack to the barker bird (Jose’s cousin) perched above the entrance to the attraction. Voiced by Wally Boag.
03. Enchanted Tiki Garden
The complete soundtrack to the United Airlines’ sponsored “Enchanted Tiki Garden.”
04. Behind the Scenes
Jose, the host of the Enchanted Tiki Room, takes us behind the scenes.

1. The Enchanted Tiki Room
    The complete soundtrack to Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room arranged and conducted by George Bruns.

2. The Flavor of Hawaii
    The soundtrack to the Dole sponsored film shown in the Enchanted Tiki Garden since the 70s.

3. Enchanted Tiki Garden
    An alternate version of the pre-show that omits all references to a sponsor.
    08-19. The Isolated Enchanted Tiki Room
    The Enchanted Tiki Room show presented via highlights of the soundtrack in isolated form.

DISC 2:
01. Tour for the Blind
Jack Wagner describes The Enchanted Tiki Room in great detail in this vintage narration made for Disneyland blind guests.
02. The Enchanted Tiki Room
Here, in stereo, is the complete restored version of the show.
03. Tahitian Terrace
The soundtrack to the Tahitian Terrace show as heard in the film “Disneyland After Dark.”
04. The Electronic Utility Show (Toucan and Parrot Show)
From the 1964-65 World’s Fair comes this Progressland attraction. This show from the “Medallion City” area features “Monsieur Le Toucan” voiced by Paul Frees, “Rip Van Wrinkles” voiced by Wally Boag, and an animated utility pole transformer voiced by Dick Wesson.
05. Tiki Drums
From Florida comes the soundtrack to the Adventureland Tiki Drums.
06. Tropical Serenade’s Barker Bird
When the Enchanted Tiki Room show was recreated in Florida, a new barker bird soundtrack was created by editing the original Disneyland spiel. In this sample you can hear a few new sound effects that were added to freshen it up the spiel.
07. Tokyo Enchanted Tiki Room
When Tokyo Disneyland opened, the original show was dubbed in Japanese. Here are highlights of that version of the show.
08. The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room Background
Arranged by Richard Bellis for use as background music at Disney Resorts.
09. New Orleans Square Bird Lady Window
When Disneyland’s New Orleans Square was refurbished in the 90’s, new soundtracks were recorded for the windows. Here, in a segment of the “Bird Lady” window, are references to the Enchanted Tiki Room.
10. Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing
In the 1990’s the show was completely re-recorded with the surviving cast with plans to replace the original soundtrack. Here is a track from those never-used recordings.
11. The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room Instrumental
As part of the background music loop for the Tokyo exhibit “Imagineering the Dream”, a new instrumental mix of this song was created using the original elements. Mixed by Greg Krueger and remixed by Steven A. Litten.
12. Under New Management “Friend Like Me”
In the spring of ‘98, Florida’s original show was replaced with a new show titled “Enchanted Tiki Room -Under New Management.” Here is the opening number.
13. The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room Pizzafari
This version of the Sherman brothers’ song was created for use as area music for Pizzafari at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
14. Get the Fever Demo
Tokyo Disneyland replaced their original show with the new “Enchanted Tiki Room -Get the Fever.” Here is the complete English show demo.
15-17. Get the Fever Tokyo
Here are some highlights of the actual “Get the Fever” show in Japanese.

Atomobile

PS: You might get to hear some of this material at Tiki Oasis. Keep an ear open...

Is there any way I could get a copy of this? (Sorry if I missed the info earlier. I looked before I asked but that doesn't mean it wasn't there).

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2004-03-27 15:14 ]

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:05 ]

Hello,
I'm going to have to figure something out. My biggest concern is that I don't own the copyright to any of the material and wouldn't want to get in trouble. I would hate for anyone to try to profit from this material being available. Disney would probably never release a set like this which makes me feel better about trading. I'm always looking for tiki audio dealing with attractions or theme parks, public entertainment, etc. (I'm still waiting to get the Tiki Gardens CD from a friend). Another thing is that it took a lot of time and effort to print CD insert and CD labels for only 20 sets, so if I made copies I would probably e-mail you the artwork and let you print your own. Anybody have any ideas?
Best intentions,
Atomobile
[email protected]

Hello,

I'm trying to track down as much of the original Tiki Room / Tahitian Terrace soundtrack and background music as I can as a birthday gift for my good friend who is the biggest Enchanted Tiki Room fan I know.

Does anyone know what CDs / mp3s are out there that might include something more than just "In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room"? I know Atomobile posted that he was working on a Disney compilation album that would have a lot of the songs on it, but I'm not sure which compilation that is...

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Amanda

Ok, I think I've answered my own question about the box set. It's this one, right?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AA4MHM/disney-20/

Anything else out there that I should be aware of?

Much thanks!

I was at a Disneyana convention in Anaheim today and bought a 4 cd set of all the Enchanted Tiki Room music, etc. from a dealer called Extinct Atractions, AKA-Dave O' Neal. His discs are usually very good! You can see more info on Extinct Attractions.com. Check it out!!

After listening to the 4 cd set, there are some tracks that sound very similar to each other, but overall it has some great rare tracks, isolated effects, isolated music without sound efx, etc.

Pages: 1 28 replies