Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mug ID - Don The Beachcomber Coconut

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hello Everyone,

Long time reader; first time poster. Actually thought I posted this when I registered, but must have missed something.

Sorry no picture, but I was hoping the Tiki Tribe could help me get some info on a mug I scored the other day. It's a very simple, small, rough interpretation of a coconut with the Don The Beachcomber sign on it. No other markings. I've cruised the web to find similar, but have turned up bupkiss. Oh great Tiki Oracles, do you know what, when, who, how and how much?

Help!
Lady Miss Ian

Is it just the husk, or is the nut intact?
It makes a difference.
KG

Sorry, I should have clarified that it's ceramic. Dark brown, crude glaze. White interior. No potters marks on the bottom.

Don the Beachcomber condiment jar, ca 1970s, from the Getty period. Value is relative to who wants it how badly.
Not ultra rare, but since the chain has ceased to exist and Don played a formative role in Polynesian Pop, it is desirable.

T

Don the Beachcomber Coconut I have on my list of mugs that I use to keep updated have gone for anywhere from $80 to $35 on ebay. I looked at mine and I have markings on the bottom but I cannot make them out.

Thanks Big Bro and Tiki140.
Figured it was worth something, but also suspicious that it might be a reproduction, since I had never encountered one like it before. One of those great thriftin' happenstances. Got it for $2 at a very busy, crowded Goodwill in suburb of Minneapolis. Since I collect to collect, not to sell, value has more to do with what kind of rum gets to touch it! :wink:

Pages: 1 5 replies