Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Viva Las Vegas Weekender, April 8-11

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

Woofmutt posted earlier this year for Viva Las Vegas Opinions/Info Query but who's going? Viva Las Vegas is about a month away!

Lady Velour and I will be there. We will be finishing off our honeymoon that weekend. Let's all try to get together.

Johnnie

[ Edited by: johnnievelour on 2004-03-09 14:50 ]

M

Not only will I be there, but my band the Hi-Q's will be playing Friday evening at 6pm in the downstairs showroom as part of the new band showcase. Be sure to come check us out!!

http://www.hiqs.planetrockabilly.com

Matt

W

Well the moon and the stars got together to kick my ass out of the running so I WON'T be there. (To somewhat soothe my soul BR549 is playing here April 7 and I took the 8th off so I can celebrate/drown my sorrows in what us Jet City folks call "beer".)

Damm..can't make VLV..too far for the budget this year.

Good luck Matt...I trust you'll go down a storm.

hey all you Kats n Kittens going to VLV, go along and support Matt. the HI-Q's are solid.

T

On 2004-03-09 21:47, woofmutt wrote:
Well the moon and the stars got together to kick my ass out of the running so I WON'T be there. (To somewhat soothe my soul BR549 is playing here April 7 and I took the 8th off so I can celebrate/drown my sorrows in what us Jet City folks call "beer".)

That's too bad. I wanted to meet a fellow drink snob. Hopefully I can get up to Seattle soon (perhaps this Summer for the SCA conference).

I won't be arriving until Friday this year so I'm sorry to say that I'll miss Sweetpea's meet and greet.

I couldn't justify:
a more expensive flight,
another night's hotel lodging,
and missing a day of work,
just to see Deke Dickerson on Thursday night. I admit he puts on a great show but he just played here recently and he's playing again here soon.

I can barely stand three days in Las Vegas, let alone four!

I can't do both VLV and Oasis, so I picked Oasis, having done VLV/Mondo last year. However, I HAVE been putting lots of gratuitous uses of the term 'VLV' in my ebay auctions just to piss off... (ooops, sorry, wrong thread). :)

M

...hey, maybe I should start putting Tiki Oasis on all my auctions.....lol!!!

K

The Shifters gave us the okay to bring the Tiki bar back! Come by and have a drink!

Hey I remember this bar, I took Otto up to check it out. That thing was shooting smoke out it's ears and had it's eyes light up, very cool.

Damm....wish I was going.............
Maybe if I flashed the ink I might get a free drink???????

Maybe next year.

M

On 2004-03-11 18:13, KAHAKA wrote:
The Shifters gave us the okay to bring the Tiki bar back! Come by and have a drink!

Hey, I thought you guys had sold that sucker!!! Too cool! I'll be up there to check it out again this year!!!

Matt

P.S. I've got some pics of the bar in the photo gallery on planet rockabilly:

http://www.planetrockabilly.com/modules.php?set_albumName=vlv2003&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

K

HA! Matt, that's my old roommate and good pal Andy you're posin' with in the tiki bar!

M

Right on!!! I'll see you in a couple of weeks then!!!

Yikes, Jab, you gotta be in that pic with Matt and I ,too!
heheheheheh
Pea

Taht giant tiki RULED. Somehow I never made it over there though. You guys gonna sell drinkies from it this year? heehee.
Y'all are invited over to the Pre party on Thursday, April 8. Follow this to the info.
http://www.sweetpearockabilly.com
See ya there!
Matt, let's git our pic by the tiki!

T

On 2004-03-18 12:51, sweetpea wrote:
Yikes, Jab, you gotta be in that pic with Matt and I ,too!
heheheheheh
Pea

OK! Sorry I can't make it to the meet and greet, but I'm flying in on Friday.

S

I'll have a mia tai in yer honor at the meet and greet!
Pea

M

Sounds like a plan Pea....when I scrape my carcass out of bed on Saturday morning!!!

[Matt, let's git our pic by the tiki!

K

If you come by, ask for Woody. That's me. I'd like to meet you all.

Kahaka

Woody!
We'll be there for sure!
Maybe we oughtta set up a
tiki Central meeting time on Saturday!
Pea

I had the pleasure of meeting Sweetpea at last years VLV

maybe it was the year before that, VLV is always pretty much a drunken blur

B

Sweet Pea, Your meet and greet last year was a blast!
Cleo, Zach, and the rest of the booze swillin' sarong wearin'hillbillies (myself included)from Columbus will be at VLV again.
this year I vow not to lose my heels or pass out in front of the wrong room...

B

Sweet Pea, Your meet and greet last year was a blast!
Cleo, Zach, and the rest of the booze swillin' sarong wearin'hillbillies (myself included)from Columbus will be at VLV again.
this year I vow not to lose my heels or pass out in front of the wrong room...

S

I can't wait to see Zach in a sarong! heehee
:wink: KIDDING! YEeeeeehaw, it's gettin close! I'm so excited to see everyone!
I say we pick a time on Saturday, and have a lil' TC gathering at the giant tiki during the car show. Like 1-ish.
(unless some of you kids are gonna be busy taking Miss Sophia's Jiving class) then we could make it noonish...
WE could also have a lil TC meetup aqt the Hooch and Smooch too... (Minus Jab, since he won't be there till Friday...)
Pea
(there's the flyer! )

T

One o'clock works for me. If I go to bed at dawn then I can get 4 hours sleep. Oh hell, why sleep at all the first night!

Hey, Hey! the Velours are gittin' ready to leave on monday the 29th for the honeymoon. We're cruisin out on thursday, just in time for the hooch-n-smooch.

VIVA!

M

1pm it is then!!!

S

okay! 1PM Saturday!
Suicide Sam, you making it this year?
You gonna meet us at the giant tiki?
Wheeeeeeeeeee
Pea

T

There are way too many bands to see in Viva Las Vegas, so to help you out here are my picks for Viva Las Vegas:

My apologies in advance if I left out your favorite band (or your band), I'm just suggesting bands that I've either seen and liked, or want to see because they sound different from the usual VLV fare. I mean, seeing 2 dozen rockabilly bands can be a bit much, so I like to plan to see the best bands, and catch the rest if I feel like it.

FRIDAY

4:30P - Nicky Kay & Kay Tones - Showroom

5:30P - Arsen Roulette - Showroom

8:30 - God Bless Americana Slide Show - Showroom

At this point, I hope to be able to head over to Pogo's Tavern in North Vegas for a while to catch the legendary big band led by 80+ years young drummer Irv, who played with everyone in the heyday! Has anyone been there recently? I hope it's still happening. More info: http://www.vegas.com/nightlife/bars/pogos.html
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2001/Jul-08-Sun-2001/news/16494068.html

9:30P-2:30A - Doo Wop Night - Showroom

11:30P - Sid and Billy King - Ballroom

12:15P - Vicki Tafoya - Showroom

1:00A - Marti Brom - Ballroom

1:45A - Extraordinaires - Showroom

2:15A - Jack Baymoore - Ballroom

Whew! What a first night!

SATURDAY

9:00A - 3:00P - Car Show

7:30P - Howlin' Al & The Sharps - Showroom

9:30P - The Teenagers - Ballroom

11:00P - Gene Summers - Ballroom

11:45P - Royal Dueces - Showroom

12:30P - Extraordinaires - Ballroom - Well worth seeing twice!

1:00A - Johnny Dilks - Showroom

SUNDAY

5:00P - 9:00P - Rumble Bar Presents Annette Valdez, Los Rhythm Rockets, Lil Luis Y Los Wild Teens, Jack & The Rippers, DJs - Showroom

8:00P - Annita - Ballroom

9:00P - God Bless Americana Slide Show - Showroom

9:30P - Huelyn Duvall - Ballroom

11:00P - Barnstompers - Ballroom

11:45P - Ray Sharpe - Showroom

1:15P - Barrance Whitfield - Showroom

We have to make time for a dinner at the Golden Steer steakhouse and hopefully Battista's as well! And then there's the Allegro bar in the Bellagio that weird uncle tiki recommended. Does anyone know their hours?

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-03-23 17:35 ]

M

Jab - You better come see the Hi-Q's play right after Arsen Roulette...I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Hey Matt, heehee, check out the back of the
flyer for the Hooch and Smootch, The Hi-Q'a are one of Pea's Picks!
Everyone be sure too, to be in the Ballroom upstairs at 6:45 on Saturday night to see my Roommate play!!! Marshall Scott Warner and the Interstate 5! Dang, it's gettin close!
Pea

Thanks Sweet Pea!!! We'll finally have the full length CD for sale by then too!

Matt

On 2004-03-24 10:09, sweetpea wrote:
Hey Matt, heehee, check out the back of the
flyer for the Hooch and Smootch, The Hi-Q'a are one of Pea's Picks!
Everyone be sure too, to be in the Ballroom upstairs at 6:45 on Saturday night to see my Roommate play!!! Marshall Scott Warner and the Interstate 5! Dang, it's gettin close!
Pea

T

On 2004-03-24 06:29, mattfink wrote:
Jab - You better come see the Hi-Q's play right after Arsen Roulette...I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for the tip Matt! I'm not familiar with the HiQ's yet but I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Unfortunately, I may miss the Marshall Scott Warner show as we're having steak dinner at the Golden Steer on Sat. night (it's our annual visit there and I wouldn't miss it).

T

Matt-

When I saw the name the Hi-Qs I had to chuckle because a few years back I used to buy all the computers for the company I work at from HiQ Computers. Here's proof:

http://www.hiq.com/

I hope you guys don't try to sell me a computer, now I buy from Dell!

M

Jab,

That's funny! We don't sell computers, though our bass player is a computer tech. We got the name from the Hi-Q record label. It was a subsidiary of the Forturne label here in Detroit. Roy Hall did the original version of "Three Alley Cats" on Hi-Q.

Matt

I second the Jab's comment, get along and see the Extraordinaires.
THE best(new)doo-wop band cuurently playing.
They sing, they jump, they jive.

M

I heard it was their last show as well and that they are splitting up...can anyone confirm?

Matt

On 2004-03-25 01:32, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

T

On 2004-03-25 01:32, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

They were one of the higlights of VLV in 2002! The Harmonaires, who are a new doo-wop group from Texas returning this year, are talented but a little too clean-cut and Happy Days for my taste. The girls loved 'em though.

The Extraordinaires are probably more like what Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers must have been like live, while the Harmonaires are more like what Dion and the Belmonts were like.

I'll be in Las Vegas that weekend, but don't know if I'll make any of the shows.... hopefully I can catch some of the TC group while I'm there!

M

You could try to meet up with us at 1pm on Saturday at the car show...look for the giant Moai and you'll find us.

Matt

M
mig posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 11:48 AM

Saturday, 1pm, giant moai, BRING YOUR LUNCH MONEY 'CAUSE I WILL KICK ALL YOUR ASSES!

Hey sweetpea,

I was in Luna Park this morning for breakfeast. Do you still work there? I sure enjoyed my waffles and peanut butter!!

S

heh, yup, still work there, but while you were having breakie, I was in the Oakland airport waiting fer my plane back from the tiki crawl. heeheee,
I'm off to Vegas tomorrow, but I'm sure after I git back on the 14th, I'll be workin every night.
(No morning shifts there for me.)
Pea

T

I'll be hittin' the road for Sin City tomorrow morn! See Y'all at the Hooch 'n' Smooch!

K

Say goodnight to Vegas, Mighty Tiki (though it appears to be "morning," Tiki has had a hard n-, well, weekend!)

Thanks to everyone that stopped by. We'll see you next year with something new!

M

Did anyone make it down for the tiki meet at 1pm on Saturday???? I was on the deck, but was so tired and delirious I forgot to hobble over!!

T

A few of us, but we were all a bit shakey still. Sweetpea, mrsmiley, mig, Johnnie and Robin Velour, and myself showed up.

Pages: 1 2 52 replies