Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Altoids, Ginger, and other Ginger / Candy items

Pages: 1 20 replies

always up for trying a new flavor/flavour of altoids, i tried the ginger-flavored/flavoured altoids last nite.

i highly recommend them for fans of ginger (the root that is)

j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-03-18 07:18 ]

The ginger altoids are good (and hot). You're right though, you have to be a ginger fan. I also like to eat the candied ginger, and real ginger ale.

Even though they make altoids in England, you can only buy the usual extra-strong mint ones over here, which drives me nuts! I'm addicted to the cinnamon ones and even the wintergreen ones go down well. The fact that such exotic altoid treats as ginger exist in the US fills me with envy.

Trader Woody

On 2004-03-12 12:25, Trader Woody wrote:
Even though they make altoids in England, you can only buy the usual extra-strong mint ones over here, which drives me nuts! I'm addicted to the cinnamon ones and even the wintergreen ones go down well. The fact that such exotic altoid treats as ginger exist in the US fills me with envy.

Trader Woody

true, true, but you have the advantage of walking a block or two for some of the best beer in the world...

cheers, j$

p.s. why don't you lobby altoids uk? i'm sure you could be persuasive...

[i]On 2004-03-12 12:28, Johnny Dollar wrotep.s. why don't you lobby altoids uk? i'm sure you could be persuasive...

I actually tried to do that a couple of years back, but I couldn't find the swine! Not even through the magic of Google could I find their address. The best I could do was some website selling American candy to Brits. Perhaps it's time for another attempt....

Trader Woody

R
Rain posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2004 12:46 PM

have you seen the cool altoids tins with the devil pinup girl woody? they actually released only a small amount before erasing her horns and re-releasing.

On 2004-03-12 12:28, Johnny Dollar wrote:

On 2004-03-12 12:25, Trader Woody wrote:

Trader Woody

true, true, but you have the advantage of walking a block or two for some of the best beer in the world...

cheers, j$

p.s. why don't you lobby altoids uk? i'm sure you could be persuasive...

Woody, you moved to Belgium? :wink:

Rev Dr FF,

I think JD was talking draft beer cough and if so he'd be right. Bottled beers.....Belgium is indeed the place starts salivating at the thought of an old Belgian bar. Those monks sure knew what to do with all that extra time on their hands....

Trader Woody

On 2004-03-11 06:40, Johnny Dollar wrote:
always up for trying a new flavor/flavour of altoids, i tried the ginger-flavored/flavoured altoids last nite.

i highly recommend them for fans of ginger (the root that is)

j$

I'll have to try those. I like ginger (the root that is), especially the old ginger ale that used to make you cough so bad that it would go up into your sinuses.
Have you ever had Sen-Sens? Tiny black squares with a huge anise-licorice-perfumey taste, and they are in a little foil envelope. I can't get them where I live, but I think you can get them online. They've been around since the 20's or 30's I believe.

http://www.samgambino.com

K

This kind of post brings out the Edith Bunker in me, "I remember when I was just a little girl...", (as Archie pantomimes sharpening a straight razor & cutting his own throat).

I remember way back when...a dusty & disreputible hole-in-the-wall store selling sudry items in downtown KC. As I passed by the store's grimy front window one day I noticed Sen-Sen on display. I had always heard that the Mafiosos like to eat Sen-Sen. So naturally, I just had to see what it was all about.

It comes in little gold, red & blue foil wrappers. Little bitty square black chips of super concentrated licorice. I tasted just one tiny chip. It is vile, like taking a great big, giant bite of soap.

Speaking of big bites, my dad took a huge bite of raw ginger root & chewed & swallowed it when he was drunk one time. It damn near killed him.

Also, there is a fancy candy bar called Chocolate XOXOXO. They have a version that is dark chocolate with big chunks of candied ginger. It doesn't sound like a good combination but it really is delicous.

That sounds SOOO good!

Here's a link for more info:
http://www.chocolove.com/bar_65_ginger.html

drool

S

And their site is done by http://www.wddg.com! The Altoids Hot site was the best, but it's gone now. Just a few pictures of the "Hot" gilr to remind us on http://www.Altoids.com

Senor Bong mentioned ginger beverages.

Anybody know of any that are superior to the Reed's family of ginger brews?

A personal favorite of mine is an obscure bar-mixer ginger beer, I think it's called "Cock N' Bull" (SUCH a promising name). I really love the flavor - I think a lot of regular ginger beers have a cloying sugary finish to them (which is why I don't care for them) - this brand was just soda with concentrated ginger and a little sugar - mix that with lime, and MMMMMM... a very crisp taste. I haven't seen this brand around in liquor stores for a while - if anybody does - PLEASE let me know, I'd love to get a stash and some limes for summertime. :)

On 2004-03-16 10:15, Geeky Tiki wrote:
Senor Bong mentioned ginger beverages.

Anybody know of any that are superior to the Reed's family of ginger brews?

Reed's ginger brew is the real deal alright. It's sold around here at Trader Joes.

J

Has anyone ever tried Stone's Ginger Wine?

http://www.stonesgingerwine.co.uk/welcome.php

I've never tried it but was told it is quite good.

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-03-16 17:21 ]

T

I hear Sen Sen used to be used to mask liquor breath if you'd been drinking on the job.

A

Frenchy, I get Cock N Bull ginger beer at Mollie Stone's in San Mateo once in a while. I never checked, but I thought it doesn't have any alcohol - maybe that's why it would be uncommon in liquor stores. Dunno about chain availability elsewhere, but I bet a lot of bigger grocery stores that have an int'l section or a big beverage section might carry it.

-Randy

Wow! Thanks!!! Yeah - NA, as most ginger beers are (I couldn't imagine what they would taste like with alcohol added - yeowch). I will definitely go check it out - it rocks!

Cock 'n Bull! Yup that's the stuff! I've found it at some of the bigger liquor stores that have a wide selection of mixers. Try it with Pimms for a tasty and refreshing Pimms Cup by combining a fair pour of Pimms over ice, filling with Cock n' Bull, garnishing with orange slice and cucumber peel. Yummo!
Stone's Ginger Wine ain't too shabby either. Tastes good cold straight, over ice, mixed with soda(can add a little vodka to this), or with Cock 'n Bull. To bring this back on topic, finish your evening of ginger cocktails with a ginger Altoid.

-Weird Unc

On 2004-03-17 05:49, tikifish wrote:
I hear Sen Sen used to be used to mask liquor breath if you'd been drinking on the job.

I found out (the hard way) that it doesn't work.

Pages: 1 20 replies