Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: How much is my Vintage Bar worth?

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hi guys! I'm new and I found this forum running a search trying to find some info on my Grandfather's old tiki bar. I assume it is from the 1950's and made of rattan. It's just gorgeous and I don't think it's ever been used outside. It has two stools and everything is in great condiditon.

Do you have any idea how I could find out the value of this thing and/or the best place to try and sell it?

I thought about e-bay but I don't think I could ship it.

Does this forum allow me to post a pic? I'd be glad to if this could help.

Thanks in advance!

Tamara

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-08-22 19:41 ]

On 2004-03-11 10:09, curlygrrl wrote:
Does this forum allow me to post a pic? I'd be glad to if this could help.

Why, yes it does.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-03-11 10:26 ]

Hi curlygrrl, welcome to TC

Go here for info on posting pics and whatnot (it's the FAQ)
http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php

It sounds as though you might have a pretty cool bar on your hands!

Let us know what part of the world you're from (use the EDIT PROFILE button found in the top right corner of this page)and someone here might be able to point you in the right direction if you still want to sell the bar.

There are TC members in almost every major (and minor) metropolitan area; I am sure if the selling price was reasonable there is someone near you who would come and pick it up.

(you're not near Chicago are you?) :wink:

Wow, thanks you guys are great, I have to take a pic of it and will post, hopefully tonight!

I'm in North Carolina!

Tamara

Rats! (but welcome to Tiki Central!)

F

Sorry guys I'm such a slacker it took me 3 months to take a picture of the thing. It's been in a corner for a year and a half, I forgot how gorgeous it really is. I think these pics came out great. Let me know what you think!

Oooohhhhh. That really is nice. You have a good one on your hands. The difficulty would be finding a high bidder who could actually go and pick it up. If it was in Southern California, it would be gone in minutes. All that being said, its worth about $25. Let me send you my address.....

My guess is that you might get close to $500 if you could locate a truly passionate buyer. To a lay person it would not be worth much.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2004-07-19 22:50 ]

An excellent bar.
Monkeyman is right.
My advice to you?
I suggest you find a friend with a truck, take it to

and make a bundle.

TB

Very nice. The drawer and cutting board are swell extras too. You don't see them often. From what I've seen that I could compare it to, I'd say that it's late 50's, very early 60's. Ebay is a tough place to sell something like that. My advice.....put it in your living room, cover the walls with tappa cloth, bamboo, and thatching, go out and buy some tiki mugs, get a ready supply of rum and invite us over for cocktails! Very cool bar.

I think $500 is on the low side. New tiki bars can cost more than that, and what you have is truly a classic.

Taking it down to Hukilau is a good idea if you want to make a bundle. I'd ask $800.

I'd also shoot myself the second someone bought it and took it away. Come on -- it was your grandfather's.

Curly- You have one hell of a nice heirlom on your hands. Personally, I'd hang onto it.

But if you must part with it, remember that you can always stipulate in the conditions of your sale that the buyer must arrange for pick up and that shipping will not be offered.
I've seen that done on more than one occasion.

Good luck. Hope to see you have a change of heart, hang onto your grandpa's pride possession and you can hang out with cool folks online, like us!

TM

That is a great bar...If I were you I'd take the advice of keeping it, you don't come across vintage items in that shape very often. Personally, I'd go with the theme and tikify your pad (what a great focal point the bar would be!)

M

hi ya'll! thanks so much for the feedback on my bar. truth be told, i don't have a place for it & i really need some money, so i'm going to try to let it go, but i'll try not to let anyone steal it. :wink:

Sure wish i could make it to hukilau, but not this year.

here's a link to my listing in case anyone is in the raleigh durham chapel hill north carolina area

Pages: 1 15 replies