Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NO EXOTICA 2004 in CHICAGO

Pages: 1 3 replies

K

It is with no small amount of regret that we must announce that there will be no official EXOTICA event in Chicago this summer.

While we are grateful for the continued interest in the event and the tiki treasures of Chicago -- as well as highly appreciative of all those who made the trip last summer -- life events for many of the EXOTICA planners have created obstacles which have either overwhelmed or precluded any actual planning efforts to make an EXOTICA weeked this summer worth your time. Everything from an outbreak of babies to cross-country moves to a number of personal projects have tripped us up in our efforts to present a coherant set of events that improve on the lessons of last summer to create the type of weekend and atmosphere we'd all like to enjoy.

Historically, the Chicago EXOTICA weekend seems to occur about once every four years, not unlike the Olympics, so this news should not be all that surprising. However, if you can't wait the four years for your next visit to Chicago, there is talk that those that remain in town may get their act together in time to field an all new event by summer of 2005. And thankfully, with or without EXOTICA, the great tiki haunts -- from Trader Vic's to Hala Kahiki to the Chef Shangri-La -- remain.

So until next times, friends, Aloha!

NOOOOOOoooooo !!!

I was finally going to be able to make an event (time/$$$/logistics/etc). You guys hate me, don't you.

-Z

kongtiki wrote:
It is with no small amount of regret that we must announce that there will be no official EXOTICA event in Chicago this summer...

Well, you can always join us here in Hoity Toity Land to fill in your Tiki gaps. (hmmm...that sounds kind of weird)

kongtiki wrote:
-- life events for many of the EXOTICA planners have created obstacles... Everything from an outbreak of babies...

What!?..James, you got some 'splainin' to do!

kongtiki wrote:
Historically, the Chicago EXOTICA weekend seems to occur about once every four years, not unlike the Olympics...

Huh? There was Exotica 1999 and 1995? Damn! And I missed the highlights of the Torch Ceremony!

:lol:
Kidding aside, I'm sure everyone will look forward to Exotica sometime in the future.

T

On 2004-03-12 10:23, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:

kongtiki wrote:
-- life events for many of the EXOTICA planners have created obstacles... Everything from an outbreak of babies...

What!?..James, you got some 'splainin' to do!

Heh, no kiddies for me!

That's the ever bashful Dave Lawrence who has spawned a lovely and adorable tot with the help of his lovely and adorable wife. Then they packed up and moved to Minnesota.

As for the rest of us: Dave Krys and I have been throwing around the idea of doing an event, but something on the scale of last year's Exotica is logistically impossible for all of those involved. So the current plan is to save our mana up and do something big and worth the wait next year.

Pages: 1 3 replies