Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Umm... A winking Mr. Bali Hai?

Pages: 1 8 replies

M

Aloha all,

I was just surfing the internet and found a web site that is selling Mr. Bali Hai... But, he's winking?! Yup, one eye is either painted over or the white was never applied.

http://www.collectorfever.com/kitsch.htm

The page reads:
"It's VOODOO to you ! Winking Native Tiki Mug for Two ! This guy has 2 holes in his head for straws so that you can share a cool drink with the object of your obsession".

Just thought I'd share.

T

Seconds

The white on the Mr Bali Hai is painted on over the glaze. Either it never got painted on, or it got washed or scraped off. He should also have painted red lips, and ideally, black pupils....

J
JTD posted on Fri, Mar 12, 2004 6:56 PM

Yep, he's pretty rough. I'd scout eBay for a couple months (OK, years) before biting on this one. One can still do better than $34 for a vintage MR. B-H - with both eyes!

-JTD

as i've gloated before... i found my Mr. Bali Hai in a dirt flea market in Lubock for $2 or so. With the lid and only a flea bite on the lid's brim. Probably my only big score for ever.

My two Mr Bali Hai's were had for $12 for the pair, though each is missing a tusk. Hell, I'm not fussy, though - what's the odd tusk between friends?

Wasn't there a short film made a few years back where a load of Mr Bali Hai's were smashed? I think it was by one of our Tiki pioneers in the days when mugs could be had for a few cents.

Trader Woody

i recall reading that it happens in the film..

THE SECRET OF EASTER ISLAND
By Jeff Berry AKA Beachbum Berry
The ultimate tiki movie, actually shot on location on Easter Island! One of the ancient stone gods comes to life, leaves home ... and discovers that the modern world is no place to be worshipped. This award-winning short comedy ran for six months on the Show Time Network and has screened at festivals around the world, from New York to Australia and Egypt to L.A. to name a few.

The messed-up eyes on that particular Bali Hai really bug me. I'd expect him to ask me about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow ala' Monty Python.
I got my Bali Hai from a flea market dealer who pointed out to me that his $18 price was less than they were going for on ebay; he was checking ebay all day and actually marked-up some of his other glassware. I reminded him that it was pack-up time and he'd failed to sell it. I got it for $12.
The cool, blase' expression in Mr. Bali Hai's eyes is my favorite thing about him.

"Yes, I'm an icon; now get on with it and dust me."

On 2004-03-13 12:28, atomictonytiki wrote:
i recall reading that it happens in the film..

THE SECRET OF EASTER ISLAND
By Jeff Berry AKA Beachbum Berry
The ultimate tiki movie, actually shot on location on Easter Island! One of the ancient stone gods comes to life, leaves home ... and discovers that the modern world is no place to be worshipped. This award-winning short comedy ran for six months on the Show Time Network and has screened at festivals around the world, from New York to Australia and Egypt to L.A. to name a few.

Yep, that's the one. I'd thought it was Bosko but couldn't be arsed to check. He was of course selling said vid.

Trader Woody

Pages: 1 8 replies