Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Save a Hawaiian shirt sale, inc. Fez Print shirt! Plus, pics of shirts I can't sell

Pages: 1 25 replies

L
laney posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2004 4:08 AM

OK, First I've been a member a looong time and never tried to sell anything here. Now, I am just getting into selling on ebay (I'll take any tips from you pros) I have to clean out the spare closet/garage! I put up several Men's shirts, I have found over my past years of thrifting. Most, I picked up because I liked the print and wanted to cut them up to make tops for me. I have way too many clothing items, that I planned to alter and won't get around to, so here they go. There's even a sure thing for the winner of the ugly shirt contest!
Any Hawaiian shirt that dosen't sell will be sacrificed (and I'm not very good at sewing!)
This weekend I'll be listing several more shirts, dresses, and vintage swimsuits.
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=eelsdeals&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Now, since I don't want to just SPAM you. Here are two men's shirts, I can't part with, even though I'll probably never wear them. They are certainly not super rare or valueable, but are sweet!
The first is not a Hawaiian, but a vintage shirt I got from a bar I worked at. We had a "Last Seinfield Episode Party" sponsored by Jack Daniels. They sent us some "Kraemer" style shirts to wear. I had first crack at the box of vintage shirts and wanted this one with a maker named Elaine (that's my name) It took us a little while to figure out the print. Can you?

ha ha, it's tag size

Check out the print on this Hawaiian Shirt

Now don't buy a mug, buy one of my shirts. You can't break a shirt!
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=eelsdeals&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-03-13 04:09 ]

I would say that's an alien face with trumpet ears and antennas...?
And the other one, how whacky! First I thought it was a native carrying the dame, but no, it's the Creature from the Black Lagoon! What the..?!
I should know, because I was a Jack Arnold (the director) fan as a teenager (in Germany). And later in LA I got to shoot the Cramps' "Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon" video.

This Shriner shirt is really beautiful. There exists one with Tikis wearing fezzes, but the Tikis are kinda ugly, not very lovingly rendered. I am curious to see what else you are NOT selling, in hopes I can use it for my shirt book.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-03-13 08:32 ]

Oh Sh*t! That's really cute!

But the creepy fern people carrying off the women - now that's gonna give me nightmares! Is there a Hawaiian legend about that, anyone know?

Good luck with your sales, Laney!

H

Oooh! Cool stuff, laney! Ya got anything freakishly small?

L

On 2004-03-13 08:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
I would say that's an alien face with trumpet ears and antennas...?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-03-13 08:32 ]

Guess again, Bigbro. Formikini's got it. Crazy huh?

K
Kono posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2004 8:44 PM

On 2004-03-13 08:55, Formikahini wrote:
But the creepy fern people carrying off the women - now that's gonna give me nightmares! Is there a Hawaiian legend about that, anyone know?

On 2004-03-13 10:18, laney wrote:

Guess again, Bigbro. Formikini's got it. Crazy huh?

Can ya please tell me more about this? Or point me to a link? I'm veddy veddy interested in the polynesian/tiki folklore. :D

The fern people pattern would make great computer wallpaper!

Oh Sh*t!

And here I thought it was a rolling Who-whozit-a-phone with an IUD attached.

S
SES posted on Sat, Mar 13, 2004 11:08 PM

Oh Shit ?

lol

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-03-13 23:09 ]

Wait a minnit, now I'm confused, Formikahini "got it" about the "fernpeople",..or about the aliens?
She didn't refer to the aliens other than sh*t (?) :wink: , and the colored print, fern people legend or not, is clearly referencing the "Creature" iconography. The guy has fish scales and webbed hands, and his posture of holding the gal is a popculture icon from that movie as much as the Aku Aku cover was for Tiki. Or?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-03-14 10:00 ]

On the close-up of the mystery shirt, locate the upper right-hand symbol, Notice that there is a symetry to it and look only at the right-hand side. There's your answer.

[ Edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-03-14 10:37 ]

I can see the Creature from the Black Lagoon influence in the "fern people" shirt, but it reminds me of the creature in another film, the name of which escapes me...cheesy old movie with a different aqua-creature that had more fan-like gills. I wanna say City Beneath the Sea, but that may be wrong.

I can't believe it...it f**ing says "Oh Sht"! That can't be vintage, can it? That's nouveaux Kramer humor.

There are quite a few homes named Llaruggub over here in the UK. Read it backwards and those in the states will still probably be non-plussed but it's the equivalant of 'Sweet FA'. It works over here because the Welsh language has many words that start with 2 L's.

ydooWrerdarTgnirober'ruoydoG

The Shriner shirt should reap big $$ by the way.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-03-14 18:07 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Mar 14, 2004 6:37 PM

On 2004-03-14 18:04, Trader Woody wrote:
There are quite a few homes named Llaruggub over here in the UK. Read it backwards and those in the states will still probably be non-plussed but it's the equivalant of 'Sweet FA'.

What the hell does "Sweet FA" mean!? All I know is it was a song by The Sweet.

Sweet FA...never gonna make it...
Sweet FA...people think we fake it...

I'm still non-plussed, I guess, what does "non-plussed" mean anyway!? The only thing I understood was "bugger all." :wink:

Seriously tho...I've always wondered what Sweet FA means.

ZAZZ!

T

Sweet Fuck All!

DANG! Laney, that has to be the nicest collection of shirts for sale I've seen in a long time.

How come such a small gal has so many XL shirts in her closet. HMMM???? :lol:

Hey, FREE shipping!!!!!!!

POOP! Too bad the men's shirt in the matching set is a medium.

L

On 2004-03-14 14:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
I can't believe it...it f**ing says "Oh Sht"! That can't be vintage, can it? That's nouveaux Kramer humor.

Hey are you questioning me?
I'd put the shirt at 60's-70's. The box they sent had all different retro shirts that had ben embroidered with "Jack Daniel's" We even had to throw out 2-one had too many stains and another had that wierd smell (poly + mothballs?)
Here's a close up of the tag, you can tell it's old.

It's also a thick poly or blend, not new. The thing about the fabric is on the tag there are bee's and on the sleve near where it was embroidered (you can see it in the pic) there is an E with a Bee. So Elaine must have made custom textiles and the shirts too! See you tonight bigbro

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-03-15 10:10 ]

L

On 2004-03-15 09:12, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
DANG! Laney, that has to be the nicest collection of shirts for sale I've seen in a long time.

How come such a small gal has so many XL shirts in her closet. HMMM???? :lol:

Hey, FREE shipping!!!!!!!

Well, I have some M and even a size S fez shirt (must have been the wife's) but not many people wear sm or med. So, I may just butcher them! When I find big shirts, with a nice print, I buy them. I've given Cory a few 2x I've found, inc. a Primo Beer shirt. I also pick things up for my friends or family while I'm thrifting.
Yea, too bad the set is a Med because you guys would look so cute in those!
Oh, and the SECOND shirt ships free. Don't go getting me in trouble here.

Oh, and the SECOND shirt ships free. Don't go getting me in trouble here.

Wasn't pointing a finger. More like "Free Shipping, YEAH!!!!!!!"

M

Bidding on the Shriner shirt...and actually winning due to a bidder retracting his bid....woo hoo!!!

What the hell does "Sweet FA" mean!? All I know is it was a song by The Sweet.

Seriously tho...I've always wondered what Sweet FA means.

Although most people use it as
Sweet Fuck All the real and original meaning is more sinister;

This infamous case concerned the murder, at Alton, of 'sweet' Fanny Adams, aged 8 years. This took place at Flood Meadow, on Saturday, 24th August 1867. To add to the horror, the victim had been decapitated and brutally mutilated. Body parts were spread over a wide area. Even by Victorian standards this was a horrific murder.

At just that time, the Navy changed its issue to the sailors from salted tack to low-grade tins of chopped up mutton,giving rise to rumours that Fanny's end and their unwelcome ration were somehow related.

And so the English language found a new expression. The chopped up meat ration became Sweet FA.

How sweet is that!

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-03-16 08:15 ]

chopped up children and sailors thats very Edward Gorey

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 16, 2004 5:38 PM

On 2004-03-16 08:10, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
And so the English language found a new expression. The chopped up meat ration became Sweet FA.

How sweet is that!

Thanks. What's weird is that I recently read that exact same story, I think on Fortean Times web site, but for some reason didn't equate it with the Sweet song. Doh!

Pages: 1 25 replies