Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

what's your favorite song by arthur lyman?

Pages: 1 10 replies

i'd probably have to say ALOHA AMIGO, w/ HONOLULU NIGHTS and HII LAWE trailing close behind.

:drink:

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-08-16 13:29 ]

I like his rendition of Misirlou.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2002-08-17 21:33 ]

Bwana A is my fave. I like to feel like I'm about to be attacked for the sins of Captain Cook while I'm supping a Mai Tai to the sound of Art Lyman.

Trader Woody

I just picked up a few more of Arthur's albums last week. I can't say I have a favorite song because so much of his stuff is really great. Of the discs I just bought, I really like Bahia. Of those I already had, Hawaiian Sunset is one one of my favorites. All the tunes are Hawaiian standards with Arthur's special touch.
I'm listening to a four volume set called Adventures in Paradise as I write this, and have a question about playing vinyl in general. How often should I change the cartridge/stylus? I've had my current one about two years and have played hundreds of exotica and polynesian albums with it -- some that were fairly dirty even after cleaning with a discwasher.
I'm sure others must have questions about record care, cleaning, stylus wear, etc. Any leads to good sites, or advice would be appreciated.

T

Discwasher is a good cleaning system. I would probably replace the stylus if I were you.

I have an great old Dual turntable from the mid-70s that even plays 78s (with a seperate cartridge).

I LOVE this company and have been ordering from them for a while (cartridges, styli), etc.:
http://www.garage-a-records.com
Click on this link for a guide to record and stylus care:
http://www.garage-a-records.com/werks.html

Mahalo Jab! Have you ever had a record cleaned on one of those wet vac machines? I'm wondering if they really make much of a difference.

T

kailuageoff wrote:
"Mahalo Jab! Have you ever had a record cleaned on one of those wet vac machines? I'm wondering if they really make much of a difference."

No, but I have considered buying one with some record-collecting friends and sharing it. But I would like to see one in action first.

"Life has surface noise" - John Peel

Trader Woody

A

[beware - non-tiki]
If I'm thinking of the same thing, my old college radio music dept had one - put in a record, close the lid, and then watch and listen as it squirts and buffs. Supposedly it did great stuff to the records, but no one ever used it. Too many LPs, too much time required, and not enough appreciable sound difference. Maybe it'd be good if someone spilled a soda on a record. The other thing was that there was some kind of warning about never using discwasher fluid again on a record once it'd been through the machine. I always pictured some hapless dj doing so, causing an LP to melt into bubbling vinyl on the turntable. Or maybe powerful static discharges shooting forth or something.

-Randy

My favourite is LOVE, and second will probably be WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONE, but it’s a tough question.

KK

Right now my favorite is Jungle Fantasy on Taboo 2...

:drink:

Pages: 1 10 replies