Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Anyone into reggae as well as exotica???

Pages: 1 21 replies

I've been into reggae music for nearly 20 years and have a gigantic collection of music from the ska era until modern dancehall...so here is my proposal...I desperately need to add some more exotica to the playlist in my bar and since I don't have any exotica worth trading (I've got the Capitol double CD's of Denny and Baxter but that's about it) would anyone be willing to trade CDR's of exotica for reggae CD's? I could fire off some mean mixes of Jamaican music for you! I'm particularly into early dancehall circa 1980-1985 before it started sounding too much like rap...when it still had real instuments, usually played by the Roots Radics - artists like Yellowman, Eek A Mouse, Josie Wales, Little John, Wailing Souls, Sister Nancy, etc. Great stuff!!

Even if you are unfamiliar with reggae or know only Bob Marley please help me out!! It can be an eye-opening experience to those unfamiliar! The CD changer in the bar is loaded with Haole Hawaiian recorded off of vinyl and it desperately needs MORE exotica! Send me a list of favorite artists, eras, etc. and I'll let you know what I've got...

As a side note...there are only a few extremely popular reggae artists that I have little or none of their music...they are Black Uhuru, Third World and Steel Pulse...always sounded too pop for my liking.....

Also just to let the tiki purists know...reggae music is never heard in my bar...tiki and reggae are two of my interests that never mix...

MB

Also just to let the tiki purists know...reggae music is never heard in my bar...tiki and reggae are two of my interests that never mix...

Don't short yourself, mon. Bamboo Ben had dreads to the middle of his back when we walked "the aisle" 14 years ago.
Alooooha Mon!

On 2004-03-14 22:39, Mrs. B wrote:

Don't short yourself, mon. Bamboo Ben had dreads to the middle of his back "when we walked "the aisle" 14 years ago."
Alooooha Mon!

Hey Mrs. B- you mean 13 years and 299 days ago!!! Luv you!

I was just telling the crew about how we left my dreads in Bob's tomb in 9 Miles, Jamaica. I'd rather not be a tiki purest and just enjoy what I like. Life's to short for borders!

Ska, play it brother, in your bar, bathroom, car, moonbase, anywhere...

huh I TOO am into tiki and think reggae can play a perfect accompaniment to tiki stuff.. i mean hell its FAR better than Buffett and the snaky island riddims seem to compliment the fierce tiki statues..is it so far off to combine the two? this forum needs RE-INTRODUCTION cuz it seems that bringing these two together might be a BOON to the tiki society..jsut an opinion..

"Midnight in Ethiopia" by Rico, one my all time fave instrumentals.

Been into "Version" as of late..

need more!!!

M
Mambo posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 6:05 PM

ya mon!

TM

As a bass player, I love those fat, thick and juicy bass parts, especially Aston Family Man .....so yeah, I love reggae!

When I play bass in either of my bands, there is almost no treble or midrange. It's always bass full on...so I like to think my tone is very similar to reggae style.

This might do ya mon --

http://www.niceup.com

Been linkin' up since '04...

I hate to break it to you all, but I'm not really that into exotica. Every now and then, a little bit, sure. But I'd mostly rather hear punk, alternate, reggae, rockabilly, and blues. I've got some Burning Spear goin on right now, in fact. Who says it doesn't mix with tiki? Good vibes are good vibes regardless. I raised my kid on the above combination- now don't tell me that doesn't mix! Play what you like in your place!

[ Edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-06-01 00:28 ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2CcFb63TUY

I guess I'm a Rebel for listening to this in my Tiki Bar, house, shop, life !! :wink:

You're a natty rebel! Thanks for sharing, that was choice.

On 2009-05-28 10:06, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
This might do ya mon --

Nice! Thanks for that.

Jamon... :D

Other than a Best Of Bob Marley I don't have any Reggae music.
I used to like to listen to the Smokin with Native Wayne show on KROQ, then Indie 103.1 on sunday afternoons.

I'd rather hear that, then Jimmy Buffet any day.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-05-28 10:06, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
This might do ya mon --

I need to get out more often on this here e box.

Mucho mahalos for this Kelbo!

I'm hooked!

:D

D
Danno posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2009 9:48 AM

Mama Africa - Peter Tosh!!

Cherry oh, Cherry oh, baby,
Dont you know Im in need of thee?
If you dont believe its true,
What have you left me to do?
So long I,ve been waiting,
For you to come right in.
And now that we are together,
Please make my joy run over.
(Chorus)
Oh oh ee oh oh ee oh,
Oh oh ee oh ee oh ee oh.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Yah.
Oh, yeah.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.
Cherry, oh, Cherry, oh, baby,
Dont you know Im in love with you?
If you dont believe I do, Then why dont you try me?
Im never gonna let you down, Never make you wear no frown. If you say you love me madly, Then I will receive you gladly. (Chorus) Cherry, oh, Cherry, oh, baby, Dont you know Im in love with you? If you dont believe I do,
Then why dont you try me? Im never gonna let you down,
Never make you wear no frown.
If you say you love me madly,
Then why do you treat me badly

M
Mambo posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 1:06 PM

I'm into roots reggae.
just heard Max Romeo "chase the devil".
great tune!

any of you hear the Dub star all stars?
they do tributes to classic rock and alt rock bands.

I have the Dub side of the moon cd.
man that makes me want to start smoking weed.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 21 replies